• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest memory for an C6H?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thick8

With the memory prices being what they are right now I was thinking of buying faster memory to go along with a new Zen CPU. I’m currently running 3000 memory slightly OCed. What is the fastest memory speed people are realizing with this board?

When you say "new Zen CPU" I assume you're referring to the 3000 series?

The Asus website lists the maximum supported speed at 3200MHz but I imagine you can do better than that. I'm not sure what the maximum setting in the BIOS is. In terms of real world overclocking performance, I'm not sure if anyone has enough data on pairing the 3000 series CPUs with the x370 chipset to comment at this time. Do you know if your current memory is limited by CPU or self limited? I would suggest trying the current sticks with the new CPU first and see what you can do.

Johan would know better. My TIACHI and 1700X topped out at 3400 c16 ....... right now with the new chipps coming out its speculation but the talk is the X370 boards will probably top out around 3600 but nobody knows yet as the embargo wont lift till Sunday. Who knows you might get more.

I was reading that the memory “sweet spot” for the Zen 3000 will be 3744. So I was looking at 3600 c16 Samsung chip memory. I think the 3200 limit is CPU based on the first gen Ryzen, not the MB. But I’m not certain. I went with this board originally because the power supplied to the CPU was considered way overkill. I’m hoping for a 5 GHz CPU OC and don’t want the memory to be a limiting factor.

3200 is jdec spec for the new chips on X570. I dont think you can expect that on the earler chipset though im no memory expert. Buildzoid has a pretty good video up on his youtube channel comparing the 3 chipsets X370 X470 and X570 for compatibility. Thats where my info is coming from as his expectation on X370 is around 3600. Currently most guys are limited to around 3443 or something like that. If you are planning on using your current board like i possibly am at least for a bit then it will be a lets see what happens. SUNDAY ill know more if the local Canada Computer has a 3900X in stock if not early next week.

If youre buying ahead of the launch the 3600 C16 is not a bad start depending on your ussage. If you plan to upgrade to an X570 board in the future and want to take advantage of the faster ram possibility down the road ...... is that gonna be enough for your needs.

Magnificentbiscuit has a post on reddit with a chart from AMD. That’s where I got the info for the 3744 sweet spot. It’s a good read.

Without going into details the new CPUs should be able to run 3600 MHz easily enough. Not sure if the board will play a part in that or not. I have tried to test a new one on a CHVII x470 but the BIOS isn't working quite right yet. You might just want to play it safe and wait a bit until more testing is public.

Theres allot of different opinions floating around ..... everything will be spelled out after the embargo lifts sunday. Once people get their hands on these there will be more info available.

3600 works.
I ended up with the Crucial Ballistic Elite 2x8. I set the timings to the XMP value that are in the BIOS, Bumped the voltage to 1.35, and off I went. I have another set coming tomorrow so I’ll see how it works with 4 sticks.

Now I just have to see what kind of speed I can get out of this 3600 Ryzen...

I spoke too fast. There is an odd issue with the faster memory. I posted it in the memory forum.

Back