• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan grill question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PaciFIST69

I have a tsunami dream case and the rear fan grill seems abnormally thick and restricts a lot of airflow pic
I'm thinking about cutting it off. Has anyone else had any experience cutting this? What does it do to noise and temps?

it'll improve on everything, increase airflow, reduce noise. etc..

just cut it with like.. sharp metal clipper, a knife, dremmel, w/e. and then get a metal file to make it smooth.

i would do it to my case, but right now i can't be botherd since im building an entirely new woody.

Definitively off with it.
I cuting every these things off allways all the time. But hey, don't listen to me, I'm entierly mad :) :beer:

Look there:
http://ax2.old-cans.com/s.php?p=wc&id=77&c=8&d=1&v=v2

Here:
http://ax2.old-cans.com/s.php?p=wc&id=133&c=8&d=1&v=v2

And also there:
http://ax2.old-cans.com/s.php?p=wc&id=115&c=8&d=1&v=v2

To see what kind of person you deal with :D Anyway, I have best results using holesaws. Practice first, tough. And invite a friend with gloves (heat pieces of metal going off from the cut, so unless you are masochist, then dress properly to that, it kinda hurts...) to hold you the case tight, and move everything from it first, before moving to garage.

Best way would be to secure the back pannel on workbench, but that is a bit tricky and require some spare wood pieces - one the size to fit inside the case and one big to support the case. Then using calipers holt all together and you free to drill alone :)

Can't imagine that? Well, think harder, I did not make any pic of this work, but maybe I should... :D

I have the same case. Are you using the stock blue led fan? While cutting the grill off would certainly help, a more powerful fan can make a difference too. Obviously this is more expensive, but it is an alternative if you really do not want to cut the grill out.

This is the reason I come to the forums, I learn something new everytime I visit:clap:
I had no idea the grills made that much of a difference, what about the ones with circular bars instead of holes?

Also, I've been thinking about adding a blow hole to my case. How affective are these and what size fan should I use?

Well, basicaly EVERYTHING in the path of flow cause difference. Sometimes it is very big... This is not the case, but still he can gain like 18 - 20% airflow by cutting this grill off completely.
Only possible problem that I can imagine is if he have a cat - but every cat stick there their paw only once, lol - they learn :)

And one more thing about grills. Especially these with sharp edges, like grills made by cut off from sheet metal. Noise. The air going around these edges are not only slowed down, but create a little whirls in the process.
Hence cuting this off not only enhace airflow, but also minimize the noise the airflow is causing... ;) I think that it is pretty apparent now, why do it.

Blow hole? Yea, they are purrfect on top, where hot air is. Even passive ones are good. I use 92mm holesaw there. If your case insides are too hot, you can consider bigger and with a fan, but not need.
The only problem I have here is to get the nice flat grills, like are pictured on this pic:
http://ax2.old-cans.com/s.php?p=wc&id=67&c=8&d=1&v=v2

As you can see, these can be screwed into the case, and that looking so good. All the ones with bend the ends has to be screwed from outside and that is ughly as hell... :( But I did not have more of the plain ones, eh....

trodas - Very good info, especially about the noise. Funny you mentioned cats as I have two of them and that's the first thing I thought of (well maybe not the first, but it was up there ;) ) when I read this thread. What if I cut the case grill out and install a grill like the one on your blow hole? Would it still be worth the trouble?

Heheh, that was a good one with the cats then. I just remember that someone says that his kitty tried touch the fan and then he see it running away from the computer with great speed :D
But as long as you did not use any Delta screamer fan, running at 6 000 RPM with high rotating weight, you kittens are safe even if they try it. They do it only once, trust me on this :)
(bottom line, maybe they won't touch the Delta at all because of the excessive noise it making when running...)

As for covering the hole with the simple grill like mine and if this is worth question - I say yes, definitively. The loses on this grill are way lower AND the round wires from what it is made are much better noise-wise to the airflow. As for me, I would leave it open anyway, but if there could fall things that can block the fan or you worry about kittens too much, well, add it then :) It can do no harm.
But given my experiences, cats are way smarter that most people seems to think and they don't hurt themselves. You can help them to never fiddle with the fan's also by moving their head close to the back of case with opened fan running. Their facial hairs that they feel and use to determine if they can squeze tru some small hole or not get in the contact with the fan blades and they will learn that lesson (do not mess with fans) well.
But dunno if this is not kind of animal cruelty and must admit I never done it anyway, I use no back case fans and we got a dog now :D

HeavyD said:
I have a full aluminum case, any problems/issues with cutting or drilling this material?

not much, just don't cut your finger off.

and if i ever do it im going to use some 80mm grills, my friend often finds ways of breaking my fans. its annoying as anything. he's broken like 3 fans.

i now have fan grills on fans inside of my case because of him.

