• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EXTRA! Noob needs critique of first system!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iseethemtoo

Registered
Hi guys...sorry for the large amount of techy text, but I thought having the specs right in front might be good....just lemme know if I should trim down the amount of specs I dispay for each component for next time.

If y'all could take a boo at this and offer opinions...point out glaring roblems and such, I would greatly appreciate it.

This will be my first build, and in fact I only very recently started boning up on this stuff so Im sure I will make mistakes. Its kind of a first draft, but at this point I think that getting input on what I hve come up with will serve to teach me alot more.

Anyways, here are the peices and specs:

Motherboard
ABIT "AV8" K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: AMD Athlon64/Athlon64 FX Processors
Chipset: VIA K8T800 Pro + VT8237
RAM: 4x DIMM for DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
IDE: 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X , 5x PCI
Ports: 2xPS/2,1xCOM,1xLPT,SPDIF In/Out,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),3xIEEE1394(Rear 1),1xLAN,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: 6-Channel AC97 Codec
Onboard LAN: VIA VT6122 Gigabit Ethernet
Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x Serial ATA, RAID 0/1
Onboard 1394: 3 Ports
Form Factor: ATX more info-> N82E16813127181 $119.85 $119.85

Video Card
POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9800XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "XR98T-D3" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800XT/412MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/730MHz
BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out)+DVI connector
Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
Cable/Accessories: 3 Cables, VGA via DVI Adapter, Composite via S-Video Adapter, 5 CD, Manual
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814131231 $359.00 $359.00

PSU
Fortron 530W Power Supply, Model "FSP530-60GNA" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Type: ATX
Maximum Power: 530W
PFC: No
Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
Hold-up Time: 16.6ms min.@115V/60Hz;20ms min.@230V/50Hz
Efficiency: Min 65%,Typical 70% (at full load)
Over Voltage Protection: +5V trip point<+6.5V;+3.3V trip point<+4.6V;+12V trip point<+15.5V
Overload Protection: 150% Max
Input Voltage: 115/230VAC
Input Frequency Range: 47Hz-63Hz
Input Current: 12A/7A
Output: +3.3V@30/17A,+5V@44/24A,[email protected],+12V@16/28A,[email protected],+5VSB@2A
MTBF: 100K hours at 25ºC
Approvals: UL, CSA level 6, TUV, NEMKO, FCC, C-TICK, CB, CE more info-> N82E16817104968 $75.00 $75.00

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 1MB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor - Retail
Specifications:
Model: AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Core: ClawHammer
Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz
FSB: Integrated into chip
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.5V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 754
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: Retail Box (Heatsink and Fan included) more info-> N82E16819103426 $305.00 $305.00

RAM -- This one im really not sure of -- dont know if 2x512 is the best choice to go with themotherboard I have selected..could use some help here.

Geil Ultra Series Value Dual Channel 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 w/ Blue Heatspreader - Retail
Specifications:
Manufacturer: Geil
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5 7-4-4
Support Voltage: 2.55V-2.95V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit
Special Features: Optimized SPD for Dual Channel DDR motherboards
Warranty: Lifetime more info-> N82E16820144310 $191.00 $191.00

HDD -- Trying to decide between this HDD and the one below it. This one is labeled Speceial Edition and is 30 bucks cheaper than the other one, but it is OEM, and im not sure if thats a good thing for a total noob builder...

Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB, OEM Drive Only
Specifications:
Capacity: 80GB
Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Features: High-performance with 8MB Buffer
Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years
Packaging: OEM Drive Only more info-> N82E16822144122 $63.00 $63.00

HDD -- No Special Edition Here? What are the major differences between this one and the one above? It is retail so that is good ( it means it comes with a manual right?)

