• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Case Recc'n For 3.5" 500GB SATAII internal HDD> USB2/eSATA MP/PC/PVR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

External Case Recc'n For 3.5" 500GB SATAII internal HDD> USB2/eSATA MP/PC/PVR

I need a recommendation for a quiet external HDD case with both a USB2.0 and eSATA (Firewire only an extra bonus) interface to view video files on a 3.5” Seagate 7200.12 500GB 16MB cache SATAII OEM internal HDD to supply a Media Player (e.g. WD TV HD). eSATA is for possible PVR use. I have tried a Mediasource HM3-SU2TV Media Storage Player with its little 1+” fan but it’s noisy (no point in having a quiet pc at all when it’s on), These cases can be had for $20 or less and money is definitely important. I don’t even want to know how hot it is, as long as it lasts like it should normally. Quiet is what I want. I am unsure about a power switch. If it is possible to combine the convenience of an on/off button and green spin down etc. for both pc and PVR use in the future please explain.

Wanted: recommendations (of Cheapest) please.

If possible it would be nice if it came from this store’s stock (+good value too):

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=516
to get a WD HD TV

Tt BlackX - http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=018514&cid=516

"....Plus they are dead quiet, have an external power switch ....

Is there any fan at all anywhere on it? I am usure if a HDD just in the open air is cooling enough, and how much noise is in trade-off. One good thing about HDD cases is that internal HDDs are cheap (one HDD purchase usually covers the difference in price b/t int & ext and buys a case). And at any time you can use these HDD for insisde a pc Thermaltake's website says it can handle up to 2TB.

But its all about the money (lack of it). ideally I would just fix (/exchange for another) or try new firmware for the Ms MP I just got. I'd have a HDD and MP w/ interface paid for already. If I paid for (some waiting) the WD TV HD MP upgrade exchange the price difference will be $50. Then a case ($50), then the optional HDD upgrade (better/larger) about $50. With tax, $200. All that, just because of a potential quirk in an otherwise good product?

So far that TT case price makes it unlikely. So I'll probably end up with the HDD I have already just got for $58.99cdn (SG500). But I do like the idea of getting the WD anyhow. So, to do that can anybody reccomend a case thats half the TT price (ideally $15, $20, $25). The only particular requirement is that its really quite quiet. I'd love links to any case reviews for baseline(s) too. Actually, part of this suggest/review is just to make sure a $$21 product isn't made from bubblegum in the first place (I'd loosen the noise requirment a tad for the piece of mind).

Last edited:
Back