Cutting aluminium case is actually way easier that iron one. Of course, care must be taken when working with power tools with sharp edges :)

darkcow -
y friend often finds ways of breaking my fans. its annoying as anything. he's broken like 3 fans

Technical question. How one can broke a fan? :confused:

Call me stupid, but even if you stop the fan, nothing bad happens? (maybe after a long time it can overheat and the coild inside burn, but that would took very long)

i now have fan grills on fans inside of my case because of him

OMG! :D And does it help to reduce the sudden fan's mortality? :D

HeavyD - ah, that is true. If you break something, well sh*t happens all the time, so buy new and bring it here back - that is normal between friends, aren't it? ;)

What about the front intake fan? Is it important to increase airflow there and how could it be done?

Mine has a filter that I have to clean about once a month, is it better to run without the filter?

Finally, how does this (cutting rear grill and/or increasing intake) affect negative/positive pressure and which one do I want?

trodas said:
Technical question. How one can broke a fan? :confused:

Call me stupid, but even if you stop the fan, nothing bad happens? (maybe after a long time it can overheat and the coild inside burn, but that would took very long)
Depending on the fan's speed and how it's stopped it isn't all that difficult to snap one of the blades off--I've done it more than once testing fans before use.

As for the finger guards, the best price and selection I've found are here. Just, stock up on the sizes you'll use or you'll spend more on shipping than on the grills themselves.

Thanks MVC. I wonder if MicroCenter has some grills? I'll have to do some comparison shopping at the Denver store - it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it :)

MVC - hmmm, I'm probably too carefull that it never happened to me - yet. Or maybe I did use only fan's with too tough blades? :shrug:

Anyway, regarding to the http://www.bestbyteinc.com fan grills - did you order from them sometimes? I looking for simple a grills that did not have their end's bend - eg. the whole grill are flat, like this one:
(if the end's is not flat, then the grill is not possible screw to the case this way... I take these from Enermax PSUs, in case you wonder why I looking for them, when I have few of them already... ;) )

trodas said:
MVC - hmmm, I'm probably too carefull that it never happened to me - yet. Or maybe I did use only fan's with too tough blades? :shrug:
Well, I broke a Delta and a Sanyo Denki so I don't think blade quality was the issue. I think it's just a question of if the fan "hits just right" ...

trodas said:
Anyway, regarding to the http://www.bestbyteinc.com fan grills - did you order from them sometimes? I looking for simple a grills that did not have their end's bend - eg. the whole grill are flat, like this one:
(if the end's is not flat, then the grill is not possible screw to the case this way... I take these from Enermax PSUs, in case you wonder why I looking for them, when I have few of them already... ;) )
The ones I got from BestByte were slightly raised on the ends. Mounted, like in your pic, they'd end up being flat (more or less) with the outside of the case.

HeavyD said:
Thanks MVC. I wonder if MicroCenter has some grills? I'll have to do some comparison shopping at the Denver store - it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
Well, here in NYC, I don't think I've seen any type of grill in a store for less than $2.50 and they're usually more, so.... If you only need a few and can find them at a good price locally then that's the way to go. With online retailers the shipping can sometimes be the deal-breaker, and with low cost items like this it's easy for shipping to be several times the cost of the items being bought.

MVC - ugh. And may I ask, what you stuck into the rotating fan, presumably at full speed that this happend? :rolleyes:

About grills, well, I mean this - exactly:
sidewindercomputers_1931_941078

By "slightly raised ends" you mean this?
sidewindercomputers_1930_3805057

Because on the 92mm ones the "slight raise" is way bigger and make the way I like to add them impossible and the result is just plain ughly... :bang head
(let's hope the images works well)

trodas said:
MVC - ugh. And may I ask, what you stuck into the rotating fan, presumably at full speed that this happend? :rolleyes:
Because on the 92mm ones the "slight raise" is way bigger and make the way I like to add them impossible and the result is just plain ughly... :bang head
(let's hope the images works well)
It was the tip of a finger with the Delta (I didn't need any stitches, but I did consider it :eek: ) and the edge of the table with the Sanyo Denki, the fan started sliding and I DID NOT try to catch it--the table survived. And, yes, both fans were at full speed.

Back to the topic ;), the black grill is a 92mm from BestByte. It's probably got more "rise" than you want, but if you put some grommets in the holes (like I've got in the silver 80mm) it would eliminate any vibration noise and drop the grill down a little bit lower....

Attachments

• 2007-01-04 002s.jpg
    2007-01-04 002s.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 158
Back