• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast Startup (hibernate on shutdown) can cause disk corruption

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Just saw an interesting sticky at Terabyte forums from 2012:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=427
[This is one of the oldest/best drive imaging companies in the world]

Ever since Fast Startup came out, I always bypassed it by

going to full reboot with this shortcut: %windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -r -t 00
and
going to full shut down with this shortcut: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f /t 0

But I just noticed that my 2016 Skylake motherboard also has a Fast Boot option in BIOS.
What exactly is BIOS Fast Boot and can it also cause problems like modern Windows Fast Startup?

Fast boot options in the bios do not have anything to do with your OS AFAIK. It bypasses checks/ start of certain hardware items in the bios to speed up POST. Typically if you 'highlight' an option in the bios, it tells you what it's for. But it shouldn't have anything to do with the problems in the article linked. It does not in any way modify a hdd when shutdown or on boot.

Last edited:
Yep, i got used to disabling hibernate on all version because sometimes i would get the "Windows did not shutdown correctly" warning on startup and more rarely it would stall and crash on shutdown. Disabling hibernate (not Fast Startup) cured all of it and released the 16gb of space it used on the SSD :thup:

If I read it correctly, that feature might possibly cause problems if you change data on a disk after Windows is "shut down". How many of us ever do that? The only likely use case might be multi-boot OSes... good to know for those situations but I don't think most have anything to worry about.

This might also explain why I had a Windows fail to start condition when I pulled a disk out... that was a one off though.

Back