• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED The Best Games of the Current Generation [Community Poll]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To start I must say that the mmorpgs are at the top of my list...

EQ 1 and 2
WOW. Plus expansions of course.

Because of the worldwide playability, I understand these weren't the first but they really were the pioneers of what will come next. Hehe.

Skyrim - graphics and lots and lots of playtime capability. A superior environment.

Crysis - still my test bed for my puter. Pushed graphics and an immersive environment.

Portal - something that challenges the mind with an educational script. Yet comical as well.

Ehh well there's five.......

Do recent video game remakes count? If that's the case this would be my top 5 video games within the last 10 years.

#1 Best: Baldurs Gate 2 - Was rereleased in 2013
#2 Best: The Witcher 2 (2011)
#3 Best: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006)
#4 Best: Age Of Empires II Conquers Edition (Rereleased in 2013)
#5 Best: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

All 9.5+ Rated games and some of the greatest video games in history, so they make my top 5 list. Yes,I love roleplaying games.

#1: Team Fortress 2 from release up to Engineer Update
To this day, still haven't put as many hours into a single game than I have TF2, and I haven't played more than a few hours since shortly after the Engineer update. Ended up doing all kinds of scrims, ESEA seasons, IRC, all of that. Finding the right group of guys to play with ended up being the single most fun thing I have ever done in video games. I have gotten close in a couple of DOTA 2 matches with 2 or 3 friends, but the consistent fun, and serious competition, I experienced in the first couple of years of TF2 will probably never be matched by a video game again, for me.
#2: Metal Gear Solid 4
The sole reason I purchased my PS4. The graphics, atmosphere, and story were all way ahead of their time. The stealth gameplay could be insanely difficult, but was uber-satisfying. The action gameplay was MILES ahead of any other Metal Gear game, and that combined with graphics unlike anything else that had been seen up to that point, made this an incredible experience. One of the few story-driven games I've bothered to play through and beat multiple times.
#3: Skyrim
I think this game's reputation more or less speaks for itself. I could never really get immersed into Oblivion, personally. I enjoyed this game on PS3, but once I got it for PC and started taking advantage of the enormous modding community, it put this game on a whole new level. A combination of dozens of graphics mods, plus interface overhauls like SkyUI, Categorized Favorites Menu, A Detailed Map with Roads, and gameplay overhauls like Skyrim Redone, Duel Combat Simulator, Deadly Dragons and Monsters, and Frostfall made this THE ultimate fantasy RPG for me, and still a game I play on the daily.
#4: Soul Calibur 2
Played this for Gamecube. The first fighting game that I really got into the Metagame for. Learned the strengths and weaknesses of each character, and of each of their weapons. Not sure if I was just too much of a noob, or if this game was that good, but everything felt supremely balanced, and having a friend who started actually practicing and learning the intricacies of his favorite characters (and mine) made this even more fun. Plus there were some legitimately compelling single-player modes, which are hard (if not impossible) to come by in fighting games. I chased that same feeling with Street Fighter 4 and Marvel vs Capcom 3, but neither captivated me quite like Soul Calibur.
#5: Super Meat Boy
The kind of difficult that you never feel hopeless about. You always feel like you're a split-second or a half-inch away from success, no matter how many times you fail at the same spot. The music, story, and overall style of this game is awesome.

Last edited:
#1: Team Fortress 2 from release up to Engineer Update
#3: Skyrim

Skyrim didn't make my list because IMO, it's an overrated and boring game. The other games were considerably better and the only thing Skyrim had going for it, was graphics. Graphics alone don't and shouldn't make a good video game. The Witcher 2 came out in the same year, had vastly superior graphics (if you count graphics) and was an exceptionally better game than Skyrim so the Witcher 2 deserves a better spot.

Skyrim wasn't HORRIBLE though. There's just much better games than it and I think most reviewers and gamers will agree with me, that it was a massive letdown and disappointment.

Skyrim didn't make my list because IMO, it's an overrated and boring game. The other games were considerably better and the only thing Skyrim had going for it, was graphics. Graphics alone don't and shouldn't make a good video game. The Witcher 2 came out in the same year, had vastly superior graphics (if you count graphics) and was an exceptionally better game than Skyrim so the Witcher 2 deserves a better spot.

Skyrim wasn't HORRIBLE though. There's just much better games than it and I think most reviewers and gamers will agree with me, that it was a massive letdown and disappointment.

People are allowed to have their own opinions. I thought Skyrim was a huge step forward for the Elder Scroll series, and I thought Witcher 2 was rather bad.

People are allowed to have their own opinions. I thought Skyrim was a huge step forward for the Elder Scroll series, and I thought Witcher 2 was rather bad.

That's why I said IMO.

Well we can compare the goods and the bads.

The Good:

- Graphics were better than any TES game by far and probably 3rd best of any RPG released on the PC of all time.
- It was kind of cool being able to see our items in 3D
- The crafting system was a big step up since we've had no crafting before but there were crafting mods made for Oblivion and Morrowind.
- Story was "okay"
- We had cool shouts and a mic mod so we could say "Yol Tol Shul" over and over again.
- Being able to cast with two hands was pretty cool. And the removal of spell effectiveness was cool.
-

The Bad:

- The leveling System was horrible and didn't have the Elder Scrolls feel.
- Perks were bad and uninteresting.
- Limited
- No stat assignments.
- No Custom spells fixed with addons.
- Dual wielding swords were broken.
- Potions were broken.
- Game was to easy and you could literally one shot a Dragon on Master Difficulty at level 30 with abyssal gear.
- Gold was still extremely easy to get and most players had over 100 million gold.

