• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest 8Core CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok i lied i can play BF3 on high flawlessly, but on ultra it can get choppy at times, i wanna oc some more and see what itll do for me though.... whats a good free GPU stability tester/stress test

MSI Kombustor is not bad.
But some games are actually better at detecting unstability: I alm thinking about Dirt2/3 and BF3.

No no and more no dont buy sapphire its crap :) keep to the big brands!! You must not save money like this

Yeah I think I'm just going to get another 6850 as they seem to be cheap compared to other GPUs and crossfire them

Haha its actually £10 cheaper than I paid. well I think I'm going to have to wait for the new GPU as I'm in need of a bigger and faster hard drive first, I under estimated how much space I would actually need. So two 6850s would be able to run BF3 and ultra without a problem?

If you don't care about the shadow quality a whole bunch you can try turning the shadows down . It takes up LOTS of video memory, something I learned when I was trying to run all ultra settings on my gtx295. only about a 100mB difference between a 295 and your card so that could be the issue. After turning down the shadow quality the game played a lot more smoothly. It was only getting about 45fps though but it didn't matter a whole lot since I was only playing single player. I have not played it on my X6 cpu though but I'd expect the framerate to be the same since I don't think the game was pushing my 965 to the edge.
For online multiplayer I try to turn off or reduce the amount of graphics enhancements as much as possible. But that is my personal preference.

Give the shadows things a try before going for another card. You'll notice a difference if your looking for it but overall it doesn't impact the quality a whole lot.

Last edited:
Perhaps but tbh read about stuff before you buy it will save you alot of money :p btw why run ultra and not high? I run custom with most at high cuz ultra annoys me abit

They lied to you bro. 6850 can play BF3 on medium at the most.

I ran mine on ultra, 2x msaa, no motion blur at 1920x1080 with a mild overclock on the card just using CCC. So that's not true. Unless that FX 4100 is going to bottle neck him, he will be fine.

Well I'm a big gamer and the main reason I built by pc was for gaming, I want to play all games on the highest possible setting so looks like I will have to run two GPUs as my card is only a few weeks old and I don't want to replace it just yet. I'm glad to know that my CPU is capable of the task though

When did you built this pc cuz it seems like a medi gamer to me at most no offense tho :)

@rescuetoaster unless you play all on max settings its not ultra and then try a 64 player game that will kill most pc's :p

Haha its actually £10 cheaper than I paid. well I think I'm going to have to wait for the new GPU as I'm in need of a bigger and faster hard drive first, I under estimated how much space I would actually need. So two 6850s would be able to run BF3 and ultra without a problem?

[At this point i'm going to put a disclaimer in]

Crossfire like SLI is unpredictable, it works for some games but not for others, so it might not work at all. after a quick Internet scan all i could find is 6850's in Crossfire working fine in these listed games, BF3 and Crisis 2 are not listed there.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/302?vs=291

You should do more research to absolutely confirm BF3 and Crisis 2 will scale up your GPU's in Crossfire. your looking for 50 FPS or more for smooth game play

I might look more later for you if i have time.

When did you built this pc cuz it seems like a medi gamer to me at most no offense tho :)

@rescuetoaster unless you play all on max settings its not ultra and then try a 64 player game that will kill most pc's :p

Ok, everything that is adjustable to "Ultra" settings are set to ultra, which is a far cry from medium.

Frakk is right - CF is expensive, and won't give you reliably better performance. You'd be better of selling the 6850 and getting a new 7 series.

Id prefer to buy a gtx560ti or better value is unbeatable :) the zotac version i got could handle 125mhz core clock and 100mhz on memory on stock voltages ( its the amp edition) and it runs ultra like a charm + its not that bad but it gets hot if ur not watercooling it or atleast aftermarket stuff :) and tbh in the future for Sli geforce kicks *** :p

Back