• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

failed OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I saw one person say that he did not consider his system stable unless it could run P95 and Furmark at the same time without issue...

For people using software like F@H and my Bluray software even Seti that uses every bit of processing power from the CPU and the GPU's. This would give them a good idea of overall temps and driver issues.

Originally Posted by Mandrake4565
As you well know overclocking is all about learning, a lot of people don't want to learn, they just want to come here and find numbers to plug into their system and viola they have an overclocked pc. You know as well as I do that it doesn't work that way. The ones who come here that want to learn and understand the inns and outs of overclocking will learn what their system needs to be stable for their uses. Some will find prime overkill some will find it a necessity.

:thup:

What these folks forget, is variety, the spice of life, the simple point that not everyone who overclocks requires the same treatment. Not every user is running F@H 24/7. Not every user is a hard core gamer playing Crysis 3 for hours on end. Not everyone is using a PC in a resource intensive way and many of them will never, ever peg all CPU cores and subsystems for 2 hours straight. In reality, many users will never need the stability that prime95 demands.

So do these people need to OC their system or just want to for the sake of " My machine runs at 6.5GHZ" and all the power to them.

Personally I don't care either way if the individual does or doesn't run prime for 2 hours and if their machine blows a cap at some point it's all their problem not mine.
I ask people to run prime so that in the event they may actually be working their system they don't have some catastrophic failure solely because their OC was too high and they had a melt down. :cry:

Last edited:
Storm I am not in 100% disagreement with you that prime95 2 hours is a little overkill for some users. With that said when we have people come here and ask us how to overclock and or help them try to stabilize there pc at high OC's. We don't know what they are using the computer for most of the time. Nor can we sit down at their desk and work on their pc, to help figure out what exactly is causing the instability, while trying to push on their cpu. As you well know overclocking is all about learning, a lot of people don't want to learn, they just want to come here and find numbers to plug into their system and viola they have an overclocked pc. You know as well as I do that it doesn't work that way. The ones who come here that want to learn and understand the inns and outs of overclocking will learn what their system needs to be stable for their uses. Some will find prime overkill some will find it a necessity.

I'm running 2 sticks of 2 gig dual channel. Now maybe I'm beginning to understand. In my original post, I didn't ask anybody to tell me how to DO anything. I asked about a feature that I thought might help but wasn't sure. I never said or implied tell me how to OC or stabilize my OC. There was a wealth of information in the post that should have served notice that I do have a pretty good idea of how things work. I'm not asking you to tell me how to do anything. I just wanted to know what a feature on my board meant. Isn't that why these boards are here? I've virtually studied on this over clocking thing particularly Dulk's guide as far as Phenom II goes. Rest has been trial and error. I got 4.1Ghz by increasing vcore as was suggested. Hadn't done it myself because I wasn't sure going past 1.5vcore was a good idea. Ran prime blended for an hour with no sign of trouble with the exception of temps. 36C idle 59C p95. Max is 60C but Ive found that the closer you get to manufacturer thermal limits, the more likely the OC to fail. Double whammy. OC'ing creates heat and the higher the speed over spec, the less tolerant of heat it becomes. Most of the problem is ambient temps. This room is the warmest in the house. Having 2 computers running 24/7 doesn't help. This morning when I came in it was 77.8F in here. It will be an issue until we start running the air. I'm mindful of this and have backed off to 4.0 for now. I'm sorry if you interpreted my post as saying "tell me how to OC my computer." The was not what I had in mind when I wrote it. I was trying to solve the problem myself and just needed information about a feature I'm not familiar with. I meant no insult. It's unfortunate you found it necessary to jump the gate with such truculence in an otherwise amicable forum. Regardless, I did find good information in this thread that helped me achieve my goal. For that I'm grateful.

Thread Title: Does AMD ACC help with Phenom 2 processors?

Would ACC help my failing core on AMD Phenom IIx4 975BE in P95 might have been a better question maybe. Not sure. Maybe if that was what you really wanted answer about.

Think my answer would have been along these lines. ACC was designed for processors before the Phenom 2 processor. ACC is not known to help much with later processors.

Try it and see since as far as I know there is no base of real information.

A failing core when using P95 Blend is generally taken as a sign of needed additional Vcore.

Glad you got the information in the overall scope of things. Enough to sort your situation out. Good luck man and happy computering. And lastly, I know what you mean about the coming summer weather. The old enemy heat rears it's ugly head.
RGone...

For people using software like F@H and my Bluray software even Seti that uses every bit of processing power from the CPU and the GPU's. This would give them a good idea of overall temps and driver issues.

And likely not to do any good at all because the computer attempting to run both at the same time would just lock up almost immediately. And I'm not sure how running futuremark and Prime95 simultaneously would help you resolve driver issues? For that you go to device manager and/or seek out the proper driver from the manufacturer's website, etc.

So do these people need to OC their system or just want to for the sake of " My machine runs at 6.5GHZ" and all the power to them.

Personally I don't care either way if the individual does or doesn't run prime for 2 hours and if their machine blows a cap at some point it's all their problem not mine.
I ask people to run prime so that in the event they may actually be working their system they don't have some catastrophic failure solely because their OC was too high and they had a melt down. :cry:

Keep any eye on your voltages, airflow and temps in check and there is almost zero risk of a catastrophic failure if your clocks speeds are within standard operating limits. Occasionally, I will go ahead and use prime95 for 5-10 minutes to get a baseline on temps, but that's really it. Two hours is just plain overkill.

