• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 780i FTW to be out soon in May

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Id like to see it released at the end of May, but i wouldnt mind early June if it meant they could fix 1 extra item.

I'd prefer early June as well, actually. Gimme more time to save as I'd like to simply just buy it right away as soon as it comes out.

Are we going to see a 790i that is data corruption free? Apart from that, is it easy to hit 550FSB with this chipset? I'm sorry but I've been using Intel P35's all these while.

If the 780i FTW is anything like the 780i I will moct definately get one just for that fancy cooling...I just got my 2nd 780i over the weekend and I just love it, it took me one go to kick the QX9650 up to 4.05 Ghz stable with 1.4 v-core, all other settings on auto, whereas it took me 2 hrs to get it stable at 1.43 v with the 790i. IMO the 790i should be scrapped and they should bring out thye 780i in a DDR3 variant for those that want DDR3.

The 780i bios is not optimized for the E7200 though as I'm hitting a wall around 1600 FSB QDR whereas with the IP35 Pro I can run all the way to 3.8 with auto voltages.

Last edited:
but who water cools the NB and air cools the CPU? It is hard to see in the pic, but it looks like the water block is removed in the lower pic then replaced by some sort of shroud. I can also see some wires coming from inside of the shroud that is possibly the fan
That isn't what I meant >.>

They look high enough to hit the heatsink regardless of how the NB is cooled.

I'm a nub to OCing, but why would DDR2 be better than DDR3? Only difference I can tell from a bit of research is CAS latency being lower on DDR2...but what exactly does that equate to when OCing?

DDR3 is just kinda shotty atm, it really does bring the performance increase expected especially in OC'ing applications, granted some people have had good results theres still DDR2 sticks that can perform just as well

I'm interested, but I've been seeing comments about data corruption and SATA problems... true or false?

I have had no issues with data corruption, the people who are having trouble either have their ram timings to tight on the overclock or are clocking the mem high and not supplying the chipset with enough voltage.

Emailed evga asking for any info about the board (I'm sure they hate emails like that) and I got the simple reply....

EVGA said:
We should see an ETA VERY soon .

Joe

While an ETA would be nice, I'd rather see the board itself very soon.. lol

I'm a nub to OCing, but why would DDR2 be better than DDR3? Only difference I can tell from a bit of research is CAS latency being lower on DDR2...but what exactly does that equate to when OCing?

DDR3
1. gets a huge increase in bandwith at the cost of higher latency
2. consumes less power

I think with proper governance we will be seeing next generations of memory releasing much faster than it took DDR to DDR2 to release.

In the EVGA community boards from Jacob: "Very soon" still. I'm guessing* the second week of this month, just after Father's Day ;)

Edit - *hoping

Back