• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan with ""inlets"" on the side? :-/ 53CFM and 24 dba? :-/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

I was going to pick up some UV cold cathodes at SVC.com and figured I might as well pick up some cooling stuff while at it. I came across these $1.99 "Unincom multi-directional intake silent fan(s)."

http://www.svc.com/u8025.html

First off, these have slits or holes on the sides to intake from there as well. Why would I want to intake hot case air and just blow it right around inside the case?

Also, don't fans push air against the sides? The Zalman heatsinks and many video card heatsink fans rely on this, the fan pushes air away from the blades to the sides. This has got to have insanely crappy static pressure, you add any resistance to it at all and it would flow out the sides.

Yet, it states those specs: 8.658 mm-H2O

My TT SF2 has closed sides and spins at almost 5000RPM and it doesn't even do that! 8.658 is more like Vantec Tornado range!

It also says this: 1,800 ~ 3,800 R.P.M.

That is one helluva RPM range, it doesn't have temp sensing or a controller or anything.

I wonder, why would a place like SVC even sell something like this? It sounds like a scam almost to me, a worthless peice of plastic. If it really was that great it wouldn't be 1.99.

Would anyone know of any fans that put out a good amount of airflow for their noise and are real nice and cheap?

I am thinking of either this $2.99 Panaflo: http://www.svc.com/fba08a12m.html

or this $2.99 Sunon: http://www.svc.com/kd1208pts2-4-86.html

Only problem is, I didn't think Panaflo's came with the connector, I thought they had bare wire leads.

One last thing, my thermal compound is OCZ Ultra 2, not the best. I was thinking of getting something better since my tube is almost all out, is AS5 still pretty much the best you can get?

Thanks a bunch!
-0cer
:cool:

EDIT: Nevermind, it does come with just bare wire leads. Maybe I will just get the Sunon instead, they seem to have similar CFM to noise, just the Sunon being a little bit faster and louder.

Im gonna take a shot in the dark on this but here it goes. The idea was to give the blades as much air to push, and the slits on the side might act like a vacuum for airflow. Im thinking along the lines of "the shower curtain effect" with pressure and vacuum.

"Initially I was reluctant to tackle the problem with so many other world crises clamoring for my attention. But eventually I allowed that the phenomenon could be attributed to the Bernoulli effect, the well-known principle that explains how airplanes fly: as the velocity of a fluid increases, its lateral pressure decreases. The water flowing out of the shower nozzle entrains the surrounding air, and the resulting decrease of pressure perpendicular to the direction of flow ( following this, are we?) pulls the shower curtain in. "

Got the quote from http://www.straightdope.com/classics/010810.html

so there is a vacuum where the blades rotate, and thus a lower pressure. Obviously the air will want to flow in there to keep a constant.

Next with the hot air. That I have no idea for. Im guessing that these would best be used for intake fans in the case. That way, you would have fresh air coming in, and the hot air would be mixing with it... thus cooling it down. If you were using it for exhaust, it wouldn't help much... Or would it? Im now thinking that it would pull more hot air out, since its getting air from all sides and the back, unlike regular fans that just pull it straight from the back.

Does this help?

oh yeah, and if you want good fans, i have some fans that run at about 7500 rpms, and sound like a whistle when running. but thats little compared to the
100 or so 120 (maybe larger) fans running in each of our CASS benches. 5 CASS benches = 400 fans roughly. Thank god for the navy and its ability to make us all deaf. :eh?:

I'm going to take a shot in the dark too. at $1.99, you get what you pay for.

And they do sell Panaflos with 3pin

Actually, that fan is exactly the same fan you find inside the iMac 2. Infact, I owe you one because my dad has been looking for something like that for a while. Thanks!

Fronic said:
Actually, that fan is exactly the same fan you find inside the iMac 2. Infact, I owe you one because my dad has been looking for something like that for a while. Thanks!
Interesting. At $1.99 it wouldn't hurt to give one a try. I figure if the side inlet thing doesn't work out so well I could always just tape up the sides.

I might try one and see how it performs, if not I might just go with the Panaflo or Sunon. Thanks for the replies everyone!

