• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 780i FTW to be out soon in May

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It almost looks like the barbs would interfere with the cpu heatsink...especially a TRUE.

I did the pencil mod Brolloks, im running 3.6 @ 1.4125v 9 hours prime. Problem is we shouldnt have to do the mod, i heard evga specified solid caps and some other things on the 780i and foxconn used otherwise. The fact that i paid $249 for a motherboard that turned out to be such a PoS is what makes me mad, Indeed even if this 780i ftw retails for 350 i will pay it and step up personally i think Evga should keep this around $300 retail. Id be willing to send in my 780i.

I really wish Nvidia would work on their chipsets though, and the memory controller on this board is so problematic for fine tuning.

I did the pencil mod Brolloks, im running 3.6 @ 1.4125v 9 hours prime. Problem is we shouldnt have to do the mod, i heard evga specified solid caps and some other things on the 780i and foxconn used otherwise. The fact that i paid $249 for a motherboard that turned out to be such a PoS is what makes me mad, Indeed even if this 780i ftw retails for 350 i will pay it and step up personally i think Evga should keep this around $300 retail. Id be willing to send in my 780i.

I really wish Nvidia would work on their chipsets though, and the memory controller on this board is so problematic for fine tuning.

I 100% agree with you...be glad you did not buy the 790i, it has the worst v-drop and v-droop I've ever seen, it is unacceptable that a high end board has a shortcoming like that...they say the 780i FTW will have much reduced v-droop, we'll see...

Sorry for being a noob.... But what is a v-drop and v-droop?

Someone please enlighten me on this.

V-drop is when there is a drop (difference) in voltage from what you set it in the bios and what is registered in Windows (via CPUz). V-droop is when the v-core drops from when the CPU is idle to when put under load, both makes OCing more challenging than what it should be, the latter being the worst.

Hope this helps :)

It almost looks like the barbs would interfere with the cpu heatsink...especially a TRUE.

but who water cools the NB and air cools the CPU? It is hard to see in the pic, but it looks like the water block is removed in the lower pic then replaced by some sort of shroud. I can also see some wires coming from inside of the shroud that is possibly the fan.

Is cooling and tri-sli the only advantage to this mobo over the 750i?

--pak

No, this board has been redesigned to what it should have been on release, they are allowing a BIOS option to get true voltage readings and eliminate the vdop and vdroop, as well as better cooling on the chipset and much higher quality caps.

Well, if I get around to rebuilding this rig completely, this is the route I will go. Looks good, will be interested to see how well it overclocks and how the 45nm quads do on it.

Main improvements over the current EVGA 780i will be (as per EVGA's Jacob):
  • Full solid caps
  • 8 Phase Power Design
  • Improved/more flexible BIOS
  • Extremely reduced VDroop
  • Waterblock/fan combination
You'll have the option of air or water cooling on the NB, something that is a must to clock quads and SLI and they just tax the NB.

No...would help to read the 1st post, the differences are stated there.

The first quote states its advantages over the 780i. It is my understanding that the difference between the 780i and the 750i(correct me here if I am wrong) are the 750i does not have tri sli, but over clocks much better. And with that in mind, this boards advantage over the 750i is tri sli and cooling.

--pak

The 750i has the same caps and power phases as the regular 780i as well as =vdrop and vdroop, so again no tri-sli and cooling are not the only differences. This board will allow a much more stable and constant voltage setting by comparison.

Damn, i just got my 780i from the 680i stepup, looks like i'm sol=FTL-lol
On a side note,
I wish the motherboard manufacturers would take a cue from DFi and leave the mobo bare without all those heatpipes. Or include them is a separant box and leave the mobo bare. I usually watercool anyway and like picking out my own cooling solution.
Anyway, seems a little too late as i will sell the 780i and keep my dfi t2R x38 which has more to offer, imo.

The first quote states its advantages over the 780i. It is my understanding that the difference between the 780i and the 750i(correct me here if I am wrong) are the 750i does not have tri sli, but over clocks much better. And with that in mind, this boards advantage over the 750i is tri sli and cooling.

--pak

Exactly what shadowmonk said

I believe eVGA is holding the board back until they discover the reason for the "mysteriously random" video corruption many 780i users are expieriencing, i think they realize they pushed it to market way to fast and with mediocre construction at best so they are trying to make sure this version is rock solid. Personally if its half the board they say its gonna be im plop down 120$ for the stepup, now if they could get rid of that buggy nVidia chipset :p

WTB Decent NB....period...

Back