• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 780i FTW to be out soon in May

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
The EVGA 780i is currently undergoing a significant revamp and we can expect to see a new version in the shape of 780i FTW.

See here:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=341614

Main improvements over the current EVGA 780i will be (as per EVGA's Jacob):
  • Full solid caps
  • 8 Phase Power Design
  • Improved/more flexible BIOS
  • Extremely reduced VDroop
  • Waterblock/fan combination
You'll have the option of air or water cooling on the NB, something that is a must to clock quads and SLI and they just tax the NB.

As I've sold my 790i last night I'll be waiting for this board to host my QX9650 and GTS SLI :D

Attachments

• 780iftwms0.jpg
    780iftwms0.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 776
Last edited:
Brolloks!!! I love you!!! This is the board I've been waiting soooo long for!!! God I can't wait till it gets released :eek:

Last edited:
Brollocks!!! I love you!!! This is the board I've been waiting soooo long for!!! God I can't wait till it gets released :eek:

LOL...thanks :)

If they can fix the v-droop then I'll be one happy chappy, the rest is a bonus, the 780i IMO is the best nVidia board they have released thus far, so the FTW variant looks like it will be a killer baord.

I think I have found my next board. I hate to be the one to comment on "bling", but is it me or is that heatsink pretty sexy looking?

This might sound like a odd question but exactly do they mean by "waterblock / fan" combination? If you were going to wc the NB wouldn't you just pop off the hs and install a waterblock?

It's already a waterblock, and a massive HS at the same time!

Look more closely at the top pick...do you see the fittings?

It's already a waterblock, and a massive HS at the same time!

Look more closely at the top pick...do you see the fittings?

Wow I completely missed that. :bang head

As a typical rule, how are the included water blocks that come with board like that? Are they generally worthwhile to keep on or do people tend to swap them out regardless?

I'm saving, I know this is gonna be like a $400 board when it hits. Pricey? Yes, but I've anticipated it's release for like the last 3 months or so, so price is a pill I can swallow :D

*Edit for above - I may be wrong, but I have yet to see any board that comes with a water block for the NB.

You have the option to cool the NB just with a fan on the heatsink or use the waterblock.

@Jason, this board is calling you my friend, do not try and ignore it ;)

@OldSkool...there are a few boards out there wil NB waterblocks on it, some of the Asus high end boards have it.

Whats so great about this board? Other than supporting DDR3? I also heard that DDR3 will be worse in gaming because of the CAS or somthing.

I'm a noob but I don't understand the differences between boards that make them so much better?
Example, like the DS3L board versus this board? I realize the DS3L doesn't have SLI, but if you don't want SLI whats the difference?

Last edited:
@ technoViking, please read my 1st post for differences...also this board will be DDR2 and not DDR3

I'm saving, I know this is gonna be like a $400 board when it hits. Pricey? Yes, but I've anticipated it's release for like the last 3 months or so, so price is a pill I can swallow :D

*Edit for above - I may be wrong, but I have yet to see any board that comes with a water block for the NB.

There are not many, but there are a few MB's out there that have included water blocks on the NB. Some have just water blocks, some are water blocks and air coolers (like this one), and the soon to be released Foxconn X48 Black OPs is a water block, air cooler, and LN2/DI tube all-in-one!

:beer:

Alex just confirmed that this will be in the stepup program for 780i users, i may have gotten a bad batch 780i, and not that its not great and all but the vdroop is friggin disgusting, the 780i FTW has a BIOS option on vdroop where you can reduce it to .01, that to me would be satisfactory.

Holy shnazz that NB heatsink is a beast. It's almost as big as my cpu heatsink :eek:

I'm just waiting for that thing to retail over 300$, if it does it will be a real disapointment.

Alex just confirmed that this will be in the stepup program for 780i users, i may have gotten a bad batch 780i, and not that its not great and all but the vdroop is friggin disgusting, the 780i FTW has a BIOS option on vdroop where you can reduce it to .01, that to me would be satisfactory.

The v-droop on the 780i is an easy fix with a simple pencil mod, same as the 680i mod, and my v-droop improved from 0.06 to 0.001 volts, give it a try.

Back