• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan overvolt warning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cyberey66 said:
And I think the reason the fan could of died is not so much the 24v, but the fact that I was using an AT power supply and I know they are fickle at times. I know on mine when ever I turn it on and off, all the fans on it spin really fast for a sec. I think it shoots a stronger current or something to that effect at times. I know when the 12 and 5v lines aren't in use while the supply is on, it doesn't work, but I did have 12 and 5v lines in use. Any enlightenment or linkage on AT supplies is appreciated,

Most "12V" fans I've seen, are spec'd with a Max Voltage of 15V. When you connected the fan to 24V you probably put 2.56 times its Max rated power into it. (Power goes up with the square of the voltage.)

How long did you run your 80mm case fan on 24V. Not long I'll bet. I'd be amazed if it would last a week at 24V.

Whether or not your AT supply is "fickle" or not, a 12V fan is not going to last long running at 24V.

Back