• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan setup advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lenix

Hello,

Since I got the 1080Ti FTW3 which is an open-air card my case temps raised significantly (compared to the old blower-style card).

My case is Thermaltake Armor Revo and my current setup is

cooling1.jpg

(intake) 200mm case fan. Location:*1* (front)
(intake) 200mm case fan. Location:*4* (side)
(intake) 140mm Noctua NF-A14. Location:*between cpu heatsink towers (which is an old IFX-14)* (middle)

(exhaust) 200mm phanteks fan. Location:*2* (top)
(exhaust) 140mm turbo case fan. Location:*3* (rear)

Whenever I game i can feel hot air from the top exhaust mostly.

Is the current setup good? Should I add a new intake fan in position *5* (bottom)? Should I re-position any fan? For example should I put Noctua to the rear instead of cpu heatsink?

Thanks

Last edited:
Your current setup is correct to give good ventilation and minimum dust. If you need more ventilation you would need to install more powerful (and noisier) fans. Better ventilation happens when exhaust is stronger than intake but it brings in more dust.

Question: are the fan positions (like #4 for example) cut completely out or do you have the fan mounted on that perforated stuff? Another question: do you have one or two fans in the top? How much air (CFM) do these fans move? I like the idea of adding another intake if possible, especially if you have two exhaust fans in the top.

i would say yes to adding a fan to #5 but you really arent going to see a big improvement being that your already set up to aircool that card/cpu as well as you can considering your case and components. i would start working on improving your fan curve now which will depend of course on your tolerance for noise vs temps. honestly you should watercool one of the two or both imo. your gpu is dumping alot of heat directly into your cpu. if you watercooled your gpu it would alleviate that immensely. if you wced both you would be golden temp wise.

Lenix, what kind of temps are we talking here?

Please list your CPU, GPU, and case temps. Just because you have warm air coming out of the case doesn't necessarily indicate that the temps are too high, just higher than you prefer, right?

Lenix, what kind of temps are we talking here?

Please list your CPU, GPU, and case temps. Just because you have warm air coming out of the case doesn't necessarily indicate that the temps are too high, just higher than you prefer, right?

Blay is exactly right. We need more info before any assessment can be made.

Back