• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA Classified 3x SLI E760 and Xeon W3690 on air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thor363

Registered
There's just far too many threads on Xeon's in the X58 boards, looking for someone that has experience with the E760 Rev 1.1 version of the X58 Classified 3x SLI.

I've reset my heatsinks for NB and SB as well a the cooler for the cpu. Adding a Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX 40x10 3 pin fan to the NB later this week in case it's the NB getting too hot. Under stress tests AIDA is seeing up to 74c on the NB so thought that was a good idea to supplement air there. I can get this easily OC'd to 4.1 on air but anything more seems to be an issue. Is there anyone that's done this with the W3690 on the Classified board and got to at least 4.2 or more on decent air cooling? The chip although fully unlocked seems to like a low bclk no matter what and I'm not an OC pro either so I'm sure that doesn't help. Memory is 12gb in 6 sticks of Kingston (came in 2 kits with a fan set) as 2 of part number KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GB. I'm not running into memory issues from what I see and it's running at 1.65v at 9/10/9/27 without issue. I'm not sure where to go from here whether a larger OC is worth it. It's my daily rig sitting in an older Coolermaster HAF full size case and lots of airflow.

Anyone with relevant experience I welcome your comments (as long as it's not: 'Hey OC nOOb, buy a clue'!)

The chip although fully unlocked seems to like a low bclk no matter what
If you have an unlocked chip, why are you messing with the BCLK? Use the multiplier. BCLK is limited by the board/CPU regardless if the CPU is unlocked.

Please post screenshots of CPUz. The first page, Mainboard, SPD and Memory tabs, please.

This pic is under stress testing load.

Added the little Noctua 40mm NF-A4x10 FLX fan to the NB and the temps dropped 10*c under stress testing. Seems like it was worth it and simple to do. Please ignore the fan speeds, they're not reflective of the fan controller that's driving all the cooling fans.
CPUID-HW-MON-TEMPS.JPG

This pic is idle temps a few minutes after stress testing.
CPUID-HW-MON-TEMPS-IDLE.JPG

Think I'll take another run at 4.2 tonight, maybe the NB was the limiting factor...we'll see.

Over 40c idle and 80c load @ 1.3v is hot bro. Got to get those at least 10c lower. You need more vcore but your cooling solution is maxxed out.

Just bumped it to 4.2 without issue (no increased voltage either) with a stress test. I guess the prior roadblock was the NB heat. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is all that's on the Xeon currently with some Artic MX4.

The cooler is push/pull two fan, but looking for a replacement now. Seems also that the fan controller for the CPU is worth testing on the MB connection because I seem to recall hearing that fan a bit louder with connected directly to MB.

CPUZ-CPU-4.2.JPG CPUID-HW-MON-TEMPS-IDLE-4.2.JPG CPUID-HW-MON-TEMPS-LOAD-4.2.JPG

Last edited:
Ran watercooled once, and don't want to go there again. Any suggestions for the top air based cooler?

Ah yes... the old EVGA X58 Classified.

Takes me back ~9/10(+) years. I still have an E760 motherboard... I just recently tried to boot a W3690 and it would power on but the board wouldn't post. I also updated the BIOS to the final release #83 but it is a Rev. 1.0 sample and I think it needs some kind of mod to run the Xeon 6-core(s) but my 980X runs/posts just fine. :thup: Not much difference between the 980X/990X and the XEON W3680/W3690.

I agree with Mr Scott this platform can run pretty hot and can be hard to cool on air. :(

The platform is also getting a little "long in the tooth" compared to something current like a Ryzen R5 3600/3600X but it is still kind of interesting for a re-visit.

Did a little tinkering with some the old parts today. Open bench style on air:

EVGA E760/980X with a stock Intel 980X cooler ( https://www.anandtech.com/show/2960/4 ):

980X EVGA 760E.PNG

Gigabyte X58A-OC/W3690 with a Phanteks PH-TC12DX cooler (single fan):

W3690 Gigabyte X58A-OC.PNG

Those were a recommendation because the OP wanted Red LED fans. They would not be my first performance fan choice.
I prefer the 130 CFM Sythe fans, but those might be loud to you.
Noctua makes some decent fans. Ugly, but decent.

Last edited:
As long as they will clip in to the cooler at 120mm holes I'll enjoy them, I don't care how loud they are (really). Got a link sir?

Oh yeah, and how is their static air for use on the cooler? (rather than the case).

Last edited:
Holy crap Batman! 3000 rpm and 133cfm! Unreal! Is this some kind of Romulan engineering?

Buying two to swap those original fans out right now. Thank you Mr. Scott! edit: measuring originals and may have to do some McGyvering due to increased depth of fans.

I did some additional tinkering with this X58 setup...

I think if you are running normal daily type stuff then then a 4.0 to 4.1 overclock seems easy enough and manageable while using a lower end air cooler (stock/980X type). With higher end air?... Maybe up to 4.2 to 4.3? However when trying for 4.4 to 4.5? I think it is a better option to go with water cooling. These X58 combos have quite high heat output especially with the higher voltages that are needed to stabilize them as the clocks get higher. You can bench at higher speeds with colder ambient temps, a high rpm/cfm fan(s) and a good air cooler but I think custom water is both an easier and quieter way to run bigger overclocks for daily use.

4.1GHz EVGA E760/980X with a stock 980X cooler:

980X EVGA 760E 4.1GHz.PNG

2v2HEPtkMxAhvqS.jpg

4.5GHz EVGA E760/980X with custom water:

980X EVGA 760E 4.5GHz.PNG

2v2HEPtSrxAhvqS.jpg

Maybe tomorrow I'll try this TRUE Copper with high RPM/CFM fan on my W3690? ;)

2v2HEPtryxAhvqS.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder if that 3000rpm Scythe with that cooler will work a bit better for air? That's essentially what I'd have on mine shortly. Water cooling is possible for me with this case as I've used it before but if I recall it was a corsair solution that I got rid of and was the only water based that I'd ever had.

So here we go down that bad path...looking at closed loop coolers but would like to use the HAF 932 case I currently have. Seems I'd have to mount the cooler either in the top of the case and lose a drive bay or two up top (no bid deal), or to top mount it to the case would have to open the closed loop (not recommended) and plumb through the two coolant line holes at the back of the case. Seems inside the case and not breaching the loop would be the best option. Anyone have experience with any of the newer closed loop systems out there? Was looking at Corsair (again...maybe they're better...seems reviewers think so) and also at the EVGA ones, bot with 3x120's.

@ PolRog - I have a True and Scythe set up on my 980 right now. I get a screenshot up shortly.

Back