• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Linking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ace_of_Bacardi

Registered
I am going to have 6 fans in my case of various sizes:

(2) 80mm
(3) 120mm
(1) 200mm

This is my case which will explain the reason for the different sizes. My question is if I dont have enough hookups on my motherboard for all the fans what is the best way to connect the fans together? Like link them so that 2 fans can run off of 1 motherboard connection?

Thanks for all input. :)

Buy a fan controller. You might want to consider the wattage/amperage of your fans, if the are 3 pin voltage controlled. Probably since you have a LOUD older case with 80mm fans.

We can't give you a definitive answer. And probably no, your mobo can't control all those fans.

Need more info. There are fan controllers that will control those fans with no issues. We just reviewed a controller with temp control just TODAY. Maybe read a bit before you post.

Read a bit, learn. Read. Better than waiting for a reply.

My case is in the link above. Right now my CPU is watercooled and currently only have 2 fans running. The whole setup is quiet. I am going to update my profile to show my system specs in my sig just like you did but I just opened this account a short time ago.

I dont really want to use a fan controller as my drivebays are limited and essentially filled. I would just like to be able to turn on my computer and all fans run. Shut the computer off and all fans turn off. (Even though I barely shut my computer off ever.)

Thanks for the reply.

- Ace

P.S. Do you have the link to the fan controller you reviewed in case I decide to go that route?

Thanks, after putting all sarcasm aside, for the link (which might work but it says stuff about watercooling and not just fans) but I guess your just missing what I am trying to accomplish. I just wanted to find a way to link all my fans together so when I turn on the PC they all start up and when I turn off the PC they all turn off, nothing less and nothing more. I dont need to be able to adjust the speeds they spin or direction they spin whatever just on and off. My watercooling is a seperate unit (Thermaltake Bigwater 760is) with only a CPU block. I need the fans to cool my RAM, BRIDGES, ETC.

I did in fact search the internet quite alot before joining this forum and posting here and didnt find the answer/product I need.

I hope others in this forum arent as synical but again thanks for your reply.

Thanks Solder

This is the direction I am going towards or maybe a fan loop linking them together type thing. This is the type of information I was looking for and appreciate the reply!

Nice I might end up going the Molex Adapter Route because I have a 1000 watt Modular PSU and frankly dont use many of the connections on it. I am going to toss both options (Splitter and Adapter) in my head for awhile and see what works best with my hardware.

Essentially you gave me two very GREAT and FEASIBLE options. Thank You!

Hey ACE, I'm temporarily using a simple molex adapter to run 2 of my fans. They come on/off with the system since the PSU turns on/off with the system. The sucky part is they run at 100% no matter what. If I was going to use this long term I'd add a resistor or a variable resistor to make it a bit more user friendly. Also, mine has a toggle switch and I only use it for when I'm trying to see how fast my CPU can go.

Cool, yeah thats all I would need is the fans to run when the computer is on and have them turn off when the computer is off, nothing fancy so it sounds about like what you got going on. Im gonna post all my computer specs and pictures when I get it all put together again (I had it in a full tower case that is now my server case)

Thanks for the reply! :)

Project Typhoon Info

Thank You Bassnut and others. You can keep up with Project Typhoon HERE for anyone interested.

** Conumdrum: Even your grouchy post help me too! Follow my Project :)

Conumdrum has a point, the pic is blurry and hard to make out.:confused: I'd like to see what you got going, could you post new pics? Here and not through a link would be even better.:D

I wasnt aware that posting pictures into the actual forum was allowed, thought they had to all be from links.

- Side Note: My Graphics Card took a **** again so using a cheaper one I had lying around while I RMA my broken one (for the second time) but gotta love Lifetime Warranty.

Back