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JBRTL, Retail
Specifications:
Capacity: 80 GB
Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
Buffer: 8 MB
Rotational Speed: 7,200 RPM
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Features: High-performance with 8MB Buffer
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
Packaging: Retail more info-> N82E16822144164 $99.99 $99.99

Sound Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0350" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Channels: 7.1
Max Sampling Rate: 192kHz
Signal-Noise Ratio: 108dB
Hardware Decode: Dolby Digital EX
Digital Audio: 24-bit
Hardware Polyphony: 64 Voices
PC Interface: PCI
Connectors: Digital Out for 5.1(6-channel SPDIF Output), Line-Out, Line-In, SB1394/Firewire, Mic-In, Analog/Digital CD Audio In(See Details)
External Box: Yes
Remote Control: Yes
Package Contents: See pics
Special Features: DVD-Audio, THX Certified, DTS-Extended Surround, EAX 4.0 Advanced HD, DirectSound 3D more info->

CD/DVD
Really having trouble with this one -- suggestion warmy welcomed :)

CASE
Having trouble here as well. Looking for a balance between ease of installation of components(removable MB tray..stuff like that) and esthetics. (Id like a transparent side panel and some nice neon lights) -- Again, suggestions are welcome!

TOTAL: $1378

Well, there you have it, my first attempt at peicing together a system. Please dont hold back and offer any advice you can, cause at this point I think the best way for me to move forward is to get advice on what I came up withon my own...and adjust it accordingly.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post!!

HDD: look at WD1200 JB parallel or serial. Serial is the most recent technology.

Value ram doesn,t make sense with the quality of your other components. If you need to cut corners look at the ATI 9600 XT. You'll save about 250.00 and the difference is not that noticeable.

DVD player try the Plextor PX-708A.

My experience with removable mobo trays is that they limit the flexibility needed by a power user. Height of heatsink, fan, etc. I prefer the Cheng Ming design for it's cooling, looks, and freedom to move inside the case. Lots of room.

Well to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of 64 bit processor's. They are more expensive and don't do much of anything,yet (although I'm sure the folding team would love ya if you went that way). I would go with a XP-M and OC it (exactly what I'm running and just did no less then 2 days ago).
XP-M 2600+
Abit NF7-S rev 2
"High Preformance HD" Put games + OS onto this
"Storage Drive"
Case - Get a generic cheiftec (not the best site to buy the case from, they tend to run high). Mine fits this stuff prefectly and takes a beating VERY well.
Don't waste your money on a sound card unless you're a HUGE music person, as the soundstorm that build into this board is pretty sweet.
Heat-spreaders for RAM, good if you plan on overclocking (with the CPU I mentioned you really should)
Add these to your video-card. Helps with the memory overclock
Get this heatsink. Will do very well with the CPU mentioned.
Put this fan onto the CPU. It loud as all hell, but it will do the job.
Can't really offer you much guidence on the RAM. I don't even remeber what brand mine is. Got it for christmas awhile ago.
Stuff mentioned here totals to $457.57
Also throw in some 80mm case fans (my cheiftec has 5, but I think most take 4).

Last edited:
That CPU will not fit into that motherboard. The CPU is socket 754 and the motherboard is socket 939 you need to either upgrade your cpu to socket 939 or switch your motherboard to socket 754. Also you probably will not need that big of a psu.

gore said:
That CPU will not fit into that motherboard. The CPU is socket 754 and the motherboard is socket 939 you need to either upgrade your cpu to socket 939 or switch your motherboard to socket 754. Also you probably will not need that big of a psu.

Yep, (BTW AWESOME NAME GORE :attn: )
And if your willing to spend that much on a video card get a 6800NU or GT you ninny!

and Keiron, why recoomend the obsolete XP line, let him get an A64, the preformance gain is huge compareed to AXPs.

WHOAAAAA!!! Is it just me or are you guys blind?!?!?! That processor's not gonna fit that mother board!!! The processor's socket 754 while the mobo is 939!!! :eek:

By all means, get this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-220&depa=1

The one you chose IS NOT GOING TO WORK WITH THAT PROCESSOR! This is one of the best socket 754 mothe boards. It overclocks the best and won many awards as the best socket 754 mother board. I got it for my A64 3400+. I'll post some results when I get it.

