• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Shroud, does it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluezero5

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter, Fourth Quarter 2012
I am on my quest to improve my radiation, which has a push -> pull fan config.

I heard adding a Shroud on the exit is an efficient way of improving air drawn.

any experts there with experience in this area?

I'd trust this guy, his reputation is good:

Shroud benefits are very much radiator specific. While the MCR120 shows only very minor benefits in pull condition which are nearly immeasurable, the RS120 shows very dramatic benefits of 1C in pull condition. My first round of shroud testing only tested on one radiator with two fans and found gains on both. That test appears to still be good, however this round in testing a different radiator it has become clear that the benefits can not be generalized across all radiators and that shrouds on some radiators in the right conditions can even hurt performance. The MCR120 was generally a better performer in push condition without shrouds.

About the only generalization is that push/pull is still your best bet if cost is not a problem and that will hold true for all radiators.

Bottom line:

Shroud benefits are Radiator Specific!!!

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/01/15/radiator-shroud-testing-v2/7/

What exactly is your radiator?
If you are using an H80, it isn't worth the time or effort.

If using a 3x120mm radiator or such, it might be, but only if you had a shroud on the in AND out side. It helps focus airflow and eliminate the deadspot from the motor hub. Regardless, the end result will be 1-3c.

Search "Silverstone Air Penetrator test" or similar on Youtube to see the kind of flow that comes out of normal 120mm fans. (I wouldn't insist on buying the Air Penetrators though!)

thanks guys, that's helpful.

I guess best is just to replace the fans with 38mm for better flow on the push->pull.
When I have my results, I will post here.

Back