@md0Cer said:
Interesting. At $1.99 it wouldn't hurt to give one a try. I figure if the side inlet thing doesn't work out so well I could always just tape up the sides.

I might try one and see how it performs, if not I might just go with the Panaflo or Sunon. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Hell for $2.00 even I would give it a shot just to check it out.

I have one of those fans, they actually more quite a bit of air & sound isn't to nasty, the ball bearings are a different story though, after a good while of wear and tear like any fan, they get bad, but these ones get hardcore bad (just noisy). It does move some air out towards the sides but not nearly as much as it pushes through it normally. Good fan for the money.

Meh, why not? I'll try one.

Oh yea, and AS5 is still pretty much the best TIM you can get right? I need a good TIM considering my core puts out 130 thermal watts and has less surface area than a finger nail to contact the heatsink with. So far from what I have searched it seems people are still recomending Ceramique or AS5. (I never really have any problems with electrical conductivity nor do I really get it all over the place, so AS5 should be fine) I just need a high end TIM that isn't too expensive.

@md0Cer said:
Meh, why not? I'll try one.

Oh yea, and AS5 is still pretty much the best TIM you can get right? I need a good TIM considering my core puts out 130 thermal watts and has less surface area than a finger nail to contact the heatsink with. So far from what I have searched it seems people are still recomending Ceramique or AS5. (I never really have any problems with electrical conductivity nor do I really get it all over the place, so AS5 should be fine) I just need a high end TIM that isn't too expensive.

get AS5. Ceramique is more for videocard saftey.

btw, i ordered a couple of these a few months ago, they look really sweet under uv lights, and they move a decent amount of air.

Aidenswarrior said:
get AS5. Ceramique is more for videocard saftey.

btw, i ordered a couple of these a few months ago, they look really sweet under uv lights, and they move a decent amount of air.

Sweet! Good thing because I was just like "screw it" and placed my order. :D

I got 2 Super Bright UV 12inch CC's, 1 3.5gram tube of AS5, and 1 of those fans. :D Not too bad for 20 bucks shipped. :D

The slits in the side help quite a bit. i have a couple of TT "Silent cats" and they are pretty quiet.... but i also did a test with a normal stock 80mm fan... I listened to it with the housing and everything intact... then took a hacksaw to the housing , to make it to where all of the fan blades are exposed to direct air... that thing pushes sooo much more air and is considerably quieter than stock.

sounds like it would be a good exhaust fan as it will be able to pull in more (hot) air, and the resistance of an exhaust fan is what? anything?

The first post is correct in point out that the slits reduce static pressure. The whole point of having a solid casing is to contain and control as much of the blade output as possible. The "optimal" setup in-turn creates ALOT of turbulence . The noise output from any given fan comes in three parts: Motor /Mechanical Noise, Blade tips (and their resulting interaction with the casing), and the turbulence of the output.
Strida said:
I don't know. They might be good fans, but the side slits just look like a silly gimmick to me.
They're not, but these are not the best fans ever due to the quality of their internal parts and their blade design.

Try this: duct only the outlet side of a fan and move your hand around the edges of the fan casing. On most fans you can feel a small amount of reversed airflow, which is the result of laminar flow from the blades bleeding off into the gap between the blade and the duct. This laminar flow creates alot of turblence and adds noise to the fan. Allowing it to escape from the sides may hurt over-all axial fan output levels but will reduce noise levels.

Last edited:
gvblake22 said:
Let us know when you get that fan and what you think of it @md0Cer :)

I got it yesterday and here are my thoughts:

1.) It looks damn nice under UV lighting. Also, one of my PSU wires lights up like the Vegas Strip too which looks pretty neat.

2.) Even with slits cut in the sides this fan feels nice and beefy, it feels like a pretty nice fan, unlike my cheapo other fans that feel you can break em in your hands.

3.) I am kinda disappointed that it doesn't have an outlet power connector to feed into other fans, but I am using it on the bottom of my PSU and was lucky enough to find a motherboard plug right up there. It has 3 pin or 4 pin.

