• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked AC2+ - Water Block Or Fans ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gusset Wrench

Hi,

I plan to use an EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked AC2+ model under 24/7 intensive load for weeks on end without a break. Will the stock pair of fans be OK or should I replace them with a full cover water block? In the past when running the setup with aother card fitted with stock fan (MSI GTX 580) the card blew up after a few weeks. I think the fan might have packed up first then the card overheated and that was the end of it.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thx
Gus

Fans should last longer than that...

... so honestly, its your choice. Water is probably better, but id hate to invest in water for last gen tech. But if yoy are keeping the gpu for a while, why not? It will add another 150+ to the build for the block and additional radiator area...

Fans should last longer than that...

... so honestly, its your choice. Water is probably better, but id hate to invest in water for last gen tech. But if yoy are keeping the gpu for a while, why not? It will add another 150+ to the build for the block and additional radiator area...

Apologies, I should have said that it was a second user GTX 580 that I was using when the fan stopped working so it might have had a hard life before I got the card. It was running at maximum speed 24/7 for a few weeks then zonked out on me.

The reason I am going for last gen cards is that the GTX 980 Ti with 2816 cuda cores is a more cost effective option than a GTX 1080 Ti with 3584 cuda cores. It is the cuda capability that I will be using the cards for and I can buy 3 second user GTX 980 Ti for the cost of 1 GTX 1080 Ti. Three rigs running one GTX 980 Ti per rig gives me a lot more cuda output than one rig with a GTX 1080 Ti.

Once the project is finished I plan to sell off all the kit to recoup some of the outlay.

Thx
Gus

Back