RAM- socket 754 doesn't support dual channel, so one stick of 1GB would be best. It's really expensive though so you could just get dual channel RAM and run it in single channel. I've heard many good things about the OCZ EB series working well with A64's. I recommend this RAM, as it is very good, and I got it for my system. If you want to keep the RAM you chose, that's fine, but I suggest this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-985&depa=1

You could go with a little slower (PC3500 for example) to save some money.

Video card-- DO NOT GET THAT! Getting a 9800XT isn't the best choice now AT ALL! Instead, go with one of the new generation cards. Find yourself a good 6800GT and you'll get 2 times the perfomance of the 9800XT for about the same price. It's kind of hard to find one of these cards around, but by tomorrow, you should be able to find one because most stores get them by then.

HDD- I'd recommend a SATA hard drive. This one would out perform the ones you chose:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-019&depa=1

DVD-RW- http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-023&depa=1

dual layer support, fast write speeds, dependable, and cheap- what more could you want? This is also a part I got for my new computer

Case- this is a very good case for your needs. It looks good, it's quiet and it's easy to install:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-133-132&depa=1

Oh, and BTW,

Welcome to the forums!!!

:)

edit: nice to see that some people aren't blind :clap:

termin@tor said:
WHOAAAAA!!! Is it just me or are you guys blind?!?!?! That processor's not gonna fit that mother board!!! The processor's socket 754 while the mobo is 939!!! :eek:

By all means, get this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-220&depa=1

The one you chose IS NOT GOING TO WORK WITH THAT PROCESSOR! This is one of the best socket 754 mothe boards. It overclocks the best and won many awards as the best socket 754 mother board. I got it for my A64 3400+. I'll post some results when I get it.

RAM- socket 754 doesn't support dual channel, so one stick of 1GB would be best. It's really expensive though so you could just get dual channel RAM and run it in single channel. I've heard many good things about the OCZ EB series working well with A64's. I recommend this RAM, as it is very good, and I got it for my system. If you want to keep the RAM you chose, that's fine, but I suggest this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-985&depa=1

You could go with a little slower (PC3500 for example) to save some money.

Video card-- DO NOT GET THAT! Getting a 9800XT isn't the best choice now AT ALL! Instead, go with one of the new generation cards. Find yourself a good 6800GT and you'll get 2 times the perfomance of the 9800XT for about the same price. It's kind of hard to find one of these cards around, but by tomorrow, you should be able to find one because most stores get them by then.

HDD- I'd recommend a SATA hard drive. This one would out perform the ones you chose:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-019&depa=1

DVD-RW- http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-023&depa=1

dual layer support, fast write speeds, dependable, and cheap- what more could you want? This is also a part I got for my new computer

Case- this is a very good case for your needs. It looks good, it's quiet and it's easy to install:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-133-132&depa=1

Oh, and BTW,

Welcome to the forums!!!

:)

edit: nice to see that some people aren't blind :clap:

Well said termin@tor, ^^ is all you need to know.

Drec said:
and Keiron, why recoomend the obsolete XP line, let him get an A64, the preformance gain is huge compareed to AXPs.
I really don't like the 64's. Nothing uses the 64 bit technology well (with the exception of Linux). As well as, why have a 64 bit processer when everything runs 32 bit. In 2 or 3 years, that may not be the case, but for the moment the XP-M's give more bang-for-your buck imho.

Heres a good list

A64 3400+
EPoX EP-8KDA3+
1gb OCZ EB (enhanced Bandwidth) PC3700
Nvidia 6800GT or AIT X800XT
Lian Li PC65 or Cooler Master Stacker
Fortron 530w PSU
Audigy 2 Zs (basic)
120gb Western Digital SATA HD
Lite-on 52/32/52/16 CDRW-DVD COMBO DRIVE
THERMALRIGHT SLK948U
VANTEC TORNADO

Dude, this should rock your world!!

Wow! Thans for the responses guys!
I would have like to respond sooner but i posted last night before bed, and Inet was down all day at work today (meaning i actually had to do WORK today :mad: )

I didnt go through ALL of the links yet..wanted to go through and ask questions that popped out fo the screen and into my head...