The Horrible:

- The UI was horrible and hard to navigate but got fixed by mods.
- Same limited hotkey System that we've had in every TES game.
- Quests were far to short and simplified you could complete the mages guild quests in literally an hour and a half.
- No gamepad support (not that I use a gamepad but lots of people disliked this).
- The map was horrible but so wasn't Oblivion's map. Morrowind and Daggerfall were the only two games that had decent maps.

I personally only had about a month's worth of fun with Skyrim and played Oblivion from 2006 to this very day right now so Oblivion made my list but there's my goods and bads on the game.

World Of Warcraft (Vanilla and beyond)
Liked many I began in 2004-2005 and have more time invested than in any game ever. I have 6-10 toons between 85-90 where does it end ? LOL

Fallout New Vegas
I also love F3 however New Vegas was a return to the early Fallout style and light hearted humor that Fallout 1 and 2 employed so much of. Im really a fan of every Fallout game.

Borderlands 2
Took the best of the first game and continued on with new content. Also if you want a game that does physx this is the one to get.

Half Life 2 and all it spawned has to be somewhere here. Was I before the cut off ? not sure. oh heck it's ok :D

Mafia 2
Another game where I was a big fan of the first and #2 does it better. Story driven content and another game that just so happens to be heavy pyhsx. thats not why I chose them but they do the feature well.

Honorable mention - A game from year 2000 that I still consider one of if not the best ever. The original Ion Storm developed Deus Ex. I still have yet to find a game with so much freedom of choice done so well. A true classic.

World Of Warcraft (Vanilla and beyond)
Liked many I began in 2004-2005 and have more time invested than in any game ever. I have 6-10 toons between 85-90 where does it end ? LOL

Fallout New Vegas
I also love F3 however New Vegas was a return to the early Fallout style and light hearted humor that Fallout 1 and 2 employed so much of. Im really a fan of every Fallout game.

Borderlands 2
Took the best of the first game and continued on with new content. Also if you want a game that does physx this is the one to get.

Half Life 2 and all it spawned has to be somewhere here. Was I before the cut off ? not sure. oh heck it's ok :D

Mafia 2
Another game where I was a big fan of the first and #2 does it better. Story driven content and another game that just so happens to be heavy pyhsx. thats not why I chose them but they do the feature well.

Honorable mention - A game from year 2000 that I still consider one of if not the best ever. The original Ion Storm developed Deus Ex. I still have yet to find a game with so much freedom of choice done so well. A true classic.

Halflife2 was a fun game in it's time yes. Had good graphics and gameplay and the multiplayer was fun. Never heard of Honorable Mention what's it about?

World Of Warcraft played like this for me:

Vanilla - Best ever
BC- Verry good was disappointed in the removal of 40 man raids but other than that loved it.
Wotlk - Started off horrible but we had some good encounters in the end. Hard mode yogg, Vezax, heroic putricide, lk, 3 drakes up
Cata - Started off excellent ended horrible due to noob QQ. Not a single encounter in dragon soul really got my attention.
Pandaria - Started off okay and seemed to try to bring some of wow's fun elements back and side things to do and TOT was "okay", then SOO came out and it was literally the easiest raid in history and made me quit wow forever after full clearing heroic within a week and a half. We weren't the only guild that was massively disappointed with the hello kitty raid and more guilds have cleared heroic than not. Only had one good encounter and blizzard nerfed it because it was too "hard".

I will be purchasing WoD because it has mythic raiding and "might" bring WoW back to it's former glory (Stat nerfs were the best idea ever) but I might only clear first tier of progression and quit till next xpac. Basically, if it all pans out and blizzard doesn't screw up it has the potential to bring all of their subs back but since when has blizz listened to it's customers and not screwed up? Players have been screaming for the revival of 40 man raids for years now, blizz doesn't respond. Players have been screaming for better encounters and not hello kitty content since the release of dragon soul, blizz releases a hello kitty raid anyway and at the height of the expansion. They don't take into consideration their hardcore players at all or even their average players they just listen to the horribads and keep losing subs every year and then wonder why

Anyway... eager to hear everyone else's top 5 game lists.

Here's my list:

1. Skyrim - Great game. I love open world games that allow the player to discover it on their own terms. The modding community really made the game so much more. Without mods, it would be a ho-hum game.

2. Mass Effect - The original game that started it all. Great story, great atmosphere, and pretty much redefined the FPS/RPG genre. While not a perfect game, it laid the ground work for so much more. It's epic sense of galactic wonder and future technological integration amongst societies embodied a sense of awe that addicted many gamers and left them wanting more.

3. Fallout 3 - Another open world game set amongst the rubble and ruins of a post apocalyptic environment. As with most Bethesda games, I found the primary plot secondary to what you can actually do with the game--scavenge the wastes, level up, discover new creatures, weapons, and armor. While combat is not fast and furious, it's sense of adventure is like no other. Again, the modding community elevates this game to more than it would normally be.

4. Dragon Age I & II - A fantasy game that plunges a gamer into an entirely new universe alive with a plot and setting unlike other games. While there are some issues (as with all games), the key point is that the game allows for the player to submerse him/herself into a new universe with great storytelling and gameplay.

Tough call...but I'm going to go with:

Fallout 3 - One of my favorite universes, enjoyed every bit of it...then the mods started...and it got even better :p
Mass Effect - Owned this for over a year before I played it. Finally installed it one day and lost the next 30 hours of my life. ME2 was arguably better but this started it all, love the series.
Star Craft - Loved the original games and thought the remake was great...if not loooooong overdue
Battlefield 3 - Big BF2 fan, but couldn't get enough of BF3.
Farcry 3 - Really enjoyed the open world and graphics, story better than I expected as well.

I'm sure I'll have another list in a few mins lol, but that's what came to mind first.

Back