• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Excellent Signal, Trash Internetq

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zephos

Hey guys,

I've tried everything I can think of, so I'm turning to you guys.

Hardware:
Comcast modem w/ 75Mbps subscription
Netgear R6250 802.11ac dual-band router
Rig in sig w/ cheapo USB n adapter
LG G4

Speedtest.net used for everything, I'll put DL/UL in Mbps

Tested with laptop off the wire, got 96/35, so pretty great for the plan. Pull the wire, get a 2/4 Wi-Fi speed from right next to router. Walk down the hall to my room, my phone get's about 5/9 and PC gets...well I didn't let it finish, I gave it about three minutes and it hadn't finished the test.

Task manager tells me I have a 58Mbps connection to the router, which isn't great but I'll take that over this.

I really don't know what I can do, hope you guys have some insight. Thanks

Only on my phone, this adapter doesn't pick it up. The phone speed was actually on that band, just tried 2.4GHz on my phone and it disconnected, couldn't finish.

Have you tried restarting your equipment?

This is an ongoing problem at multiple locations

Problem is right here.

Same happened with a nicer adapter, that one actually performs worse. I have a nice PCI-e AC adapter, but when I went to put that in I learned that all of the PCI-e slots I have left are broken. I'm going to try an RMA on that, but I've already done that once so I don't know if it'll go through.

Missed the point. USB adapters are slower and more prone to interference. Obstacles, direction, and distance are all factors too.

EDIT- right on Bob. :thup:

Cheapo adapter isn't the only issue, since his phone gets garbage connection as well. Are you positive you're broadcasting on N (or AC), and are all of your devices N (or at least G) capable? If you have legacy devices that don't support N on your network, they could very well be slowing all devices on your network to essentially G speeds. Download a wifi analyzer app (if your router doesn't have functionality built in) to find the least congested channel. Also, disconnect all clients except one (your phone, for example) and re-run your tests.

Missed the point. USB adapters are slower and more prone to interference. Obstacles, direction, and distance are all factors too.

EDIT- right on Bob. :thup:

But why then do I have an excellent connection according to Windows and 58Mbps connection to WLAN

Edit: Roommates also just mentioned horrible connection, so it's not just this adapter. Two roommates who don't do much other than browse facebook, so their usage shouldn't be hindering me this much

Only the PC is connected, using InSSIDer Home as utility and definitely on n.

Here's the Auto channel setting, 11:
sRZ0geA.jpg
The speedtest couldn't finish, 22ms ping but dl took way too long.

And now channel 4, which utility said was free:
TKt2aFz.jpg
oVahYbw.jpg

So channel 4 helped but...barely. Sorry for huge pics, takes me a long time to download resized jpg...

Edit: Android utility actually is easier to read. LOTS of overlapping on 2.4GHz but completely alone on 5GHz so there should be no interference, yet the speed is still incredibly low.

Last edited:
Have you tried disconnecting all other clients and running tests on your phone, or laptop, etc, one at a time like you did with your desktop above?

I've done it when my phone was the only device on 5GHz, timed out

This is my phone about 15ft from router. On 5GHz and it's the only device on either band. Server is <1 mile from me.

kl5sg33

Edit: apparently I cant post images with my phone. Either way, 22ms/12.7Mbps/1.24Mbps

If the issue exists on multiple devices, on multiple channels, on both frequencies, in all situations (ie with no other devices on the network, etc), then the problem seems like it's either with your environment (interference), or a problem with your router.

Do you have a spare router you can try (even if it's not AC, or even N), to eliminate an environmental issue? Or borrow one from a friend? If not, might be time to return/RMA your router (assuming, of course, that you've rebooted it and reset to defaults and tried again).

The modem I have is also a router, it performs even worse. That makes me think it's an interference issue, but this router is the only on on its channel.

I would still say to pick a different server and see if you get any different results. You may not get super high peak speeds but it may be higher (that server may just be slow/etc).

Back