• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H Heater box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrixzen

I know this is kinda funny, but back when I was still in college, I'd run 3 comps in my room with F@H. My room was always at a constant 70-80 during the winter, and let's not talk about summer. :eek:

Anyways, now years later I find myself folding on some nice cool intel Quad cores that don't produce a lick of heat even on stock air cooling. They're also all in seperate rooms like any normal person would have! I was thinking of buying a heater for my room to warm up a little when I'm sitting at my cold desk as it's very energy ineffecient to crank the heater and warm a huge house vs one room.

This got me thinking, in the past I folded on P4 Prescotts, AMD Athlons, and other CPUs that would crank some heat. Are there any really good folding setups that would make some good heat and do well folding wise? I rather have the electricity spent finding cures with the added benefit of heating my rear vs an electric heater. Input is greatly appreciated!

If you are folding on quad cores you should be feeling at least 150w of heat from them while FAH is running. You could build a DP/QP system that will throw some real amounts of heat, or overclock more. Graphics cards are great at throwing heat as well.

Graphics cards are great at throwing heat as well.

x2

You can draw 100W per card for an entry level card, around 200W per card for mid-level, 250W for high end, and 350+W for the multi-GPU cards. They're serious wattage eaters. I'm not sure how their PPD/watt compares to the latest CPUs, but in terms of sheer heat generation, that'd be the way to go. They'd generate way more PPD/watt than an old CPU would.

GT200 cards (GTX 260, 275, 285) cards aren't terribly expensive used.

Ya on video cards, my room is nice and toasty ATM with the 460/470 going now, but I wouldn't buy one just for heat.;)

Well, case in point I wanted to knock out 2 birds with one stone. Might as well shell out a little extra cash and help out a good cause.

Back