• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ever re-purpose an extra ATX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoMonitor

Registered
First off, I don't care if I catch flak for this. It's my project, my house, my equipment, and my life. If you don't want to do it, fine; don't.

DISCLAIMER: I, nor overclockers.com or any affiliates are responsible for damage resulting from improper use of a power supply or any other components listed in this thread.

I am quite aware of the dangers of computer power supplies, their limitations, current demands, and proper cooling, however, I am curious to see if anybody else on here has ever re-purposed an ATX power supply to run a car amp off a 120 line.

Seeing as I build electronics all day, I know full well the repercussions of over-current draw on an ATX power supply, but if you do it right there is very little need to worry. When in use, I keep an eye on it at all times and a smoke detector sitting on top of it with a fire extinguisher in the room.

For my application, I modified a 480w/24A/12v AP-P4ATX48F AthenaPower PSU to run a Dual 400w sub-woofer amp. (switched to a California Profile 2000w)

Since the AP-P4ATX48F is a single-rail design on the 12v rail providing a peak of 24A across the rail, I decided this would meet my requirements on the Dual amp as long as I ran it in 2-channel 4-Ohm (50RMS/channel) ensuring that I would never peak out to or above the 24A rating of the 12v rail (assuming their ratings are correct, which I am sure they aren't).

I started out by bypassing the "PS-ON" function and soldered the "PS-ON" wire to an open through-hole ground location on the PCB. This fools the PSU into thinking there is a motherboard attached to the supply and allows it to power up. Since there is already an on/off switch built into the back of the supply, this is all I needed.

The next step involved soldering all of the +12v (yellow) wires together to achieve full current from the 12v rail. [while it is a single rail, the rail is split into about 20 small gauge wires, combining the wires allows you full current from the rail.] All yellow +12v wires were wrapped in electrical tape up to the soldered end leaving the soldered wires exposed.

Once all +12v yellow wires were soldered very solidly together, I did the same for the ground wires. All black ground wires were soldered together, and wrapped in electrical tape leaving the soldered end exposed.

299406_3666685783157_1506939345_n.jpg

I clipped off the sharp tips on the exposed solder joints, connected the +12v yellow bundle to the + connector on the amp, the black ground bundle to the - connector on the amp, added a jumper between + on the amp and remote to allow the amp to power up, and connected my subs using a 2 channel, 4ohm, 50 RMS per channel setup.

The speakers I am using are two 12" 1300w Sony Xplōd subs, and while absolutely underpowered, they fill my entire room with penetrating bass.

The PSU remains completely cold to the touch after hours of operation, and the voltage only fluctuates between 12.05v (while pounding hard) and 12.5v while nothing is playing.

Overall I am quite happy with how this project turned out, but I will likely end up buying a bench supply that can handle much more current or buy a home theater amplifier in the distant future to power this setup.

Happy modding!

IMG_20121007_154853.jpg

PS: don't burn down your house trying to draw more current than it's rated for. If you have no experience working with or building high-current applications, do not attempt this modification. I am not liable for risk of fire or electrocution that can lead to death or property damage. Always use proper personal protective equipment while handling high-current equipment!

Nice job!

I kind of miss the days where it was acceptable to put a car speaker box in my house... Im so old... :p

i have done that before but i ended up using one of these so it looked more clean plus you can adjust the voltage on it i run mine at 14.4v because the amps are alot more efficient around there (e.g. 12v rms 250w @4 ohms - 14.4v rms 300w @ 4ohms) though most amps can be run to to 16v i dont care to turn it up that much as idk how efficient the power supply gets with more output volts

i use this to power the subwoofer in my home theater setup :)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7346463&postcount=433

Last edited:
i have done that before but i ended up using one of these so it looked more clean plus you can adjust the voltage on it i run mine at 14.4v because the amps are alot more efficient around there (e.g. 12v rms 250w @4 ohms - 14.4v rms 300w @ 4ohms) though most amps can be run to to 16v i dont care to turn it up that much as idk how efficient the power supply gets with more output volts

i use this to power the subwoofer in my home theater setup :)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7346463&postcount=433

Nice. Yeah, I was looking into those when I decided to go with the ATX; The only reason I really used the ATX was because I needed something that day (what are subs without power?) :attn:

I really wish they would fit in my truck, damn single cab lol.

:thup: they do still work pretty nice :) used a normal psu to power my old 250w fosgate amp that drove my t series 6x9's on my computer for a bit, but wifey didnt like how loud it was lol

Awesome. I've used 'em for running a lighting project as well as for running a flyback coil (even worse idea than opening PSUs, for reference).
Thanks for posting that! Nice to see modding that doesn't involve paint, tinsnips and cases from time to time :D

I am curious to see if anybody else on here has ever re-purposed an ATX power supply to run a car amp off a 120 line.

Yes. Blew the PSU in one evening. Decent (for them) 700W Wintec design with indy regulation. The design couldn't handle the strain and it gave me a light show after 2 hours.

It was powering an amp good for only 250W of legit power at the time.

Anytime you do this, you roll the dice. I personally continue to recommend against powering car amps with computer PSUs. If you must do it, use a PSU big enough to handle the considerable inrush current some of these car amps are capable of drawing. This PSU must be indy regulated, or they will often shut down due to over/under voltage protection.

would a large capacitor help with that OK wolf, by smoothing the voltage? i have a couple 1 farad 16v caps :)

I doubt it.

It's the powering up of the amp that's the hard part for the PSU... that's how mine died. Too much current too quickly. Blew the PFC section. Extra capacitors wouldn't have done much for that, if anything.

ah, weird. lol so the initial power up of the amp killed it like the amp charging its capacitors?

Yep. Massive inflow of current, the PFC MOSFETs couldn't handle it, kapow.

I've got a 1500W unit on the shelf that could probably power a good sized car amp, but I should never need to use it. I have a QSC 1850W pro audio amp I can use instead. Always best to use something that has a power supply correctly designed for the load in the first place. When you can go out and get something like a Behringer EP4000, which will do 2kW into 4 ohms bridged all day long, for $300... there's really no point to even bothering with the car amp and computer PSU thing unless you're totally broke and willing to deal with the potential consequences.

damn i know what im looking into next year :) that with an 18" fi btl would = sex
http://store.ficaraudio.com/n218/

why the hell couldnt i find anything like that when i was looking for pretty much the same exact thing.

only reason im using what im using now is because i already had everything but the psu lol and it was 40 bucks but its different from a pc psu.

Yep. There's a lot you can do with 2kW of legit amplifier power output. You should see what I'm doing with only 700W out of the 1850W my QSC is capable of ;)

Let's just say my subwoofers have broken some pieces off the house...

i know what it can do :D
my old system i miss her, its in my lil bros truck now lol 2kw on the subs and 500w on highs, wife thinks thats what made me "deaf" ;)
its nothin fancy though no steve meade 30kw 4 18's lol i only had a pickup to work with :D

Back