Do these people need to OC their systems? What do you mean? No, most people in general don't "need" to OC but its fun and then end result is a faster better performing machine. These are realistic overclocks and within standard OC limits for air cooling and basic liquid cooling. These are real systems that get used on a daily bases, some are joined to domains some are standalone win7 or win 8 machines. We used logmein Pro and which provides a great "dashboard" view of the system and uptime, which typically stands at or near 100%. It also shows us the event logs which look normal and typical with no signs of trouble. The truth is these systems are perfectly reliable in reality and I certainly wont let prime95 hold them back.

the computer attempting to run both at the same time would just lock up almost immediately.

not sure how you know that about somebody elses computer.... mine will do it just fine as long as id like.... in fact I can browse the web casually all at the same time. your computer may not... but its a little naive to assume everybodys computer will react the exact same as yours

not sure how you know that about somebody elses computer.... mine will do it just fine as long as id like.... in fact I can browse the web casually all at the same time. your computer may not... but its a little naive to assume everybodys computer will react the exact same as yours

More power 2 you. I guess its a good thing if you want to test max power draw on your PSU and hope not to burn anything up in the process. Other than that, I don't really see a need.

DW, I know that I posted that I was googling stability testing and one poster in a forum said that he did not consider his system stable unless his system would pass both P95 and Furmark at the same time. Think I said I would slap my forehead just thinking about doing such.

BUT I was surfing today and I actually came across another user in a different forum that said he considered his system stable if it would run P95, Lin-X and Furmark at the same time. Holy Crap, that too I can hardly believe.

I only started coming across such wild stuff when I started searching by just the words 'stability' + 'testing' and apparently there are some very serious stress testers.

I tried to read between the lines of the forum posts where I saw that 95/furmark/Lin-X at the same time because I thought he was pulling the other guys leg or something, but I could find no sarcasm that he was posting at. I guess there are just some that are super serious in their ideas about what they consider stable. Strokes for folks again I guess. I know I am not looking to do 95/furmark/Lin-X at the same time...well now they have my curiosity up. I might try it. Hehehe.
RGone...

I tried to read between the lines of the forum posts where I saw that 95/furmark/Lin-X at the same time because I thought he was pulling the other guys leg or something, but I could find no sarcasm that he was posting at. I guess there are just some that are super serious in their ideas about what they consider stable. Strokes for folks again I guess. I know I am not looking to do 95/furmark/Lin-X at the same time...well now they have my curiosity up. I might try it. Hehehe.
RGone...
Yeahp, I happened to come across the same thread. Pretty crazy stuff.

"Does AMD ACC help with Phenom 2 processors? ":
Nope. I read the answer in an official AMD statement a couple of years ago. It was helping for Phenom I's, but is totally useless for PhenomII's.

About prime95, it's not only about max temps or raw load. It's about algorythms. You can have a 2/3 hours Prime95 stable rig that can BSOD only by applying a filter in PS, or mess a media encoding, or just freeze when opening a stupid app like paint. People usually say 12hrs because it's roughly the time it takes for Prime95 to loop.

I learned it the hard way with my first 2600K, that my GF was using for CS5 (I say my GF because she is the pro and I am only an "amateur" regarding Adobe Suite, lol). The rig was giving BSOD's when doing a free transform on a 5MB image. The rig had passed 2hrs Prime, was playing any game flawlessly. I then planned on going with a 12hrs prime95 run, but it rebooted after 2hrs50'ish. I had to crank up the vCore to 1.49v to have it really stable 5GHz: Prime ran 12 hours with no problem and my GF never had any issue any more with CS5 :)

Thank you, DW, for adding a disclaimer to the fact that running future mark and prime95 at the same time can be done and IS possible. It may also NOT be possible on some machines with inadequate cooling or underrated power supplies, etc but nevertheless, now lets move on to the more important question: is really practical for the average overclocker? No.

Just for ****s and giggles I ran Prime95 and Unigine Heaven 4.0 on extreme for an hour today. It made a difference in core temp of ~5° . I am running SLI so my top card does get warm but was only at 71°.
I do believe it might be worth while for users who load their systems to the max to do something like this. Certainly if they intend to leave things unattended for hours on end and just let it crunch away.

For the same reasons I just tried running multiple iterations of prime95 (two executables each running a blend test) and noticed a little more heat inside the case and with the CPU but the system continued to operate, albeit with a little more lag. Now how about this for the next level: Prime x 2 x futuremark? :D

Thank you, DW, for adding a disclaimer to the fact that running future mark and prime95 at the same time can be done and IS possible. It may also NOT be possible on some machines with inadequate cooling or underrated power supplies, etc but nevertheless, now lets move on to the more important question: is really practical for the average overclocker? No.

don't get upset that I corrected your false statement. contrary to what you seem to believe im not trying to **** you off on purpose. its a correction not a disclaimer.

don't get upset that I corrected your false statement. contrary to what you seem to believe im not trying to **** you off on purpose. its a correction not a disclaimer.

I know accurate information is the best kind of information and I understand you were working toward that end. No hard feelings.

I set up F@H last night for the up coming CC and noticed that my cards ran the same temp but my CPU was only hitting ~ 44° which is about 5° lower than when I just run prime95 on it's own.

I set up F@H last night for the up coming CC and noticed that my cards ran the same temp but my CPU was only hitting ~ 44° which is about 5° lower than when I just run prime95 on it's own.
I have noticed the same Johan, on my Cpu temp.

Back