• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA just slipped a few notches in my book..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know a lot of people like EVGA and their step up program (it's pretty nice in theory), but I have yet to get a card made by them that didn't have faulty memory. I have had a 6600GT, a 6800GT, and a 7900GT and all three had bad memory chips. After going through that I decided to look at other manufacturers - even if the chances of getting 3 bad cards in a "row" is incredibly small, it was enough to turn me off of their products.
Just so you know, eVGA (and all other companies) actually don't make the products. They buy the boards in bulk and put on their own coolers/stickers/boxes.

The only difference is looks and customer support.

BTW, :welcome: to the forums!! :D

I probably should have known that - still getting 3 bad cards from the same company, which weren't even the same model, is like lightning striking thrice. I just wanted to put my experience out there.

/derail off.

do yourselves a favor
post your used cards for sale and give someone a deal, then just buy the new card outright, do the math your wallet will actually end up better off most times and you helped a OCF'er out to boot.

I like this mentality :)

I'm having issues with EVGA as well right now. They are trying to refuse to RMA a card that was sent to me through RMA, but has not worked from day one.

I'm having issues with EVGA as well right now. They are trying to refuse to RMA a card that was sent to me through RMA, but has not worked from day one.
Serious? There is nothing else factored in?

I had a card do that, basically an RMA of an RMA and they had no issue with it at all. In fact, they sent the card out before they even received mine doing a normal RMA.

Well, they came through for us. There a 120 day step up window if you are getting the GX2. Must have been enough people in my position bugging them to extend step up that they decided to make us happy campers. Great move, EVGA.. You can have your few notches back. :beer:

edit: Man, their website is so friggin slow today I can't even get through the step up process. They must be getting slammed... I'll prolly be like 100000 in queue..

Last edited:
Serious? There is nothing else factored in?

Yep serious. At first they refused the RMA b/c I did not have a receipt/invoice to show them. So I wrote them a polite yet stern email explaining the situation to them. They came through for me right away after that one.

Note that it says cards released (not purchased) after Feb 21, 2008, and all 9 series so 9600GT is included but likely all 8-series and lower are excluded.

I know why this is good for the companies: they can use step-up cards as RMA replacements and it means they don't have to keep as much inventory on their books. Plus when they do sell a new card in step-up they get the profit directly.

100 > 90

BFG has good support if I am not mistaken, but the double lifetime warranty goes to XFX?

Yea I'd have to rate XFX's warranty bet overall given that step-up programs are usually a wash money-wise. XFX cards tend to be the most expensive though :-/ and not by a small amount.

EVGA's #1 in my book. I had a 7900gt with scrambled screen problems, so I sent it in. They replaced it with an 8800gts 320mb. Not bad, not bad at all. :)

EVGA's #1 in my book. I had a 7900gt with scrambled screen problems, so I sent it in. They replaced it with an 8800gts 320mb. Not bad, not bad at all. :)

Same here with my kids PC, the 7900 was a step up from a 7800gt.
And all it cost me was shipping for the step-up, and shipping for the RMA to an 8800GTS 320mb.

I can say I wont be buying another brand of video card, unless eVGA really, and I mean REALLY drops the ball..... :D

I bought 2 BFG 8800GTSs, and they are mad sketchy. They look like RMAed cards, the sticker was falling of, different packing with each card, the ESD stick was ripped on one. IMO, this is my first and last purchase from BFG.

Back