• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Filters - Yey or Ney

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xAlucarDx

Registered
Is it worth the $2/intake fan for fan filters? Does it have any negative effect on the overall airflow of the fan? This is something im wondering about since im going to buy some new case fans and am trying to decide if i want to buy filters or just get some cool grills for it. any suggestions?

~Alucard

good filter brands or types would be nice as well =D

Filters will introduce some resistance, and lower overall case airflow. How much depends upon the resistance of the filter.

It is best to simply try something you have around home... pantyhose, dryer sheets etc. and see what kind of a difference it makes in temps. Then decide if you want to set something up a little more permanent or high quality. :)

So in conclusion if you want quiet+good airflow? Don't use filters. Spray the inside of the case with compressed air every now and then.

Don't be lazy.

..Unless you live in a relatively cool environment with big fluffy carpets.

I get away without using filters because this POS carpet is thin and I live on the top floor of the house. Consequently, it also gets very warm in here, so as you can see there are both advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:
I covered my intake fan (side panel, 120mm) with some mesh, temps didn't seem to be affected, and it does catch some dust which I take a second to vacuum off every week or two.

I have no fan filters, but i have so much airflow in my case dust never really gets a cgance to settle. It is sucked in and jeted right out. Ive had it for a while and there is no dust inside.

Back