• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danomite664

Ok, right now i have a blue cold cathode and a blue fan with LED's. The only problem is that at night, they are way too bright. I dont want to put in a fanbus cause those still ahve leds on the front which would sorta defeat the purpose. So what i am wondering is if there is an easy way to hook those up to a power switch (prefereably on the back) so i can turn just those off at night. Also, i know absolutely nothing about wiring and how to do a custom switch, so you'll have to dumb it down for me.

As far as your cathode goes most of them come with a toggle swith. If not just purchase something from radioshack or online and run it between the 12v line coming from the molex to the little transformer thing. That should fix that. I have mine connected to a rheo to dim them when not needed. Simply drill a hole in the back of your case to accomidate the switch.
The fan can be a problem. The LED's are usually wired to run off the 12v line from the molex with a resistor built into the fan.
Look to see if your fan has a seperate 5v line from the molex that runs the LED's/ If so simply put a switch between the 5v line and the fan. If not then turning the led's off could be more complicated. Im not even sure where to begin. Perhaps someone here has tinkered with LED fans and could give the answer your looking for.

my cathode has a switch, but it wont turn it off. its a sound sensitive one, so the button only changes it from "on" to "sound activated" but there is no off. Second, i dont care if turning off the stuff also turns off the fan. I have enough case fans that turning that one off at night (especially when i wont be using it) isnt going to damage my computer at all.

for the cathode you need to locate the wire that takes power from the psu to the cathodes transformer thing. one end will plug into the transformer and one end will plug into a molex connector from your psu. all you need to do is to cut the yellow 12v power wire and put a switch in where you have cut.

i dont relly know about the fan. i dont know a way to turn the fans leds off whirlst still having the fan running. athough you could turn the fan off alltogether by using the same methord as the cathode. only this time you must put a switch in the red wire not the yellow(if it has a yellow)

Back