• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EverCold Water Chiller... Feasible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adamwinn

My boss happened to buy one of these hoping to install it in his kitchen, but it won't fit under the sink and its too late to return it.

Product Page:
http://waterinc.mwrc.net/en/product.php?product_id=966

Spec Sheet:
http://www.waterinc.com/pdf/evercold.pdf

I've not had much experience with water-chillers and frankly didn't even think about using this thing for a computer until a few days ago when I noticed it had 1/4" quick-connect input and output spickets on it.

It has an adjustable thermostat so I'm hoping it might be feasible to use this w/out regassing it. Though it does have a service port on it so it wouldn't be too bad to regas.

Thoughts?

cooling capacity: <100W (98w or 86w)

IMO:

any "modern" CPU (or GPU) will overload that thing fast...and then if its OCed and/or over-volted... :(
(although, ive never worked with a chiller either)

ebay it and buy a used machII GT ;)
(if your boss will give it to you)

Last edited:
Joe Camel said:
cooling capacity: <100W (98w or 86w)

IMO:

any "modern" CPU (or GPU) will overload that thing fast...and then if its OCed and/or over-volted... :(
(although, ive never worked with a chiller either)

ebay it and buy a used machII GT ;)
(if your boss will give it to you)
True about the watt rating, but wouldn't it still make some sort of difference, or will it just damage the machine?

Last edited:
And only one gallon per minute.

If you can get it from your boss, think about working on it by increasing its heatload capacity, eg regassing, etc. Also change the pump, horribly inadequate.

get a bigger compressor, buy a used Vapo or Mach bla bla bla..

seriously though, it depends on what it has for a compressor to tell if modifications of the unit will be enough.

This chiller is worthless for cooling a computer. But if you get it for free maybe the compressor is decent and you can yank that out and toss the rest.

Compressor displacement: 2.43 cubic cm.. uhhhhh if you get it, sell it.
My wild guess is about 1/10 HP, I wouldn't want to go through the trouble of dismantaling it for that (not to mention resale value used is likely worth more then the compressor is to you)

Joe Camel said:
temps will just keep going up up up till the computer locks up and/or the compressor over heats and (hopefully) trips its own over temp safety switch.

EDIT:

here is a graph of what the MachII GT and Vapo LS can do:
(see if you can guess where they go into "thermal overload"...it aint pretty)

lsvsgtgrapha4sb.jpg

graph is from this review:
http://www.xtremeresources.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=23

So the GT runs cooler, but the Vapo can take more of a load. I'd personally go with the GT... well, actually, with today's high-end cards and dual-core in conjunction, the GT may not keep up, eh?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, in reference to the chiller in question:

WAIT WAIT!!!

What if you put a rad in right before the liquid goes back into the compressor? Wouldn't that then cool off the liquid to around room temperature before it enters back into the compressor???

So basically...
START > FINISH (either 1 or 2):
1. CHILLER > CPU > GPU > RAD > CHILLER [CYCLE]
2. CHILLER > GPU > CPU > RAD > CHILLER [CYCLE]

Yes... No?

It would make the chiller totally useless. It would just drag temps up to ambient, and since the chiller would be much less efficient at removing the heat at that point, it'd just be sitting there.

Gautam said:
It would make the chiller totally useless. It would just drag temps up to ambient, and since the chiller would be much less efficient at removing the heat at that point, it'd just be sitting there.
I don't understand... if the liquid enters the CPU block and heats up to let's say 50C, then hits the rad and cools down to 30C (almost room temp), then goes through the chiller to hit 15C. That wouldn't work? At least you'd still be pumping colder water than room temp, no?

in a water loop the change in water temp from "in" and "out" (of any 1x part...RAD, CPU WB, pump) will only be (@ MOST) 1C higher or lower. (edit: once the loop hits its equilibrium)

that is the rule of thumb for "normal" water cooling loops and since most things in science (physics) dont radically change, id assume its about the same in a "chiller" loop too.

Joe Camel said:
in a water loop the change in water temp from "in" and "out" (of any 1x part...RAD, CPU WB, pump) will only be (@ MOST) 1C higher or lower. (edit: once the loop hits its equilibrium)

that is the rule of thumb for "normal" water cooling loops and since most things in science (physics) dont radically change, id assume its about the same in a "chiller" loop too.
Yes, you're right (trying to remember physics classes, lol). Yes, I have a BS in Physics, but I tend to forget.

In any case, given that, wouldn't a rad + weak chiller still be better than just a rad? I'm sure it is at least a tiny bit, but would it be worth it at all if you could have the chiller for free?

I mean, the fact that the chiller can't keep up with the amount of watts produced by heat is obvious, but wouldn't a rad help enough to make up for the weaker chiller, or no?

Joe Camel said:
under the assumption that a chiller can double the change in temp from in to out, your looking @ 2C lower water temps and the electricity bill for running a chiller...
< Takes off glove and slaps JC with it >
"You've insulted my integrity. I challenge you to a duel!!"

Back