• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EverCold Water Chiller... Feasible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Joe Camel said:
integrity shmegredy...were all learning here! :p

chew on this theory for a "fun time":
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=277159&page=1&pp=30

in all honesty, i still cant wrap my brain around fluid thermal dynamics, but i can follow the "rules of thumb"

PS :beer:

I took Thermo... in my opinion it was harder than Quantum. Although, thermo had easier theories to grasp.

If I only went to class more often, I may have near ACED it cuz I'm REALLY good in calc/diff eq. It dealt a lot with math, but the real challenge is understanding when to use what formulas.

We used to work in groups on the HWs b/c they were so hard (even though the prof told us not to). Everyone else would help figure out how to start the problem, and then I'd do all the math for them. :)

I even kept my txt book... maybe I'll dig it up someday for ya. ;)

g0dM@n said:
So the GT runs cooler, but the Vapo can take more of a load. I'd personally go with the GT... well, actually, with today's high-end cards and dual-core in conjunction, the GT may not keep up, eh?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, in reference to the chiller in question:

WAIT WAIT!!!

What if you put a rad in right before the liquid goes back into the compressor? Wouldn't that then cool off the liquid to around room temperature before it enters back into the compressor???

So basically...
START > FINISH (either 1 or 2):
1. CHILLER > CPU > GPU > RAD > CHILLER [CYCLE]
2. CHILLER > GPU > CPU > RAD > CHILLER [CYCLE]

Yes... No?

...look if you charge the system correctly for the given load you wont have any liquid to deal with after the evap. Stop fantazising and go by the industries golden rule, size things properly and you wont have problems.

I've got a vapo classic right now - but i'm curious about doing a chiller on another system so i don't have to do a multi-head dd system cuz i really want to cool my gpu.

Do you want a chiller to run full time or just for benching?

From what Ive seen chillers need more HP then DD units for similar results.

The compressor in this thing is too small for either IMHO. (Im sure thats a moot point by now)

Right now the rig in question is full-time watercool so it would be full-time chiller. Its my brother's box actually, so I'm not that disappointed. When I saw that the compressor was less than 3cc displacement I realized this wasn't even close to possible =P

For a full time chiller Id keep an eye out for a 1/2HP hermatic compressor.
If it were for benching a big freaking rotary would rock :D

Pf.Farnsworth said:
...look if you charge the system correctly for the given load you wont have any liquid to deal with after the evap. Stop fantazising and go by the industries golden rule, size things properly and you wont have problems.

?? Not sure if I understand you...

g0dM@n said:
?? Not sure if I understand you...

I think he was being somewhat cryptic in telling you to do some research (or follow what you already know about phase systems) and find out (or again go by what you already know) that if the system is correctly charged and sized for it's heat load the problems you were trying to solve would not exist.
If I'm understanding him correctly.

adamwinn said:
I've got a vapo classic right now - but i'm curious about doing a chiller on another system so i don't have to do a multi-head dd system cuz i really want to cool my gpu.

Were you considering upgrading your vapo classic into a dual head DD?

Last edited:
you have to resize the condencer and recharge it to hand the capasity, get a larger displacment compressor, IE by the time you're don you've built a system from scratch. so sell it and use the money to buy the right parts.

XeonStrikeForce said:
you have to resize the condencer and recharge it to hand the capasity, get a larger displacment compressor, IE by the time you're don you've built a system from scratch. so sell it and use the money to buy the right parts.

:p your sumation of re-enginering the vapo is spot on.

Back