4.) I honestly really can't rate this fan because it is quieter than anything else in my system, so I have no clue as to the amount of noise it puts out, but it does not spin very fast at all, its air output is kinda miserable.

5.) The side slits do actually intake some air when it is able to free flow, but if I put my hand over it and cover up half of the outlet, it just blows out the side slits.

6.) Because the side slits serve some intake purpose I decided to mount this OUTSIDE my PSU blowing in. Static pressure for this task doesn't seem necessary because there is a fan on the backside of the PSU exhausting, and there are no PSU parts right up near the inlet to restrict flow. I do have this paper made duct that intakes from both of the "exhaust" fan spots in my case, and unfortunatly this pushes right up against the forward part of the intake to this fan. This is where the side slits I believe come in handy, is when part of the INTAKE of the fan is covered up. So, I took a little strip of toilet paper and waved it by there, and it is intaking through the side slits and the half of the fan that isn't covered up closest to the motherboard. This is nice because that is exactly where hot air out of my heatsink builds up.

I guess these sideslits are a disadvantage to static pressure, but you can also use them to your advantage like in my case. If you restrict exhaust, the air will have nowhere to go but the side slits. If you restrict the intake, like in my case, the air will have nowhere to ENTER the fan but the sideslits.

Overall, not a bad fan for 1.99 IMO. It certainly looks cool. I just wish it had a little more oomph, maybe another 1500RPM, then it would be on par with my other fans and I still wouldn't notice any noise.

I wish I could slightly overvolt some of my fans. Most of them are designed to take up to I think 13 volts just as a little bit of freeplay, just like CPU's can take more voltage within the specs.

@md0Cer said:
I got it yesterday and here are my thoughts:

1.) It looks damn nice under UV lighting. Also, one of my PSU wires lights up like the Vegas Strip too which looks pretty neat.

2.) Even with slits cut in the sides this fan feels nice and beefy, it feels like a pretty nice fan, unlike my cheapo other fans that feel you can break em in your hands.

3.) I am kinda disappointed that it doesn't have an outlet power connector to feed into other fans, but I am using it on the bottom of my PSU and was lucky enough to find a motherboard plug right up there. It has 3 pin or 4 pin.

4.) I honestly really can't rate this fan because it is quieter than anything else in my system, so I have no clue as to the amount of noise it puts out, but it does not spin very fast at all, its air output is kinda miserable.

5.) The side slits do actually intake some air when it is able to free flow, but if I put my hand over it and cover up half of the outlet, it just blows out the side slits.

6.) Because the side slits serve some intake purpose I decided to mount this OUTSIDE my PSU blowing in. Static pressure for this task doesn't seem necessary because there is a fan on the backside of the PSU exhausting, and there are no PSU parts right up near the inlet to restrict flow. I do have this paper made duct that intakes from both of the "exhaust" fan spots in my case, and unfortunatly this pushes right up against the forward part of the intake to this fan. This is where the side slits I believe come in handy, is when part of the INTAKE of the fan is covered up. So, I took a little strip of toilet paper and waved it by there, and it is intaking through the side slits and the half of the fan that isn't covered up closest to the motherboard. This is nice because that is exactly where hot air out of my heatsink builds up.

I guess these sideslits are a disadvantage to static pressure, but you can also use them to your advantage like in my case. If you restrict exhaust, the air will have nowhere to go but the side slits. If you restrict the intake, like in my case, the air will have nowhere to ENTER the fan but the sideslits.

Overall, not a bad fan for 1.99 IMO. It certainly looks cool. I just wish it had a little more oomph, maybe another 1500RPM, then it would be on par with my other fans and I still wouldn't notice any noise.

I wish I could slightly overvolt some of my fans. Most of them are designed to take up to I think 13 volts just as a little bit of freeplay, just like CPU's can take more voltage within the specs.

Here is a picture of that CPU duct thing that I was saying blocks part of the fan. This is a really old picture though. The new fan is on the outside of the PSU, so it is up against that paper and masking tape duct, but the duct doesn't cover up the whole fan, the backside by the motherboard can still suck air in, and it sorta sucks through the inlets.

IM000916.jpg

Back