• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Experimenting w/ Wireless HDMI - Having sound problems w/ S/PDIF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wawa

Registered
Okay, so I just got a new TV and a Samsung 5.1 Surround sound system last week and thought: "Why not get my rig connected to the big screen so I can watch live streams/tournaments while slacking on the couch!".

So I went and got myself a wireless HDMI solution, I have enough cables to fight with as is, so why not try something new?

Now to the hardware part.

Motherboard: Asus M4A78LT-M LE (Yeah, it's a crappy micro-ATX but long story short - it works, for now)
GPU: Gainward Nvidia GTX 275
Surround sound: SAMSUNG HTE5530 (Link: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/...blu-ray-home-entertainment-system/HT-E5530/XU)
TV: Sharp Aquos 60"
Wireless HDMI: Maximum HDMI Link 581 (Link: http://www.kjaerulff1.com/en-gb/p/9467_maximum-hdmi-link-581)

So this is the current setup:
2csib1w.gif.jpg

The mobo have a SPDIF_OUT / SPDIF_O 4-1-pin connection, so as follows:

GND - SPDIFOUT - no pin - +5V

The S/PDIF cable that I got have a black and a white wire, right now the black is on the Ground-pin and the white is on the SPDIF_OUT-pin, and that leaves an exposed +5V-pin, I don't know if this matters or not so if it does please do tell.

So here's the problem, no sound. I get video on the screen but I dont get any sound. Have tried without the Surround receiver too so it goes from HDMI Receiver -> TV, still no sound.

The sound driver is VIA HD Audio and as far as I can see I've got all the settings right.

Windows Sound settings:
2qcdv7r.gif.jpg
HDMI out set as default, should be right.

VIA HD Audio Deck settings:
nqtla9.gif.jpg
Digital Out as default, should be right.
(The SPDIFmode is for optical S/PDIF cables)

Nvidia Control Panel audio settings:
2lucqyq.gif.jpg
Shows HDMI: ZWD (the screen name shown in Windows Screen resolution) should be right too.

So I really don't have a clue 'bout what's gone wrong, it should be able to work, in theory at least, since all the settings are supposedly correct and I have the right cable setup.

If anyone can point me towards a solution it would be appreciated :thup:

I don't remember the 200 series too much (I sold mine a while ago). But with the 500 and 600 series, you don't actually to do much to get sound via hdmi, the driver adds a playback device called "NVIDIA HDMI Output (Port X)" just set that up as default and you get audio. Now it's stereo most of time unless the source is preencoded (ie. like blu-ray movies not games) but you get sound. No extra cable, nothing. It might have been different with the 200 series though.

Be sure to enable "Show disabled device" and "Show disconnected device" in the playback device window, just in case it's there but disabled.

Hope that helps. Really wish I still had my 280's to check it out myself though.

Just checked for disconnected devices, sadly nothing showed up.

One of my friends have a laptop with a Nvidia 400 series card, so next time he comes around I'll hijack it and test if I can send sound from that both wired and wireless.

If that still doesn't work, and no one here have come up with a solution in the meantime, I'll have to unplug my own PC and move it to the TV and test it on a wired connection and see what happens, although I'd like to avoid running around too much with it, lazy me.

Bump.

Okay, so I just tested the wireless HDMI on both my PS3 and my friends laptop and I get sound from both through my surround sound receiver, so I'm thinking that the problem is my PC.

So either it's the mobo, the GPU or the S/PDIF cable that I bought, but I haven't got no idea since all the driver settings and whatever should be right.

And just to refresh my mobo have: GND(ground) - SPDIF_OUT - no pin - +5V ; and the cable have a black wire and a white wire, black is connected to GND and white to SPDIF_OUT leaving the +5V exposed (if this affects anything ?).

If anyone have experience with this I would appreciate it as I have absolutely no idea what is wrong :bang head

The only thing left I can do is to unplug my PC, move it to my TV and set it up with a a HDMI cable, although I'm almost sure it won't change anything.

Back