• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan replacement time - recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killerbyte1985

So I have two systems; my gaming rig and my media server.

My gaming rig is uses a Silverstone Fortress 3 which is a micro ATX chassis with limited airflow. I have a Corsair H80i with two Noctua NH-F12 PWM fans in a push pull configuration. The chassis itself uses a single 120mm silverstone fan to move what limited air there is around.

I want to replace the internal fan with a high airflow fan but would like it to be as quiet as possible.

My media server uses a CM Cosmos SE. That chassis has two 120mm fans in the front, and one at the rear. There is a Corsair H100 cooling the processor which uses the two 120mm fans that came with it. These fans are very noisy, and right now my server is the loudest thing in my room and the temps are not what I want (45-50 on an AMD A10-5800K)

So here is the shopping list:
4 Static Pressure fans for the Cosmos (2 for the rad, 2 for the front due to the HDDs)
2 High airflow fans (one for the Cosmos rear and one for the gaming rig).

Any recommendations for fans available locally and those which have to be imported. I was thinking of some more Noctua NF-F12 PWMs for the static pressure roles or if I can find a store that will ship to South Africa maybe some EKWB Vardar fans.

Noctua makes great fans so if they are easy to get I would get them. Sounds like getting other choices may not be worth the hassle for a marginal at best improvement.

Last edited:
From what I've read the Fortress three has the option to mount up to 3 120mm fans, if you only have one now I would just add two more.

As far as the static pressure fans I have a set of Bitfenix Spectre Pwm fans that I really like on my radiators. They have pretty good static pressure, not the best, and are quiet.

I also have Switch Helix fans that have really good static pressure and are also quiet.

If you want arguably the best fans for radiators get some GentleTyphoon fans

I just installed two Cooler Master Jetflo 120 fans (red LED) on my CPU cooling radiator. They are pretty awesome. At "no noise" RPM, they move what most fans do at high RPM (about 75 CFM). At full speed, they move over 95 CFM (but are a bit loud...not annoying for me and my case sits at my feet). The static pressure is awesome on these too.

When I replaced the stock fans on my radiator with these, I saw a 10 C temperature drop on the CPU with the Intel Extreme testing utility.

Great fans...and they look cool too!

The NoiseBlocker eLoop deserves some consideration for high static/low noise applications.

From what I've read the Fortress three has the option to mount up to 3 120mm fans, if you only have one now I would just add two more.

As far as the static pressure fans I have a set of Bitfenix Spectre Pwm fans that I really like on my radiators. They have pretty good static pressure, not the best, and are quiet.

I also have Switch Helix fans that have really good static pressure and are also quiet.

If you want arguably the best fans for radiators get some GentleTyphoon fans

+1

The NoiseBlocker eLoop deserves some consideration for high static/low noise applications.

+1

I concur with these two gentlemen.

Top premium rad fans : eloop B12s, Vandars and AP-53s.

Budget rad fans - Helix 120s

As for case fans in general, it won't matter much even if you want to get the LED types that fit your theme but rad fans I take serious. :D That's also not accounting those that just want a complete silent build where you purchase ALL the same premium rad fans for the rads and case. That also works as well but can be quite pricey.

Back