Value ram doesn,t make sense with the quality of your other components. If you need to cut corners look at the ATI 9600 XT. You'll save about 250.00 and the difference is not that noticeable.

I figured that....and no I dont need to cut corners at all, in fact, Id like to avoid that to get the best system I can come up with. (most modern tech, and most likely to do me good for a while).

Don't waste your money on a sound card unless you're a HUGE music person, as the soundstorm that build into this board is pretty sweet.

This is good news..one less thing I have to buy off the bat...and i can always install a new one when the need arises. One question...this motherboard will give me the ability to have a working surround sound system right? (im assuming it is not 5.1 certified..correct me if im wrong)

That CPU will not fit into that motherboard. The CPU is socket 754 and the motherboard is socket 939 you need to either upgrade your cpu to socket 939 or switch your motherboard to socket 754.

Beleive it or not, I actually caught this and wondered about it but wasnt sure. Do you thinK I should try and match a MB to the socket 754 on the CPU, or match a CPU to the MB with socket 939 (As you can probably guess, I dont really know the differences or pros and cons of 754 vs 939...)

And if your willing to spend that much on a video card get a 6800NU or GT you ninny!

HAHA!!!! I DEFINITELY DONOT want to skimp on the Video Card; I want the best one I can get (hopefully without nearing the $1000 dollar mark). Thanks for the tip here..I would have really been kicking myself later on...
Oh and newbie is spelled n-e-w-b-i-e not n-i-n-n-y! :D (too funny though)

About Dual Channel RAM -- What are its benefits over single channel?
Also, why would I want to fill up 2/3 of my DIMM's with 512's, when I could put 1 gig sticks in each of them for 3 gig RAM? (not being a smartass...i actually dont know)
Also, Drec, the MoBo you suggested is 3 gig max, where the one I originally chose was 4 gig max. Mind explaining why NOT to get the 4 gig (aside from campatability issues with other components i have chosen)

HDD- I'd recommend a SATA hard drive. This one would out perform the ones you chose:http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-148-019&depa=1

This one is OEM, and requires an additional power adapter. Will this be problematic for my noobish self?

Case- this is a very good case for your needs. It looks good, it's quiet and it's easy to install:http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-133-132&depa=1

Oooooooh....that IS a nice case!!...Plenty of room to work with I presume?

OH BY THE WAY.....
Will Newegg ship to Canada????
I went through the registration process and had to choose a State to be from cause there was no option for provinces in the mandatory fields...

Please dont tell me Im **** out of luck with Newegg :cry:

There must be a Canadian somewhere in here....What did you do?

Anyways I think I got most of it...now to go through some of those product links you guys provided that I havent checked yet...and to start re-speccing my system a little bit...(heh that last one took me FOREVER!!!)

Thanks alot guys..looking forward to being taught even more by you fine folks!!!

K...video card...get a 6800GT it's the same card as the ultra just clocked a little slower...which really isn't a big deal in terms of performance especialy if you OC.

CPU....I'd go for a socket 939 3500+ A64...it utilizes dual channel memory unlike the 754.

Your RAM...I'd pickup some PC3700...I wouldn't waste my cash on all that EL and ultra low timings, because in real world performance it's just not there.
As far as the filling slots up...the Abit board you showed only has 2 dimms...now in all honesty 2x512 should be good for a year...if you want more later just sell the 2x512 and pickup 2x1gb then, because right now 1gb sticks arn't really prevelent or probably OCing that high.

HDD, if 80gb is enough for you I highly highly highly recommend getting a 74gb WD raptor. This drive is blazingly fast! Also there is no difference in performance between SATA and PATA (cept for the raptor) so don't spend extra for a SATA drive, if thier the same price, then I'd go sata simply beause the cable is smaller.

oh boy...and your comment about will newegg ship to canada.... :( I'm sorry dude they don't! This will probably increase your costs somewhat...your gonna need to find some vendors in canada.

Best of luck, if you stick with your general plan you WON'T be dissapointed

Doesnt www.bigfootcomputers.com have alot of the same stuff as newegg? they are in canada, and they ship anywhere there.

