• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan too good to be true?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
...it has an audible motor noise

Really? Well that is no good. I plan on using a rheobus eventually, so that would not work out. The only sound that I would be comfortable hearing would probably be the air moving, not the fan motor.

I had 3 of Scythes SFF21F's (The fastest ones) and I found their sound very acceptable. They were definitely quite; not obtrusive at all. I didn't have any motor noise on mine though. The only noise I was able to hear was the noise of rushing air. When I held then in the air by themselves you couldn't hear anything unless your ear was within like 6-12"
I thought they were awesome.

nd4spdbh2 said:
scythe... ehhh i have one of their 800rpm models and it has an audible motor noise... not a fan chopping through air noise... cus 800rpms is very slow but i think it could possibly be a bearing noise of some kind... sorta like a scratching a very light constant scratch.... where as the yate loons have NO motor noise and undervolt like a freakin charm... yate loons FTW!

My experience says otherwise. I have two Scythe S-Flex F fans and they are as quiet as if not quieter than the Yate Loon fans. They are great fans. Now the Yate Loons are a lot cheaper so you get better bang for your buck.

I definately wouldn't want a fan over 40dB. Wikipedia has a chart for different decibel levels, and it's pretty accurate IMO. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel#Acoustics
194 Theoretical limit for a sound wave at 1 atmosphere environmental pressure; pressure waves with a greater intensity behave as shock waves.
180 Krakatoa volcano explosion at 1 mile in air [1]
160 M1 Garand being fired at 1 meter (3 ft)
150 Jet engine at 30 m (100 ft)
140 Low Caliber Rifle being fired at 1m (3 ft); the engine of a Formula One car at 1 meter (3 ft)
130 Threshold of pain; civil defense siren at 100 ft (30 m)
120 Train horn at 1 m (3 ft). Perforation of eardrums.
110 Football stadium during kickoff at 50 yard line at 5 m (16 ft) ; chainsaw at 1 m (3 ft)
100 Jackhammer at 2 m (7 ft); inside disco
90 Loud factory, heavy truck at 1 m (3 ft)
80 Vacuum cleaner at 1 m (3 ft), curbside of busy street, PLVI of City
70 Busy traffic at 5 m (16 ft)
60 Office or restaurant inside
50 Quiet restaurant inside
40 Residential area at night
30 Theatre, no talking
20 Whispering
10 Human breathing at 3 m (10 ft)
0 Threshold of human hearing (with healthy ears); sound of a mosquito flying 3 m (10 ft) away

Back