• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans stay on when shutdown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im glad installing Win 7 fixed the issue for you. However, I'm having the same trouble, with the same board (ASrock Z77 Ext4) running Win7 x64. I built this machine for my bro-in-law, so I guess I'm going to have him rma it. :(

Well I returned the board and the psu before I did windows 7 and neither of them fixed the problem.

Before going through the trouble of rma might as well try the $15 upgrade to windows 8, I somehow doubt that'll fix it but for a few minutes of your time and $15 it's worth a shot

just as an additional to this. the issue isnt just limited to windows. i've been pulling my hair out this weekend with the same problem on my file server running linux mint 14 on some fairly old hardware.

amd sempron 2800+
asus k8n4e deluxe socket 754 mobo

eventually figured out that (in my case at least) the fault causing the fans to stay active was caused by having a tp-link gigabit pci-e 1x lan adaptor plugged into any of the mobos 3 1x pci-e ports. i didn't bother to trace whether the issue was cause by the mobo or the lan card but i use several other tp-link adaptors in other machines without issue so i'm inclined to blame the mobo (which i ripped out and used a lga755 instead).

i can only assume that the issue is specifically hardware related and is nothing to do with whichever operating system is installed (ok, shoot me if i'm wrong :D).

Last edited:
Had the same problem when i recently connected two 80mm fans directly to the psu as all my fan headers were full. When i shut down my rig every fan stayed on and the power button did not work. When i unplugged the two fans the problem went away. When trying to ID a problem start with the basics for the pc to run (psu, MB, cpu heat sink with fan). Attach one thing at at time and see where the problem lies ;)

Back