• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extreme FX-4100 temperatures.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok thanks! Gonna have a try when i hit home. I get to be home only on weekends as i work for the military in singapore so getting the issue sorted out is quite a challenge for me due to lack of time

Alright! I'm home now and bought a couple of high CFM fans and installed into my casing. Sadly i can only have 2 exhaust if i want to blow air onto the NB heatsinks as apparently the huge H80 radiator and fans still block proper airflow over the heatsinks. Anyway here are the pictures from my Prime 95 test and CPU ID Hardware. I no longer have the 255degC issues after a test of 30mins. In the past after just 10mins i would get the error, however now its running good!

CPUhardwaregdtemp.png
prime95.png

PS: The temp is with the com running in warm tropical climate conditions. Now i've turned on the air conditioning in my room and hope it brings the temps down a lil more.

Looks like your CPU socket temps are still pretty warm at 61 C. (I'm guessing that's TMPIN1).

Now you'll have to show us new pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU" "Memory" and "SPD" to help us help you sort out the instability problem.

Looks like your CPU socket temps are still pretty warm at 61 C. (I'm guessing that's TMPIN1).

Now you'll have to show us new pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU" "Memory" and "SPD" to help us help you sort out the instability problem.

My guess would be its the NB. My NB heatsink is hot to touch but low enough to hold onto for long periods of time, altho with relative high level of discomfort. The problem with part of the heatsinks are that its partially blocked overhead by the H80 radiator. I cant shift my radiator to exhaust via the top as its still blocked by the motherboard. Anyway the following is my CPU, memory and SPD tab pictures. Please inform me if i've done anything wrong.

CPU-Z-1.png
CPUZmemory.png
CPUZSPD.png

Looks like your tRAS and your tRC could be brought down to 27 and 36, respectively. I'm comparing the "Memory" tab (current settings) with the "SPD" tab (manufacturer's recommendations).

Maybe we've gone over this ground before but why are you overclocking with the fsb instead of the CPU multiplier? You have a CPU with an unlocked multiplier and that would make the task more simple.

Looks like your tRAS and your tRC could be brought down to 27 and 36, respectively. I'm comparing the "Memory" tab (current settings) with the "SPD" tab (manufacturer's recommendations).

Maybe we've gone over this ground before but why are you overclocking with the fsb instead of the CPU multiplier? You have a CPU with an unlocked multiplier and that would make the task more simple.

Alrighty will change my ram settings later. Im overclocking with the FSB as im trying to learn how to overclock with FSB instead of just using the multiplier. Also i learn somewhere that FX tend to trottle inconsistantly if the multiplier is set high without changing the FSB. Trying to see any differences. Anyway i do not have the option of 1.650v for my DRAM, instead closest is 1.652. Will that extra 0.002v actually cause harm to my DRAM?

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the FX CPUs so well as I've never had one myself but what are the stock HT Link and CPUNB frequencies for those processors? Or do they even use the "HT Link" anymore as it doesn't show up in CPU-z?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the FX CPUs so well as I've never had one myself but what are the stock HT Link and CPUNB frequencies for those processors? Or do they even use the "HT Link" anymore as it doesn't show up in CPU-z?

Yes they still do feature HT Link which was present in my BIOS but somehow not shown on CPU-Z. Stock HT Link is 2600MHZ. Stock CPU-NB is displayed at 2000MHZ for this chip. Info taken from some forums as i can't rmbr clearly what mine was but i reckon it should be the same throught all FX 4100

So, the HT Link frequency is higher than the CPUNB frequency at stock? That's weird.

What's the stock CPUNB voltage? 1.3v seems high for the slight overclock you have on the CPUNB. 1.464 for the vcore strikes me as being pretty high as well but like I say, I've had no hands on with the FX CPUs. Seems like I've heard they don't scale well temp wise with voltage increase though.

What's the stock CPUNB voltage? 1.3v seems high for the slight overclock you have on the CPUNB. 1.464 for the vcore strikes me as being pretty high as well but like I say, I've had no hands on with the FX CPUs. Seems like I've heard they don't scale well temp wise with voltage increase though.

Should be 1.25 for stock CPU NB voltage. Anyway that's not the final voltage. I'm still trying to reduce the voltage and test the stability now the vcore has been reduced to 1.448 at the moment and still trying to reduce it. The voltage was high because on previous settings i tried to push the clocking abit higher and i got errors due to lack of volt. So i upped the voltage but didnt reduce it when i turned down the clocks. Will try to reduce the volts again when i got time, its sunday again and i cant touch my com for 5days :cry:

EDIT: Funny enough the lowest vcore i can go is 1.455v. Anything lower i got stability issues. And my DRAM is currently set at 1.652v, will the extra 0.002v do damage to my ram? Cause i got stability issues at 1.645. The next voltage would be 1.652v, theres no 1.650v option for me

Last edited:
Back