• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EXTRA! Noob needs critique of first system!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Awesome!!!

Thanks all! it looks like im definitely getting closer :)

Now I think I will read a bit more on OC'ing and see if its the type of thing I can tackle, and ultimately make a decision based on that!

FYI, you don't need to include each part's specs when you list. Generally we can identify popular parts by number, and what we don't recognize is usually easy to look up.

Excellent..wasnt sure about this..as you can see by the way I asked about it in my first post. But from now on if I wanna post some parts...I wont simply cut and paste everything from my wishlist :)

on the case, dont listen to others, Thermalright has some damn fine cases that look good and are easy to work with!

You mean "Thermaltake"..right?
And I know that Lian Li cases seem to be the ****nit, they are just not flashy enough for me....I know I know, going for some looks isnat always the best idea, but this is my first build and i wanted something I could look at afterwards as "cool looking". And unfortunately for me, I dont really like the external appeal of the Lian Lee's.
Actually I made my decision subconciously a while ago....Ther had been this tower at work that I thought was big and ugly the first time I saw it...then just today I actually worked near it and saw the "Lain Li" logo...
Anyways, if I have a problem with the case I chose, theres nothing stoppng me from going a different route on a new one :D

now dont be worried about not knowing anything, we are here to help you every step of the way! and dont worry about OCing right off the bat, Learn about your computer first, and then go OCing!

and dude we wont kill you! well just take your self respecting, money saving soul!!!!! mwahahahaha!!!

Thanks so much for the pep talk...you guys rock and I definitely wouldnt even be trying this if it werent for y'all! :thup:

The Raptor is an excellent idea, I have one myself.
In fact, I have two PCs sitting here at the moment...mine, with the 36GB Raptor and one I just built ( unfortunately, not for me) with twin 74GB Raptors.
Despite what the specs/benchmarks say, I can tell no difference in normal use between the two different sized drives.
I've also set the twins up in a RAID 0 configuration and was not blown away either.
You really can't tell the difference.

I think the best value might be the baby Raptor and then the biggest Seagate SATA drive you can afford for storage.

Listen if your looking for a case that's "cool looking" then get the Cooler Master WaveMaster which is actually what Thermaltake tried to copy off of, but the CM WaveMaster has a remove-able motherboard tray which makes things a ton easier, looks better in my opinion, and most of all has a ton more quality than the cheap Thermaltake rip-offs... But then again it's your money, and your call so go with what you want... Just don't complain about the dents, and extremely flimsy structure later on....

After reading that last list, quick question. Are you getting more then 1 of those things of RAM? (you really don't need it imho, I have 1 gig of ram and I don't ever use all of it)
I wonder because, those are not sticks of 1 gig, they are 2 sticks of 512 in dual channel formation. Also, does that motherboard require certafied RAM? I remeber that being a problem with that socket earlier on, but I wasn't sure if it was ever cleared up.

After reading that last list, quick question. Are you getting more then 1 of those things of RAM?

Nope, just two sticks of 512 for 1 gig. I think the question your thinking about is the one where I ask if I can get 4 gig into there?

Also, does that motherboard require certafied RAM?

This will seem retarded but...How do I tell?

Interesting thing just happened too...I was talking to the man who does the budget for this thing, and it seems heis alright with me going for the FX-53 :drool:

After I write this..its over to newegg to see what I should build around that!

only the s940 required the registered (not certified) ram

that rocks that you can get the FX-53!! that thing ruleth overeth alleth!! hehe

and dont worry about having 2 sticks of ram on single channel, all you do is run them in single channel, and yu will be fine!

duh! *bangs head* i have been reading so many threads lately about ppl getting s754's and all worried about their ram, heh, i feel like an idiot

yes s939 has dual channel. my mistake for not paying full attention

and great choice on the board, i heard that it got just go top OC mobo from somewhere, (cant remember so dont ask) and that it realy kicks some huge butt

the only thing i would worry about is that DFI has their board coming out later this month that is supposedly gonna kick A like no other, but i wont make my mind up until i see some handson benchies with a shipping board. so it depends on how long you are willing to wait. get it now and get a damn fine board, or wait a little longer and get a board with huge potential that we still arnt sure on how it will do with the shipped version.

Thanks for sticking with me for a bit Shard :)

So, do you think I should stick with the ABIT board for the FX-52?

I was pondering on the asus k8v deluxe....

Last edited:
well, considering i havnt heard very nice things about DFI in the past, i am not that exited about them right now. But, the Abit AV8 is one hell of a board, coupled with a FX-53, which is unlocked, you can get some insane OC's! and from my experience, Abit has always made the most reliable boards in overclocking boards, and they do OC very well

iseethemtoo said:
Thanks for sticking with me for a bit Shard:)

Dude, i am here to help, and ppl ask me why do i hang out here with my crappyrig, well i like to learn and help others with my knowledge!

BTW yes that is my only rig in my sig.

Back