• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest SATA II SSD I can buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

92GTA

Registered
I have an older system I built a few years ago I'm looking to upgrade (specs in sig).

One of the things I plan on is a faster HD. I currently have 3x 74GB WD Raptors in RAID 0, which at the time I built my system, totally blew away the fastest SSDs that were made.

ASUS shows the MB supports: 5x SATA 3 Gb/s ports, Support RAID

My question is, what is the absolute fastest SSD made which meets those SATA II specs? Or maybe there is a SATA III SSD which is even faster that will work even though my MB doesn't fully support the SATA II max bandwidth?

Also, since I only need a max of 120GBs for my C drive (I store all of my files on a storage drive), I'd like to buy 2 or 3 of the SSDs to do RAID 0 for even more speed like I did with my Raptors.

Thanks!!!! Alex

many of the 128gb ssd's have slow small write data rates. you need to consider if you are worried about the incompressible write or not as that will have a big effect on what is the wise choice

many of the 128gb ssd's have slow small write data rates. you need to consider if you are worried about the incompressible write or not as that will have a big effect on what is the wise choice

Oh yeah for sure, if that's too big to have a fast rate then I can grab 2 or 3 smaller ones. I figured the tech would be further along by now I guess. What sizes have the fastest speeds nowadays?

I would look into the 240-256gb sizes. and you can also gain from going to sataiii on the small writes as well.
no reason to limit yourself for future considerations

I would look into the 240-256gb sizes. and you can also gain from going to sataiii on the small writes as well.
no reason to limit yourself for future considerations

Ok cool, thanks! Any suggestions for what the fastest is right now? I'm partial to Mushkin and would like to stick with them...

EDIT: Looks like this is the fastest one they make:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226226

Anyone running 2 or 3 of these in a RAID 0 for even more speed?

Last edited:
Back