BTW socket754 is single chanell, BUT, you can still use twin sticks of ram without any problems

But the most future-proof socket is the 939, it has Dual-Channel DDR, tons of features, and when you go to get the new mobo's that will have DDR2 and PCI-X (PCI express) you can keep your CPU, and at stock speeds the 939 setups are faster.

but right now the s939's are not OC'ing that well, but if you arent to worried about that part, go ahead and get them

the best OC'ing setup right now is the s754 w/ the 3000+ or the 3200+
Newcastle.

and the Best ram for the A64 is the OCZ EB PC3200, 3500, or 3700

and You will love this computer tons!!

iseethemtoo said:
This is good news..one less thing I have to buy off the bat...and i can always install a new one when the need arises. One question...this motherboard will give me the ability to have a working surround sound system right? (im assuming it is not 5.1 certified..correct me if im wrong)
Seems to be Dolby 5.1, according to the specs of the motherboard. Also had 6 channel. Not a huge sound person, so I really don't know the difference.
Do keep in mind that this is a socket A motherboard. Thus will only fit socket A processors (Duron, Athalon, Athalon XP, and XP-M for example). Not the new 64 bit processors.

Ok here goes...I have made a new system that I think will work pretty good.

It came out a bit more expensive, mainly because of the CPU and Video Card I chose this time...

I know it may be kicking a long dead horse for you guys, but If you have the time Id appreciate you taking a moment to look it over and make sure I have no compatability issues or anything like that.

Here it is:

Case
Thermaltake VA3000 Dream Tower Black Tsunami VA3000BWA ATX Case with Transparent X type side panel window -RETAIL
Specifications:
Case Type: Mid Tower
Color: Black
Material: Aluminum
Drive Bays: 5.25" x 4/0, 3.5" x 2/5 (external/internal)
Expansion Slots: 7
Front Ports: 2 x USB2.0, 2 x audio, 1 x IEEE1394
Power Supply: N/A
Cooling System: 1 x 120mm front fan, 1 x 90mm side fan, 1 x 120mm Blue LED rear fan
Motherboard Compatibility: Mini ATX, ATX, Full ATX (Dual CPU)
Dimensions: 19.5" x 8.3" x 18.9"(HxWxD)
Features: Mirror coating, Lockable safety side-panel
$129.00

MoBo
ABIT "AV8" K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: AMD Athlon64/Athlon64 FX Processors
Chipset: VIA K8T800 Pro + VT8237
RAM: 4x DIMM for DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB<---- I "could" put in 4 sticks @ 1gig each, correct?
IDE: 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X , 5x PCI
Ports: 2xPS/2,1xCOM,1xLPT,SPDIF In/Out,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),3xIEEE1394(Rear 1),1xLAN,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: 6-Channel AC97 Codec
Onboard LAN: VIA VT6122 Gigabit Ethernet
Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x Serial ATA, RAID 0/1
Onboard 1394: 3 Ports
Form Factor: ATX
$119.85

Video Card
eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "256-A8-N344-AX" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce 6800GT/350MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB GDDR3/1GHz
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out (S-Video) + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9, OpenGL 1.5
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@60Hz
Cable/Accessories: Manual, 2x DVI to VGA Adapters, FARCRY
Retail Box
$424.00
I picked this over theother three GT's mainly cause of Farcry and cheaper price -- Good move?

PSU
OCZ PowerStream 420W Power Supply With Adjustable Power Rails With LED Indicators, SATA Connector, Model "OCZ420ADJ" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Type: ATX
Maximum Power: 420W
PFC: N/A
Input Voltage: 100-120V AC/200-240V AC
Input Frequency Range: 60/50Hz
Input Current: 10/6A
Output: +3.3V@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@30A, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Approvals: TUV, UL, CSA, CE, CB, FCC
Features: OCZ PowerWhisper Technology, OCZ PowerFlex™ individually adjustable power rails with LED indicators. OCZ ConnectAll universal connector. (ATX, BTX, SATA, P4 and EPS12V), OCZ PowerShield power leads for VGA and HD. 5 year warranty backed by OCZ's exclusive PowerSwap replacement program.
$85.00

