• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eVGA 7900GTX EGS (vanilla)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
bignick said:
Also isn't an opty 165 a dual core? You really can't compare a single core to a dual core. I'm sure if he had a Pentium D his score would be 10,000+ in 05'. I'm surprized your 06' score isn't much higher dual cores really excel in 06'. Most of the time doubling there CPU score vs. similar clocked single core.

Yes the 165 is dual core but 3DMark05 was always thought to be a GPU bound test which meant CPU power wasn't taken into count much. So I was really surprised when I scored lower than 10k in 05 on my intel rig. So surprised in fact I reformatted my rig twice, tried 3 different drivers, and played around with the detail settings in the nvidia settings panel moreso than I ever had. After doing all that I decied to throw the card in my opty rig and give it a whirl. I even left the older whql drivers on the rig (81.98) and saw the 10k scores I expected to see.

If you look around on the orb, AMD competely dominates the top 7900gtx scores. I didn't see an intel posting until like the 3rd page... Of course you have to account for SLI setups but it's pretty clear when a rig is running SLI, i.e. 15k+ scores.

The 3DMark06 scores are expected though as they do utilize dual core CPU's much better, so I didn't think that score was low at all.

Anyways, since I'm playing all my games on the intel rig with the 7900gtx at max settings i dont think for a second that my rig is "inferior" to a similar equipped AMD rig, however, I do know for a fact for benchmarking the AMD rig will kill me. Does this hurt my feelings at all? Heck no, i still love my intel rig. I'm just hoping (on a wing and a prayer) I can get a bios update and throw a conroe cpu in there this fall :)

EDIT: There's a Pentium D @ 5Ghz on page 2 now 11.4kish....next one in on Page 3 @ 4.4Ghz and scored 10.8kish. So yes it seems dual core CPU's have an edge in 05 but current pentiums arent a match for the AMD's unless you o/c the hell out of them. Have to mention though the orb doesnt show GPU clocks yet so who knows what clocks all the 7900gtx in there are running at. I did both of my runs with the GTX @ stock clocks.

Last edited:
bignick said:
I am curious to see what my system scores. I ordered a 7900GT it should be here on the 27th. (NEVER ORDER ANYTHING FROM MONARCH) My best score with a 6800GS and P4 630@3825 is 6513. I would think the 7900GT should give me at least 1500-2000 points. There are many tweaks that you might be overlooking. I here the P4 bottleneck garbage all the time. Look at my CPU score I don't think my CPU holding me back. http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1798121

I had a x850xt in my intel rig b4 i threw the 7900gtx in there. @ 3.9ghz and the raddy @ 550/590 i scored 6642. I havent ran 05 on the opty rig with the 6800gt in there but I expect similar scores. I'll run 05 tonight and see what I get.

Well i got 5715 with 6800gt @ 400/1100 and opty @ 2.4ghz. I forgot what we were tryim to see with that tho :)

Illyest said:
Well I've got her up and running and finally have been able to run some benchies, games and preliminary overclocking. The first thing I noticed in coolbits is it says the memory is running at 800mhz (I was expecting 1600mhz). Initially I thought coolbits was cutting it in half now unlike previous nvidia cards and thought nothing of it. I then decided to load up ATITool for temp monitoring purposes and it shows the memory running @ 400mhz :eh?: .

As I became very curious I installed the same driver and ATITool version (beta 84.20/beta 25.14 respectively) on my 6800gt rig (rig2 in sig). Low and behold coolbits showed 1100mhz on the mem and ATITool showed 550mhz.

I'm not sure what to make of this but benchies seem to be performing on par with reviews around the web and the few games I've tested (F.E.A.R., BF2, X3, Rainbow Six:Lockdown) all performed well at max settings @ 1280x1024.

Anyone have a 7900gtx and noticed this?

I just got mine up and running. My first 05 benchmark I got 9575 stock. I just started to overclock the thing. First I did, 675/1650, then 690/1700, then 702/1750, but I got a 5976 in 05, so I knew I went too far. I'm back @ 690/1700, and it seems to be rock solid. My sig will update, once I run all other tests today. Well, in a few minutes. :D

Don't let them tell you 05' isn't CPU dependent. IMO it's the most CPU dependent other than 01'. To give you an example I had a Celeron D 3.06@ 3600mhz and my system scored 5093. All I did was pop in my 630 at stock clocks and it went to 5813. My score with the 630@3600 is 6124. That's over a thousand points by a processor change. I wasn't tring to say that Intels would run neck and neck with AMD's (Benchmark wise). Damn I wish my card would come in so I could play.

Back