• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Farm building: What's it going to take me to hit 2kPPD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What to build is a tough question because who knows what protiens are going to be available or what will be done to the point system that many have become unhappy with.
Personally, I think we'll see more and more bigpacket WUs. The p148x series will see more and more complex simulations with bandwidth requirements exceeding that of current QMDs. This bodes well for the A64 architecture and Dothan architecture (provided the bandwidth requirement doesn't get too high. However I think the current bonus structure is in trouble. I can't see p13xx, and p114x (600 pointers) keeping their 100% bonus. QMDs will remain a small percentage of the available WUs. The computation is so complex that current 450 point simulations are run on the simplest of protiens and the water around them. I don't think much more complex simulations can be done on current PC hardware, limiting QMD cores use. There may however, always be some.

Now what the heck was the question?

Oh. folding farms.
You want it to last, use very little power and provide great ppd.

Silver's work with the Celeron D proved they can fold QMDs at a good clip, 128ppd/GHz, running on a 200 MHz FSB. A 2.26 would have to OC to 3.4 to get there and you'd make 435ppd/layer as long as the QMDs hold out. Getting the FSB up is crucial and production doesn't scale linearly. Celerons on less than an 700 MHz FSB produce around 95 ppd/GHz on QMDs. 3 layers = 1300ppd which should put you over 2000 ppd with the X2. Celerons Ds are not the way to go unless you plan to massively OC them.

I don't think Socket A is the way to go since it has relatively limited bandwidth. On p147x an XP-M (200MHZ FSB) produces 125 ppd/GHz, A64s with 1 MB caches produce over 200ppd/GHz. With the WUs headed toward greater complexity and thus, probably, greater bandwidth requirements I think A Socket A layer will get old too soon. But Almost every XP-M gets to 2.4 GHz which gets production on the average big WU to 266 ppd. It would take 5 layers to get to 2000 ppd with your X2. Run out of big WUs and it'll take a lot more. Production on regular Gromacs is around 55ppd/GHz.

With the Dothan and a steady diet of p1477 it would take just over 1 so we have to call it two. The Dothan is magic on p147x and p148x. You should shoot for maximum bandwidth in any Dothan approach you choose. The whole stink about QMDs started with a beta WU that used more than the bandwidth available on a X2 when folding two instances. Caveat here is if p147x and 148x run out, at 155ppd/GHz and 2.8 GHz production is 434 ppd per layer. If the project suddenly went to nothing but the Tinker core, you'd be screwed as the Dothans suck at Tinkers. QMDs will be coming to the Dothan but I don't expect them to be great QMD folders.

P4 6xx layers would be expensive, but overclocked, you'd only need two folding QMDs. The 6xx series actually makes more ppd on p147x and 148x than they do on QMDs. @ 3.6 GHz each layer would produce around 560ppd on QMDs and 600 on p147x.

If I were to build a rig today, or a farm, I'd gamble on the Dothan set up using a 740 or 750 on a 200MHz FSB (800 effective) using the ASUS adapter.

As I said earlier, a change to the points system or the available WUs could devalue your investment.

Last edited:
overdoze said:
What about dual core pentium 4 ? If you don't care about heat and power consumptions and just wanted great PPD spending less $ on a dual core pentium may be the way to go as it also produce 900PPD+ folding QMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116213

The best I've seen a dual core do on QMD was 685ppd on an 840 EE. They don't have enough bandwidth to do any better.

What about hedging your bets.

Get a Dothan setup, a P4-5xx or 6xx setup and maybe a cheap Socket A one too. That way, even if the mix of WUs change you dont get hit too hard.

ChasR said:
The best I've seen a dual core do on QMD was 685ppd on an 840 EE. They don't have enough bandwidth to do any better.
Yeah I have that problem with my dual Xeons. Each Xeon is equal to a P4. However since they share the memory bus, memory intensive apps like QMDs won't go much faster. Both Xeons @ 3.3GHz produce 24 minute frame rates for a combined rate of 12 minutes per frame. The P4c processor @ 3GHz has a frame rate of 15 minutes. So you see the increase could be explained by the 10% higher processor core speed of the Xeons. Net gain is practically zero. One Xeon has a frame rate of 15 minutes by itself even with an extra 300MHz advantage over the P4c.

Until Stanford gets a true SMP client, dual anything won't add much except extra expenditures. With the memory bandwith limits, even SMP won't get you much with QMDs.
David said:
What about hedging your bets.

Get a Dothan setup, a P4-5xx or 6xx setup and maybe a cheap Socket A one too. That way, even if the mix of WUs change you dont get hit too hard.
I think the days for socket A are passing but I could build two and half Barton rigs for the price of one cheap Dothan. But the Dothan would pwn them and use half the power as long as WUs like the QMDs are still available. My XP3200 Barton does a faily good job when it gets the right work units. Right now it's folding an 84 point DG. No SSE2 so why did it get it? :rolleyes:

The X2 will be an awesome machine but an average folder as there is still no WUs like QMDs to run on AMD yet. The Intel compiler that Stanford uses in the QMD foling has been sabatoged by Intel to slow down if it's not an Intel processor to extract a severe performance penalty. I've seen other software that does this too when using Intel compilers.

Last edited:
Macaholic said:
Check out this article. I think it should help answer a few of your questions.
On the CT- 479 option...

Power savings not factored in, would my P4c 3.0 OCed to ~3.6 beat the Dothan OCed to its max on a i875 MCH? If I can get the 1:1 memory timings in the high 200s with TCCD/5?

Edit: Looks like you're not stuck with AGP anymore :)

Asus CT-479 qualified mobos

Last edited:
Audio,
My 3.6ghz p4c folding QMD is roughly 450-470PPD ... on the other hand my PM get about 400-430PPD folding QMD.
You probably know 14xx PM beat the P4 by far

74027ts.png

Macaholic said:
Check out this article. I think it should help answer a few of your questions.
So my watt meter is not accurate any more?
How come when I'm folding overclockix full load without AGP card the whole system only consumes 60W ?

Last edited:
overdoze said:
So my watt meter is not accurate any more?
How come when I'm folding overclockix full load without AGP card the whole system only consumes 60W ?
Cold fusion :p

Overdoze,
Have you run a Sandra bandwidth bench on the P-M. Walaka reported production of only 118 ppd/GHz on QMDs. I suspect that his production was lower because he was running a lower FSB and thus didn't have enough bandwidth to fold QMDs efficiently.

hehe I don't run windows ever so that is not possible. May be he is running at lower ram speed and lower FSB than I do. My FSB is at 223 and ram is at 223x5/4=278

Back