• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fanless Card + AS5 + 80mm fan + rubber bands = win

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mystfied

Boredom strikes.
Idea: Why not stick a fan onto my wonderful MSI Radeon x300se 128MB GDDR2 (+HyperMemory 128MB from system)?
(Personally, I think MSI could have made a better heatsink, with less vanity... but anyways...

Step 1: Use pliers to pop the heatsink retention springy plastic things, from the back.

Step 2: Remove pink sticky gunk a.k.a. "thermal compound." Credit card scrapes it all off.

Step 3: Arctic Silver 5 on zi core.

Step 4: Lap the heatsink (it's aluminum inside... who would have thought)

Step 5: Put heatsink back on.

Step 6: Attach Masscool 80mm blue fan to heatsink with two rubber bands.

Step 7: Reconnect, power up, and overclock more! Max core with ATITool went up by only like 20MHz from the loud PCI-air-sucker from CompUSA... but the card looks supercool now.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Anyway, if anybody has a heatsink-only card and wants to overclock safely... :)
Get your friends to chip in for 9+ fans. $3.48/ea shipped.

Last edited:
Those rubber bands better be pretty strong, lol. Maybe you might want to use zip ties too, probably use two combined.

LOL, very ghetto, but I've done them too! If you get a higher OC, who cares what it looks like IMO. You should see some holes I've cut in my case :p

Back