• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Fan controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myndlessdayz

I'm looking for an external fan controller. My thermaltake P5 Tempered glass doesn't have a spot for drive bay controllers and so have been having trouble with the popular software based fan controllers (Speedfan oddly doesn't detect my fans for some reason and Gigabyte's software is, well, garbage.) I can control them via Bios but having to constantly restart my system to get to Bios is obviously a large inconvenience. Or if a decent PCI-slot controller can be used, again having to reach behind my case constantly to change fans is another inconvenience but not as bad as having to go via Bios.

Or if anyone has any recommendations on another fan controller software are also welcome!

Doesnt your mobo have windows based software that can control fans?

Yah but Gigabyte's AppCenter since the last update just hangs on "restarting EasyTune" something or other and just never starts up. I've emailed Gigabyte about it and have yet to hear from them (been going on 4 days not including the 3 day weekend. So 7 days). But, in case I don't hear from Gigabyte or can't find another software solution I'd like to know if there's at least the external controller option.

One question you need to ask in all this is how much load the fans will place on the speed controller. The controllers are rated by watts per channel they can handle. So you need to figure out how many total watts the fans will be drawing per channel, either individually or collectively if you are controlling more than one fan per channel. The controllers generally range from a rating of 10W per channel to 30W per channel. Watts = volts x amps. There was someone in the forum classies that was building selling custom fan speed controllers that were not drive bay mounted. There are also tutorials online for building your own.

One question you need to ask in all this is how much load the fans will place on the speed controller. The controllers are rated by watts per channel they can handle. So you need to figure out how many total watts the fans will be drawing per channel, either individually or collectively if you are controlling more than one fan per channel. The controllers generally range from a rating of 10W per channel to 30W per channel. Watts = volts x amps. There was someone in the forum classies that was building selling custom fan speed controllers that were not drive bay mounted. There are also tutorials online for building your own.

Thanks for the info!

Back