• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prec1ze

Registered
I was looking to add this fan controller to my case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999229, now i understand that these controllers are not the best but i mainly want it for the looks.

However i know very little about fan controllers so my question is what kind of fans can be used with this controller. I am assuming that the fan controller will be powering the fans. I know it says 8w per channel however i do not see any wattage listed on any of the fans on newegg.

It should power any fans that are under 8 watts. If this isn't listed, you can easily calculate this by multiplying the voltage times the amperage. So, if a fan is 1 amp and 12 volts, the wattage is 12. If a fan is 0.5 amp and 12 volts, the wattage is 6.

That being said, I wouldn't buy a controller that "loud" (i.e. ugly, tacky) and would suggest something from Lamptron. Their controllers are a lot higher quality and can take much more of a fan load per channel.

Any 3 pin fan will work with it which is pretty much all computer fan's. You plug them directly in the the controller, and you plug the controller into your power supply. 8 watts per channel though is very low, usually fan controllers are 15-20 watts per channel. The only way this will be a problem for you though is if you will have crazy fast fans running at max RPM's. The fan will run just not at top rated RPM if it exceeds the controller's power limit.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you overdraw on a channel, it will overheat the unit and burn it out. It doesn't just run slower.

Agreeing with you and adding a little extra. :sn: Sunbeam (Rheostat) and Lamptron use heat sinks.

Every controller I've ever used without good heat sinks. Went south really fast. The two LCD controllers I owned, had no sinks. Of course they are long dead now. Resistance makes heat. Heat kills things. (Fan controllers are resistive by design.)

Last edited:
If you want the flashy LCD screen, I suggest this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Controllers+/+Panels+-+etc.-_-NZXT-_-11992004

I have one in my desktop and it works great. It's hooked up to 3 silverstone 180mm fans right now. Handled 5x 120mm @ ~1600rpm in the past for 24/7 use.

For less flashy, single-slot, and just as functional,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992005
works just as good. I have one in my server. Bought this one because it doesn't have knobs so i can still shut the door on the server case after adjusting. It's got 3x120mm and 1x 140mm on it 24/7.

If you want a fan controller that looks neat and will hold up, you might want to take a look at the Lamptron Touch. But it's pretty spendy though.

I like the looks of that one plus it only takes up 1 5.25 bay. I think i am going with that one. Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Back