• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast New Build - HardLine Water Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
An external rad with quick disconnects through some holes in the back of the case can greatly expand cooling potential.

An external rad with quick disconnects through some holes in the back of the case can greatly expand cooling potential.

I use a MO-RA3 420 soley for my 4790k at 4.7 and 2 R9 290s. I think the problem here is OP loves his case and probably should have purchased a bigger case for custom water cooling.

I use a MO-RA3 420 soley for my 4790k at 4.7 and 2 R9 290s. I think the problem here is OP loves his case and probably should have purchased a bigger case for custom water cooling.

^^THIS.

Yes I love this case. I could get away with the case without issues if I lowered my OC on the CPU BUT I want the speed too...

If I were to add something like the MO-RA3 420 to my setup, would I need to add a second pump or would my D5 I have now work okay?

Thanks!

Josh

The MO RA3-420 is the biggest external MO-RA. You can use the MO RA3 which is nearly the equivalent of 3 360 rads. I run a single D5 pump with my MO-RA3-420 and it is fine. You have two more rads so if you keep the flow rate high you should be fine.

Cool.

One more question, are you running an extension of some kind to the radiator to power all the fans or do you have a separate power supply of some kind? I'm going to do some research to see how this would work out. Thanks.

Josh

Josh what I did was used a NZXT 5 channel fan controller and used 3 fans per channel. You can buy 1 to 3 splitters so I had each 3 fan bank hooked into a channel, I bought extenders also. PC performance and/or Sidewinder computers was my source for parts.

Finally I used Koolance Quik Release couplings ( I think QD4s 2 male/2 female) to allow quick decoupling without losing coolant.

Why 8? Are you planning to run them in push/pull on a MO RA3?

Yes.

Here is what I am looking at going with.
image.png

Josh

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe 8 is overkill since I already have 2 other radiators. It would save some money.

OMG, Josh you go first class! The MO RA3 360 pro will be plenty. I snagged a MO RA3-420 Pro at a really good price from a builder who ordered it from a guy who backed out. I got the rad, fan bracket and pedestal feet for $275 delivered. It is a BIG rad. The 360 is a bit smaller BUT will give you tons of rad capacity. If you want go with all 8 fans and you will really have an incredible amount of extra capacity. Since you already have a beautifully piped internal system, just add on the MO RA3. You might have to run the pump full. I ran a XSPC RX360 internal rad together with my MO RA3 on a single Swiftech 655b D5 pump (setting 4 out of 5 on a vario pump) and it was fine.

Eh might as well go all out... I get to write the whole system off for work anyway.

So those parts will work okay and I shouldn't need anything else?

Eh might as well go all out... I get to write the whole system off for work anyway.

So those parts will work okay and I shouldn't need anything else?
Do you have extension wires for the fan wires? Those are 4 pin PWN fans. Where are you going to plug 8 of them in. You need an 8 pin block. My XSPC 140 MM fans are three pin so I used a 1 to three splitter (3 fans per splitter) attached that to a @20" extender which then pugged into the fan cable for each channel of the NZXT fan controller.

Unless your mb has a ton of PWN 4 pin adapters, you need to figure out how to connect them to the case. Be careful about attaching all 8 fans to one connection as that might be too much power draw. Check the power specs on your fans. I suspect even 4 fans per connector might be OK.

I did, it is an awesome splitter.
Currently, I only own four of them... :p

Yes I would be using a splitter.

ATM, when you say I only need one more radiator are you saying one more 240? My CPU under load when folding hits mid 90s within minutes of starting. I think the big external would be my best bet.

Yes I would be using a splitter.

ATM, when you say I only need one more radiator are you saying one more 240? My CPU under load when folding hits mid 90s within minutes of starting. I think the big external would be my best bet.

You could run your whole system off of a single MO RA3 360 PRO.

You could run your whole system off of a single MO RA3 360 PRO.
ABSOLUTELY! A MO-RA3-360 is nearly the equivalent of 3-360mm radiators. Some puriest claim the MO-RA isn't as efficient but the data for the version 3 (MO-RA3) appears o dispute this.

I have a MO-RA3-420 with a 4790k OC'd to 4.7 (vcore 1.3) and 2 Sapphire Tri-X R9 290s in a single loop. When I play games max out the delta rarely exceeds 7C! At idle it is @ 3 C. I measure temps by utilizing a free standing digital centigrade thermometer mounted near my case externally and compare it to the digital readout coming from the temp probe(XSPC) mounted in the cooling loop. My ambient temp rises when I crank the system max because more heat is outside but I'm still able to measure the true delta between the cooling loop temp and the external ambient temp.

In addition, I sometimes use Aida64 to measure the core temps coming off og the cpu/gpu etc. I have the same setup in my 5960x which uses 3 XSPC RX480 rads for a single 5960x at 4.4 (vcore 1.335) and a single GTX980TI SC in s single loop. The deltas are a degree higher at idle and no more than 7-8C at Max setting.

My personal feeling after running the MO-RA3-420 is it could easily handle a 5960x and 4 TitanXs.

Back