• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast New Build - HardLine Water Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have room for 2 more 240mm radiators. Should i just do one more or 2 more? 2 more will be a TON of work since I will need to move the pump to a new location.

Josh

One more will cover you, two will cover you and let you run super low fan speeds.

Any idea what the flow rate is in your loop? I ask cause I had an issue where the radiators I had had paint overspray on the threads, I didn't pay attention to it and it bit me in the rear. Got the loop put together and everything looks great the first 24 hours, but after getting all the air out and it running for a couple of days my flow dropped like a rock, from a nice 1.5gpm to a measly .9gpm at the same pump speed. Not saying this is your issue, but if flow gets blocked enough it can create problems later, one of them being heat build up. When you take it apart to add another rad, do yourself a favor and check the CPU block for any material, its the easiest to take apart and assemble, if it's blocked there is a likely hood that your gpu is also blocked, but use your discretion taking it apart, the EK gpu blocks are a pain to put back together unless they have a formed rubber gasket.

BTW nice looking loop, I really like the hardline tubing, I so wanted to put dye in my system, but it turns out the clear tubing with water just make it look like glass rods in your system, so trick looking.

Ok guys... I need some help deciding what to do here.

I ended up doing some upgrades already by purchasing a new 31" 4k monitor (LG 31mu97) and it's awesome. However my single Titan X is only giving me high 20-low 30 fps on The Division and Mid 30's in BF4 in 4K so I ended up buying another Titan X Hydro Copper Series GPU.

My questions are these:

1. I know I need a second radiator for sure now. I can't imagine 2x Titan X's and an overclocked 8 core 5960x CPU will be kept cool enough on a single 360mm radiator. I am looking at squeezing another 280mm radiator into the front fan area of the case (it won't fit in the bottom). To do this I will need to re-located the pump which brings me to questions 2.
2. I can't figure out where to put the pump. I am looking at a fan mount for it but I don't like this idea for 2 reasons. A) It will block a decent amount of airflow and with only 2 fans bringing air into the case that will suck. B) There isn't enough room for the pump to be sitting on top of a fan and not hit the second GPU. With you guys seeing the images I posted before, where would you recommend placing the pump?

Thanks and I look forward to your insight/suggestions.

Josh

So a little more digging and please correct me if I am wrong on this.

According to this conversion chart, found here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky#3718879 it says my system will be using around 652w of heat.

Capture.JPG

According to this if I have a triple fan, 120mm radiator and run at 1.5gpm that will get me within 15*C of DT. My pump is good for 1500 LPH according to EKWB's website. This equates to 5.49 GPM at 100%. If I cut that down to 50% that is 2.25 GPM which is still within the triple 120mm radiator specs. Think I will be safe using my single 360mm radiator and just bump the pump up? Thanks!

You're going to want 7.120 worth of radiator at a minimum.
If you can't fit it in your case, get a new case.

How are you figuring that? Not questioning it, just trying to learn. Thanks.

Josh

Random thought...
I am wondering if there is an adap*tor to install the Ek-RES X3 240 onto th*e top of a EK-XTOP D5 series pump? Or if* I buy one of the smaller pumps w/attach*ed res can I put the 240 res on there?

I don't see that part listed on the EKWB site so I emailed their support but was wondering if anyone here knew the answer.

This would free up a ton of room since I wouldn't need the pump separate anymore.

Josh

UPDATE:

Made a parts order today. I picked up a EKWB 240mm Radiator, bunch of EKWB rigid compression fittings, a few 90* elbows, 2x 120mm Thermaltake RING fans (for the new radiator) and a pump mount that will mount the pump ontop of one of the 120mm fans. This will give me more clearance to help with piping. I also bought 6 more 500mm PETG tubes and I will be switching to just H20 for cooling instead of the white coolant.

Hopefully parts will be here in the next few days when the new GPU arrives and I'll have it all installed by the weekend.

Josh

Thanks.

Unfortunelty I don't think I can fit another 240mm radiator in my case with the current setup. I'm going to stick with this 2 radiator setup and see how does. With my current setup after gaming for 6 hours my CPU was only 67*C and GPU was in the mid 40's. Doing long video encoding/edits I get the CPU to around 70*c and GPU is still in the 40's so I am thinking I will be ok but who knows. Maybe a new case will be in my future (Hoping not though).

Is the 100w per 120 to get you to 5-10* of DT?

100w per 120 rad.
You need at least 7.

A little conservative don"t you think?
High end rads can handle more then 100w per 120mm.
My q9650 at 4ghz sits nice and cool with only a 120mm rad and single low rpm fan
Thickness plays a role in it too, OP look up the max thermal load of the rads your using/want to use and cut that by a 4'th or 1/2 if you want the system silent.

A little conservative don"t you think?
High end rads can handle more then 100w per 120mm.
My q9650 at 4ghz sits nice and cool with only a 120mm rad and single low rpm fan
Thickness plays a role in it too,
Not that much more. 125w max per 120. 100w is just generic rule of thumb.
Thickness and FPI = surface area. More is better obviously. Type of fan makes a difference too (static pressure). Quiet generally costs you some degrees, thus the reason to add more surface area (rads).

Not that much more. 125w max per 120. 100w is just generic rule of thumb.
Thickness and FPI = surface area. More is better obviously. Type of fan makes a difference too (static pressure). Quiet generally costs you some degrees, thus the reason to add more surface area (rads).

Hwlabs has 120mm rads rated at being able to handle upwards of 300w.

Sure that needs a screamer of a fan at 300w.

After a long night (didn't go to bed till 5:30am) I finally have my system back together with the new Titan X (Now SLI) and second radiator added! I had to relocate the pump as well and had to re-do all the hard-line tubing except for 1 piece. The system looks a LOT cleaner now and I'm going with water with the EK clear additives to help with growth prevention in the loop. I'm really happy with how it looks now!

The loop is 1 hour into it's leak test (I'm going to let it run for 5 hours at 100% pump speed) and then finish all the power wiring. I bought a single cable shielded kit from Corsair to eliminate all the excess wiring and extensions that was in the back. It should clean that up a bit as well. I can't wait to see how the system does now with the 2 Titan X's and also see what kind of temps I am running since, according to everyone here, I am still 1x 240mm radiator short of what I should be. My fans are all running at 100% (they are not on a fan controller) so we will see how it does.

A few pictures for you all!

12810086_10153310397965981_293284177_o.jpg
12499546_10153310398340981_721577317_o.jpg
12674850_10153311497300981_944385964_o.jpg

I'll post 3DMark and Unigen Heaven scores once the system is back up later today.

Josh

All finished and up and running!

12674790_10153312590250981_1736122224_o.jpg 12722418_10153312590100981_753791279_o.jpg 12874468_10153312590085981_2084209482_o.jpg 3DMark.JPG Unigine4K.JPG

How are these scores? I have the GPUs overclocked slightly (+80 for Core and +90 for Memory). I need to learn how to OC better though. I feel like I should be able to get more out of them...

It looks 1000x better aesthetically now than it did before! Love it!

Josh

Need to loop Heaven a few times and get the water temp equalized to see where your component temps plateau at.
Might want to run a CPU test in the background too.

Back