• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA Nvidia GTX 680 FTW w/ Backplate 4GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarrenP

So i've decided on the GPU's i'm going to be going with. I've decided to go with two Nvidia Based Geforce GTX 680 w/ Backplate, The 4GB model to be exact. I plan to SLI two of them. Now what i'd like to do, is put custom air coolers on them if that would make any benefit whatsoever when overclocking. What I'd like to know is would this fit onto this GPU? how many slots would this cooler take up, when on one of these 680's? This is the cooler i'm thinking of using: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186068

Thanks in advance for any help.

I would imagine not as the link you provided don't say for 680 but the twinturbo 11 does but has one for stacked socket or no stacked power socket not sure what that is.

also if you doing this in sli i doubt would fit unless you got 4 sli slots and then you would have enough space.

Those are hugely thick. Unless your going to use the third PCI slot the top GPU with that cooler won't fit. And the 3rd PCI slot might be pretty slow on your mobo.

Even with the stock coolers the top card is gonna be 20C hotter under load than the bottom card due to no room for airflow. Why many of us with SLI/Xfire go watercooling.

They do make mobos with a fast 3rd PCI slot. Just gonna have to think it through.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooling/34809-arctic-accelero-xtreme-7970-vga-cooler/

"Overhanging the PCB by some distance and making the HD 7970 a considerable 305mm (12in) in length, be sure that the chosen chassis can accommodate such a gargantuan card. The CrossFireX fingers remain free of impediment, which is good thinking, but an extra-long CrossFire bridge (and gap between PCIe x16 slots) will be required to attach a second Accelero Xtreme-cooled 7970 into the system."

They are doing a 7970, but it would be the same on a 680.

So i've decided on the GPU's i'm going to be going with. I've decided to go with two Nvidia Based Geforce GTX 680 w/ Backplate, The 4GB model to be exact. I plan to SLI two of them. Now what i'd like to do, is put custom air coolers on them if that would make any benefit whatsoever when overclocking. What I'd like to know is would this fit onto this GPU? how many slots would this cooler take up, when on one of these 680's? This is the cooler i'm thinking of using: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186068

Thanks in advance for any help.

That cooler is for a reference PCB. There's some 680 FTWs that are compatibile with it, though I'm not absolutely sure. I'm fairly sure that cooler is fairly more large than reference. I do want to tell you this, though:

My SLI 680s hit their OC limit before their thermal throttle limit, even being cramped and using reference coolers. The only way to really get anything else out of a 680 is to go water blocks, BIOS mods, and perhaps even some hard modding. I doubt this cooler would do anything for you, aside from look cool and lower your temps from a balmy 55*c average to a bone-chillingly cool 53*c average. :shrug:

Well i have two slots between my first and second PCI-E slots, so i could fit up to a 3 slot card. I do have all the room in the world it's just a matter of wether or not it'll fit on the 680 and wether or not it's worth the money.

Well i have two slots between my first and second PCI-E slots, so i could fit up to a 3 slot card. I do have all the room in the world it's just a matter of wether or not it'll fit on the 680 and wether or not it's worth the money.

Like I said, quite possible it will fit.

No, it isn't worth your money. It isn't going to net you ANYTHING without some heavy-duty mod work, since you'll hit clock ceilings before thermal ceilings on the standard cooler.

If you have a slot in between i wouldn't even mess with it. My 680s do the same as Anonaru's, hit max clocks before temps limit anything.

If you are using the monitor you currently have in your sig, I pose 2 questions,

1) Why SLI 680's if you are only at 1920 x 1080 resses (would be more viable if you had a Yamakasi Catleap 27" 2560 x 1440 panel)

2) With the 780's coming out this month, if you are really going for a 680 and using 1920 x 1080, just go with the 2GB to save some coin. Unless you KNOW, and I mean absolutely KNOW, that you will be going multi screen setup, I wouldn't bother on either SLi or 4GB

That's my opinion at least, especially since your monitor will limit you to 60hz anyway

Like I said, quite possible it will fit.

No, it isn't worth your money. It isn't going to net you ANYTHING without some heavy-duty mod work, since you'll hit clock ceilings before thermal ceilings on the standard cooler.

This...

@sobe: SLI 680's because I plan to buy three more monitors, and do a 3 monitors in surround, and in turn have them all do 3D if i want it. So we're talking really high class 1080P monitors. Or the second option is to just go with 3x2560x1600 monitors for gaming and such. So i'll need the GPU horsepower. The only think i'm still deciding on is wether or not i'm going 1080P or 1600P.

@The general public: I've decided to step down from Titans, as i've thought i really don't need them with other builds coming up, i decided to put the money i'd save from titans into a new Bicycle as it's my biggest hobby. Thanks for all the help before in deciding that, but i've found computers to be a lesser outlet of stress then biking.

Alright, i was wondering about monitors, thanks for the help man! :) Will those 2 680's run 3x1920x1080 @ 144Hz? in 3D?

My opinion would be for the BenQ XL2411T 144hz monitor you can import from Overclockers.co.uk.

With that said, just forget the whole 144hz number, I know I know, it's more than 120, but you will be using 120 for 3D anyway, and what's special about the monitor, is it has Lightboost technology :D Of which by using the blurbuster blog you can enable NOT just for 3D, but you can have it always enabled for 2D, meaning you don't have to wear 3d glasses just to use the awesome feature.

Btw, 120hz + Lightboost = smoother experience than 144hz. There's an example video on the link I posted to show you what Lightboost can do as far as a time demo

Now as far as running them, yes you can... But I don't think you will be maxing all the settings. You may have to tinker to disable AA, etc. etc.

120fps on surround takes some serious power. you will be turning settings down a good bit on most games and there will be some that you won't.

Back