• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast New Build - HardLine Water Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay well I am running a bit hot... CPU is touching 100*C after about 10 minutes in Intel Extreme Tuning and with Heaven running in the background. GPUs never went above 48*C.

I'm going to try and back the voltage down on my CPU overclock and try and cool it down a bit.

Just to give you an idea, I ran Heaven and IXTU stress test at the same time on my Sig rig, and my CPU temp hit 85C with both CPU and GPUs overclocked. Your running a completely different calibre of system there, with considerably more heat load and 2.120 less radiator.

Yes, I know im a bit low on the radiator count. I may be able to squeeze one more in there... But it would be a tight fit... I'm wondering if I got to much TIM applied when i put the CPU block back on because it wasn't running even close to these temps before.

Josh

If you think you have a bad mount, try stressing the CPU only to compare to temps from before.

Okay,
Everything seems to be ok with the mount. It was just high-voltage with the extra GPU that was making it run hot.

I was able to lower my Core V from 1.33 to 1.28 and that made a nice difference. I am running stable and temps are mid 80's and peaking around 91*C with both IXTU and Heaven running.

Under normal gaming loads I am seeing 65*C from the CPU and both GPUs are 49-51*C running The Division at 4K (and averaging 50 fps). :D

Josh

Okay guys,
Now I want to add a final radiator to my system... I'm still not overheating but I wouldn't mind being a bit cooler. I am however curious, if I were to add another 240x30mm radiator how many *C drop can I expect? If it's only 1 or 2* then I probably won't do it. Just wondering if it's worth it. Thanks.

Josh

I would expect 5°C on the GPUs and 10°C on the CPU, you're still fairly well under what we suggest for your heat load.

What fans, what RPM, and what FPI are you running though?

Oh wow. Okay that is a nice difference! I'll end up doing that then.

Current cooling is as follows:

360mm EKWB PE Radiator (19FPI) with 3x Thermaltake Ring 12 Fans 1500RPM at 40.6 CFM.
Second radiator is 240mm EKWB SE series (slim) (22FPI) with 2x of the same fans listed above.

I would add another 240mm radiator thats at least 30mm thick. I can't use another EKWB because they are about 3mm to long to fit in the bottom area of my case. I need one that is 277mm max length and 30mm max thickness.

Josh

Josh, good luck. Did you spend the $35 to buy the Intel Overclock protection plan for your 5960x? Cheap insurance to replace a @$1000 cpu if you damage it from OCing. I have purchased this for my 3770k, 4790k, 3930k and now 5960x and thank God haven't needed to do it. However with the $$$ you have tied up I would do it.

As to Radiators, you can NEVER have enough. That could be expected from a guy running 3 480s below and having a MO-RA3-420 on my 4790k rig!.

ATMINSIDE nailed it.

I think your problem is the limitation of the case you purchased. Your are trying to squeeze so much into a tight space but rads need room.

BTW, congrats on your Daughter. My wife and I have 3 daughters , 3 son-in-laws and 5 grandchildren (6th on the way) and you NEVER forget that first child.

Last edited:
If you add another rad of similar specs it'll come out about like I said.

Don't know the performance of your Thermaltake fans but I sourced some Gentle Typhoon AP15s. Very good for rads.

I know from your posts you are in love with the case but for more significant rad space either get a new case or consider an external radiator. My Watercool MO-RA3-420 Pro would solve all of your problems😎👍

Sounds good guys.

Maybe I'll add another large radiator to the back of the case on the outside. IDK we will see. My wife is starting to question why new boxes keep showing up for the computer. :-/

Josh

Josh, my wife and I have been married 42 years and here's our tip. I don't ask when she gets a Talbot's box and she looks away when I get a Newegg box😄

I want to stick with the EKWB rads but it's slightly to long to fit in the bottom. Longest rad that will fit is 276mm. EKWB is 280. What's the best radiator you recommend? Thanks.

I recommend you make a list of what will fit before asking for suggestions

Josh, I read the review on the EK SE rad and unfortunately it didn't perform very well for the space it took. Can you replace it with a thicker rad? EK PE? Just a hunch, but the volume of liquid you have in the rads coupled with the single D5 might not be enough to cool the system to the point you want. I've learned to over rad which necessitates the purchase of bigger cases or use of less heat producing components. A 5960X OC'd (I own one) with 2 TitanXs (I only own a single GTX980TI) can dump a ton of heat into a loop.

I you want to achieve a 10 degree delta between the ambient temperature of your room and the water temp in the loop during max runs, you need more rad space and coolant capacity. I own a EK Coolstream 480PE rad and it only has a 300 ml water capacity vs the 500 ml capacity of my XSPC RX480 ver3 rads used in my 5960x system. I'm using 3 of these 480 rads with a 5960x OC'd to 4.4Ghz and an EVGA GTX980TI SC stock (1102) water cooled with an EK block and MAX runs my delta is 7-8 degrees because of the rad capacity. I use an external digital centigrade thermometer and the XSPC digital temp probe to view the delta.

I looked at your case online and a though occurred that there appears to be a lot of blockage between the 120mm fan spacings on the rear. Your 360 rad is probably having a tough time expelling all of the heat. It's probably worse in the front and perhaps on the bottom.

Clearly another radiator will help.

Last edited:
I've always liked Alphacool myself

Cool. I've read good things about them too. I'll be picking one of those up.

I played some games last night for about an hour and after an hour my CPU was 81*C and both GPU's were 60*C. I also measured the temp of the outside front panel of my case (Which gets hot due to the front radiator blowing towards it as it funnels air up over the hard-drives) and the front outside of the case was 105*F! Def. time to get another radiator... I'm even considering mounting a second large radiator to the outside rear of the case and adding 3 more fans to help move more air. Thoughts on this?

Josh

Back