• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA X79 Dark official release

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks nice but Ive lost some confidence in eVGA for mbs in the past few years. All about BIOS development and refinement.

Looks nice but Ive lost some confidence in eVGA for mbs in the past few years. All about BIOS development and refinement.

Sometimes at launch (ok, a lot of the time, especially with regard to RAM), yes; but they usually iron out any issues in subsequent releases don't they?

Plus, as much as Vince has been pimping results from this thing around, my guess is he has put in a lot of work getting this one right; at least for the extreme crowd.

It definitely looks pretty though.

Vince pimped the Z77-FTW too, and as far as I know it still has significant BIOS issues. It certainly did when he was pimping it.

I just hope they resolved all the issue they had with the X79 series ...

But i'm sure they had, the EVGA forum is FULL of problem thread about their X79 series and if they didnt resolved all these issue on this new X79 dark, i dont think anyone will buy an EVGA board again ! :(

Edit : Ho, i had read some post from EVGA in the past telling they could come up with an upgrade plan for those who have issue with the X79 current line-up.
They did it :)
http://www.evga.com/articles/00760/

Last edited:
If you ask me the last awesome board eVGA made was the P55 FTW. Then they lost their key engineers. Ive tested a few since and they all had BIOS issues. Not saying this board wont be good because we dont know yet but mobo competition is tough and people buy the best board for the $.

It does look like they've put a lot of effort in the small details for this board. Time will tell I suppose.

Loved my P55 FTW back in the day. Great board. :thup:

That was the Z77-Mpower of the P55 series, it killed more chips for no good reason (benching) than all other boards combined :D
(The z77-mpower likes to set >2v when you tell it to set >1.65v in BIOS)

curious what you see...

Rotated power adapters was what made me smile. Don't see that very often. Some of the other details just sounds neat though it's probably all marketing crap. A quick google reported that RIVE uses 4 layer PCB. 12 layer SOUNDS like quite a jump if that does anything. Talking about optimizing traces SOUNDS nice. From what I've seen doesn't offer performance boost but can help with stability. BIOS looks neat... if it works. That's why I said time will tell. A lot of the changes sound good on paper but may do nothing.

MSI uses 8 layer PCB on the MPower Max, and I think Asrock or someone else does as well on their high end board.

Yeah those 24 pins have been like that since P67/Z68 IIRC... I like that too.

All motherboards have optimized traces, listing that as a marketing point is hilarious.
If they didn't, RAM and PCI slots would not function. At all.
More layers gives you more room to run traces, but doesn't help anything directly.

So to put it another way... release may be 90% marketing crap and 10% new bios/colour. ;)

Also on an entirely unrelated note: Just noticed you live an hour away from me Bobnova assuming that's Humboldt, SK.

It isn't, Whatshisname Von Humboldt went many places :D

It may well be an awesome board, but those marketing points are sort of... used, by this point :D

<3 EVGA motherboards, good to see them keeping it up with the storm of ASUS and ASrock mobos around.

Hopefully the SR-4 won't be out soon, don't have a lot of money for dual Haswell Xeons =P

Last edited:
Back