• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

evga 850 or seasonic 850?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flitzanu

Hi guys, I've been reading through posts looking for answers, but I can't seem to find a direct answer on this particular one.

I'm down to the last analysis on piecing together a new PC, and I'm stuck again on the PSU.

Granted, I may not need 850w for this system, but the minimal price difference between like, 650w and 850w is why I'm opting for more headroom and upgrades.

I'd landed on the EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply, but seeing reviews on the Seasonic Focus Plus 850W Gold it seems like the Seasonic may be the clear winner? I see that JohnnyGuru highly recommends the Seasonic.

Can anyone offer insight on which one might edge out against the other? Again, minimal price difference between the two, so this isn't about which is cheaper.

current list i'm looking at:

i7 8700k
thermalright Le Grand Macho RT cpu cooler
asus rog maximus x code z370
gskill trident z rgb 2x16gb 3200
soon-to-add gtx 1080ti (or 1180)

Thanks in advance for the input.

They are virtually identical. You can't go wrong with either.
Same warranty. Shop by price.
Me personally, I've always been a Seasonic guy.

They are both top notch psus... there is no "edge" that would be relevant to you. As atm said, you can get away with plenty less... 550w-650w is fine and leaves headroom for overclocking and quiet operation.

thanks for the input, guys. i understand i may not need 850w and could use less, and i could've been clearer, i may move into SLI in the future, so i'd need the headroom. that's why i'd rather not get "enough" and i'd rather opt for more now, than have to swap in 6 months or a year.

If you go EVGA for your GPU, you might want to go with them for your PSU as well. It's a niche scenario, but in the extremely unlikely event something happens with the PSU and it takes your GPU with it, it might be easier to get EVGA to replace their own card. I've only heard good things about Seasonic, but I have heard one or two stories about people having to fight with companies in general to get them to replace components their PSUs take out. Again, it's a niche "what if" that, in retrospect, will most likely never happen through the life of the system. But it's always a nice safety net.

If you go EVGA for your GPU, you might want to go with them for your PSU as well. It's a niche scenario, but in the extremely unlikely event something happens with the PSU and it takes your GPU with it, it might be easier to get EVGA to replace their own card. I've only heard good things about Seasonic, but I have heard one or two stories about people having to fight with companies in general to get them to replace components their PSUs take out. Again, it's a niche "what if" that, in retrospect, will most likely never happen through the life of the system. But it's always a nice safety net.

that's a good point. i haven't fully decided which brand of card to go for, EVGA is usually the goto though, depends on the specs of the new 1180 i guess. thanks homie!

get the evga psu, almost no issue rma, high quality, just good stuff.
just make sure it has all the connectors you need, native to the cables, use no adaptors.
I use all 850 G2 psu's no issues at all.

that's a good point. i haven't fully decided which brand of card to go for, EVGA is usually the goto though, depends on the specs of the new 1180 i guess. thanks homie!

It really isnt. :)

I wouldnt even put that on my list of things to look for, matching brands in case of an rma. Bkth are tier 1 psus and have thorough protection circuitry to prevent such things from happening. Whatever is cheaper and has all the cables you need. Dont get lost in the minutia. :)

Back