• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

explorer is totally screwed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shrinkydinx

explorer is totally screwed - PLEASE HELP

after i launch windows explorer, if i try to open a folder or change directories, it crashes and cant be terminated

(HELP!)

Last edited:
Could you note down the exact error message and post it?

Its easier to troubleshoot your problem with the error message in hand.

This should be easy to fix. Two steps: We need to remove any infection which is currently active. We need to repair the damage to windows.

First, install and update virus protection if it isn't already installed and actively running. If it is broke, uninstall and reinstall. If that is not an option for whatever reason, run an online scan from trend micro or symantec. Ensure no infections are found, and if they are, write their names down before repairing them. Let us know.

Remove any junk programs from add/remove programs - toolbars, search assistants, if you aren't sure if you need it google it and you probably don't. Run spybot, adaware, and post a HJT log here for us so we can see what your problem is.

Then, press windows+r and type sfc /scannow and the system file checker will confirm all system files are in their appropriate versions. It may prompt you for the windows CD and it may take some time to complete the scan.

theres no message, it just freezes and cant be terminated forcefully.

i ran avg, and it found nothing on c:

adaware freezes (and freezes windows, but firefox still works) when the scan is completed or cancelled.

doing the sfc /scannow thing now...

it is supposed to just go away when it finishes?

restarting and hoping everything is magically fixed...

Last edited:
hijackthis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 6:51:05 PM, on 1/27/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Stardock\SDMCP.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\stardock\TrayServer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\IC\Card Reader Driver v1.9e\Disk_Monitor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
C:\Program Files\Object Desktop\ObjectBar\ObjectBar.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\Ad-Aware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\brad\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.047\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/d/5/8d5f3570-e0aa-4ac4-8448-579870373a0f/MSBNDownload.exe
O2 - BHO: TGTSoft Explorer Toolbar Changer - {C333CF63-767F-4831-94AC-E683D962C63C} - C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\TGT_BHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [1A:Stardock TrayMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\stardock\TrayServer.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudCtrl] RunDll32 AudCtrl.dll,RCMonitor
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBExtigy\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Disk Monitor] C:\Program Files\IC\Card Reader Driver v1.9e\Disk_Monitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [STYLEXP] C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXP.exe -Hide
O4 - Startup: ObjectDock Plus.lnk = C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
O4 - Startup: Stardock ObjectBar.lnk = C:\Program Files\Object Desktop\ObjectBar\ObjectBar.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ObjectDock Plus.lnk = C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Stardock ObjectBar.lnk = C:\Program Files\Object Desktop\ObjectBar\ObjectBar.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: StyleXPService - Unknown - C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe

veything was fine as fine until i installed this (full):

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ACE_Mega_CoDecS_Pack.htm

and then wmv files wouldnt play, but explorer was fine, i was navigating through folders and drives trying to play various videos. so i uninstalled it through its uninstaller. then i was going to install the gordianknot codecpack to make sure i still had all the codecs i had had before, and when i opened up explorer and clicked e: (hdd with codecpack) it froze.

maybe this will somehow help? im dyin here. im gonna reinstall everything in about an hour.

additional notes:

thunderbird crashes when i move mail to a local folder,

firefox crashes click a link that opens a new window.

Last edited:
Back