• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Farcry PS3.0 test from nVidia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

micamica1217

some quotes from B3D....
full read here...LOOK.

from pocketmoon66,
""quick brain dump from the Nvidia dev conference in London on Monday/Tuesday (nothing under NDA...)

Both VS3 and PS3 paths have been added to Fry Cry.

In general, gains from using Geometry Instancing usually between 0 and 10%, though up to 40% in worst (best!) case.

Devs wanted to use PS3 to loop through dynamic number of lights in a single pass but PS3 has limitations (in specs) which prevent this from being implementable. So use static branching for up to 4 lights per pass. This created more instructions than ps2 could handle so need ps3.

Gains are good - in game fps went from 20 to 30 in demo.

HDR - Did not require PS3 but requires 16bit blending and filtering. Devs replaced 'hacks' ( glare/flare etc) with HDR. No AA when using HDR. on 6800U playable (40-50fps) @1024x768.

Very Nice effect

Other Stuff

Nice demo of soft shadows (penumbra's) with PS3.0. Basically do a a small number of shadow sampler tests. If all 0 then you'r out of shadow, if all 1 your in shadow otherwise you are in the penumbra so do 64 samples to get your shadow level.

Works well because the expensive sampling needed is only done if youre initial small sample set is not wholly in or wholly out of shadow. 2xfaster than equivalent PS2 shader (not shown)

Unreal Engine 3 look stunning. Tools where very clever (graphical shader creation tool for artists). Tim S excited about 6800 SLI Target dx9 as minimum spec with release date 2006, blah, blah.

Same flame eating, fire breathing, power tool sparking entertaiment as for the NV30 launch ?!""

from pocketmoon66,
""
"Cali3350 wrote:
Any 1.2 release date revealed? "

Didn't Ask But they had a bug where the screen would flash black for a few moments. So don't hold your breath.

All in all the far cry devs where very open and honest. Where they though PS3 was not usefull they said so

The 0-20% gain they got using Geometry Instansing is taken up by pushing the sprite/mesh object boundary further out - so objects get rendered as sprites when at a certain distance but on NV40 they can push this distance out which they said looks nicer.

The images looked so good with HDR that even without AA and at low res it was very cool ""

--
ATI fans will know this guy....
--

from Humus,
""
"pocketmoon66 wrote:
Nice demo of soft shadows (penumbra's) with PS3.0. Basically do a a small number of shadow sampler tests. If all 0 then you'r out of shadow, if all 1 your in shadow otherwise you are in the penumbra so do 64 samples to get your shadow level. "

Works well because the expensive sampling needed is only done if youre initial small sample set is not wholly in or wholly out of shadow. 2xfaster than equivalent PS2 shader (not shown)

Unfortunately for nVidia, I have developed a technique at work that will work as a drop-in replacement of dynamic branching that works in the most important situations where you'd otherwise need or prefer ps3.0. You'll probably have to resort to very esoteric effects to really require ps3.0. The effect you mention sounds like a perfect example where this technique would work equally well (or maybe even better) than using dynamic branching, depending on how much the cost of dynamic branches are.
Another typical example is the "early-out" kind of optimization where you for instance detect that the pixel is backfacing the light or is outside the light radius and just return zero instead of going through the all the lighting computations. I have implemented this for a typical "Humus-demo" scene with four lights. With early-out enabled I get 45fps. Without it's 14fps. That's more than 3x performance improvement. If you prefer to dwell in the darkness, the difference is 136fps vs. 25fps. I'm not even sure nVidia's will be able to match that performance increase with ps3.0. ""

***added bonus that is not related to this***
(cool 3Dc demo located here....LOOK. )

I just thought you boys that are looking into the new cards would like to see this... ;)

mica

edit: could a mod move this to the vid and sound section, this realy isn't an ATI only thread.
(and I seem to have posted this in the wrong section...thanks in advance)

Last edited:
:eek: Some of that stuff is pretty damn impressive technology.

The next gen of games it's going to be insane.

And to think, who knew farcry would become such a benchmark of videocard abilities.. :)

Thanks Mica

Back