CPU
AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3800+, 2.4 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail
Specifications:
Model: AMD Athlon 64
Core: Newcastle
Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz
FSB: Integrated into Chip
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512KB
Voltage: 1.5V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 939
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Warranty: 3-year MFG
Packaging: Retail box(with Heatsink and Fan)
$649.00

RAM
OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth Dual Channel Series Platinum Edition 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3700, Model OCZ4661024EBDCPE-K - Retail
Specification
Manufacturer: OCZ Technology
Speed: DDR466(PC3700)
Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3-3-2-8
Support Voltage: 2.8V
Bandwidth: 3.7GB/s
Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime
$327.00

HDD
Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD360GD, OEM Drive Only
Specifications:
Capacity: 36.7GB
Average Seek Time: 5.2 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA
Features: Not specified
Manufacturer Warranty: 5 years
Packaging: OEM Drive Only
$112.00
I chose this for high performance off the bat, and although I will not have two for RAID 0, I thought I'd do this in case I decide to do that at a later time (really dont know enough about RAID atm) -- Good Idea?

CD/DVD
NEC 8X Black Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model ND-2510A BLK, OEM BULK
Specifications:
Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 2.4X DVD+R DL, 32X CD-R, 16X CD-RW
Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
Buffer: 2MB
OS Support: Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE
Features: Support for writing DVD+R DL; Vertical operation possible, anti-dust seal.
Packaging: OEM Bulk Pack (No Software Included)
$71.99

TOTAL = $1917

My biggest concern at this point (aside from having everything be able to work together...) is the two OEM components in the list...The HDD and The CD/DVD Drive.

Do you think Ill be able to install these without a manual? Remember this will be my first build, and Im very new at all this "building-my-own" stuff.

Are these pretty complicated components to install?

My worst fear is to get all the parts, and be stuck there, not knowing how to actually put it all together...

Also, If my parts are all good to go, can you see anything in the list that will require additional purchases to get running? (do I need to buy any additional cables, fans or anything like that?)

FYI - I dont plan to overclock right away, not until I teach myself more about it.(hope that doesnt get me killed here in the OC forums :eh?:

Thanks again guys for taking the time to help me out :cool:

FYI, you don't need to include each part's specs when you list. Generally we can identify popular parts by number, and what we don't recognize is usually easy to look up. :)

Damn dude! looks good!

but one thing, the 3500+ is cheaper and all you need to do is OC to 3800+ levels
and with that extra money, you can get the 74gb Raptor, wich is only about 60 bucks more, and is double the space!

You did Great on the vidcard, they almost all perform the same, and eVGA has a damn good deal with getting Farcry free, what better way to test out this rig? hehe

on the case, dont listen to others, Thermalright has some damn fine cases that look good and are easy to work with!

But the PSU has me bothered, OCZ makes awsome ram, but their PSU's dont stand up to real good ones like Fortron, and for the price you are paying, i would get the 530w Fortron for the exact same price!

Great choice on the ram! the best for ya!

now dont be worried about not knowing anything, we are here to help you every step of the way! and dont worry about OCing right off the bat, Learn about your computer first, and then go OCing!

and dude we wont kill you! well just take your self respecting, money saving soul!!!!! mwahahahaha!!!

J/K!

and good luck! and that system is going to make you happier then a kid on christmas morning! hehe

You could always do what I am gonna do, If you live close to the border you could always have it shipped to a friends house in the US and then drive over there and pick everything up. Just make sure that you check with the canadian border to see how much taxes and duties might cost you before you order, because it might just be cheaper to go and buy it from a canadian store.

I'd say go for the 74gb raptor, it's actualy faster than the 36gb version! Other than that I say your pickin some very high quality parts.
Another thing.... I'm not sure how much more an FX is, but if you OC and like messing with things the FX-53 socket 939 has it's multipliers unlocked so you can mess around with them more. It probably wouldn't give much more performance, but if your into OCing and messing with multipliers and FSB then I think it would be a good thing to get.

Back