• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case fan cooling not enough for video playback and causes shutdown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
still thing you should make that air duct just to make your GPU all happy and stuff

I'm thinking about it. What I'm looking for is a really quiet fan, which may translate into less airflow. Though, eventually I'd like to have an all solid-state PC (no moving parts). So I far I've "phased out" the spinning HDD with the SSD and use a passive GPU (though I'd upgrade to a new video card with fans if it's a good deal). Later I might get a passive CPU heatsink. I might find a quieter fan as the ones I have are kinda loud, even with one of them.

My PSU is quiet enough, but this is interesting (just heard about it) I'm not sure if I'll ever need it, but cool:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Seasonic_X-400_Fanless_PSU

i dislike any and all passive cooling, it simply cant keep up with the newer stuff.

Having a 'passive' system is nice, but wouldn't having a near-silent system be better? A very very weak hum won't kill you. Get some nice quiet Noctua/Scythe (Specifically Gentle Typhoon) fans for your case/CPU. My Antec P180 mini (before I changed it to push/pull, and added extra fans, was near dead silent with only the PSU fan, Thermalrights Fan on the True, and the back/top exhuast on low. The only thing really audible was the GPU fan. I also second the notion of being against a passively cooled machine, even one that's lower-end. A couple nice quiet decent airflow fans make a world of difference (20-30 degrees in some cases, or more).

the biggest flaw in passive cooling is teh fact that stagnant air is one of the best insulators around

Agreed, I'm starting to weigh the benefits of a low humming fan, and would probably go with that. The only fans that bother me are the two case fans, which were the cheapest ones I could find, and happen to be really loud. But my Seasonic PSU and Cooler Master CPU fans are very quiet and noticing this I'd probably replace the case fans with something that low. So my thoughts for passive cooling are outweighed by the thought that I don't want stagnant air now that I think about it more. Thanks!

hrmm maybe look into a ionic air blower, you might be able to make one for about $100, it would be 100% silent and produce a very steady airflow that is slightly ionized

Back