• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest way to install 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I can't avoid this anymore.

FAH and Java based programs are having fits over my rig.
Time for a Windows fresh install.
I have my system image and an up to date copy of my install drive, so I'll have all my stuff.

Here's the question: Is there a faster way to install Windows?
Like install just my programs and stuff?
That way any bad settings would be removed.
(Or are my installed programs to blame?)

There is easy transfer, but I fear that using it would copy my settings over and make the fresh install just as useless as the current install.

Or is the only viable option just to suck it up and do it the old way: Install everything again?

Fastest install is over gigabit from an install server.
Next would be over USB.

Use ninite to install the essential programs all at once.

Next time, make a clean install with your generic programs, drivers, updates, and settings. Make an image of it.
Use that image to flash back when things start borking.

Fastest install is over gigabit from an install server.
Next would be over USB.

Use ninite to install the essential programs all at once.

Next time, make a clean install with your generic programs, drivers, updates, and settings. Make an image of it.
Use that image to flash back when things start borking.

:shock:
Woah! Rapid reply!

Ninite?
Exactly the software I was looking for thanks!

I used to do full 7 installs in ~5-10 minutes (including SP1, software, and drivers) when working at the university.

My record was my desktop.
Just under 3 minutes on Gigabit.

If we needed something specific we would set one computer up, then clone it with Clonezila to our server. Then use Clonezilla over Gigabit to flash it to X number of computers.
Had 12 desktops pulling the same image for a research lab one day :D

I used to do full 7 installs in ~5-10 minutes (including SP1, software, and drivers) when working at the university.

My record was my desktop.
Just under 3 minutes on Gigabit.

If we needed something specific we would set one computer up, then clone it with Clonezila to our server. Then use Clonezilla over Gigabit to flash it to X number of computers.
Had 12 desktops pulling the same image for a research lab one day :D

That's epic xD

Hehe, all I have is my Win 7 Ultimate DVD I burned with the ISO my college gives me.

I was more concerned with how long finding all those programs takes, but that's not a problem anymore.
Actually, that means I can go and delete a lot of those installers I have been saving over thee past 4 years ^_^

Yay! More free space :)

EDIT: So take a system images AFTER I install drivers and basic programs?

That's epic xD

Hehe, all I have is my Win 7 Ultimate DVD I burned with the ISO my college gives me.

I was more concerned with how long finding all those programs takes, but that's not a problem anymore.
Actually, that means I can go and delete a lot of those installers I have been saving over thee past 4 years ^_^

Yay! More free space :)

EDIT: So take a system images AFTER I install drivers and basic programs?

I would do updates, drivers, basic Windows settings, and things like Java/Chrome/Flash then make an image.

Then just keep it on two different HDDs (or a HDD and DVD, just any two separate storage locations) so you'll have a copy of it.
To flash it I would use a USB stick instead of a DVD. Cuts time WAY down.

I would do updates, drivers, basic Windows settings, and things like Java/Chrome/Flash then make an image.

Then just keep it on two different HDDs (or a HDD and DVD, just any two separate storage locations) so you'll have a copy of it.
To flash it I would use a USB stick instead of a DVD. Cuts time WAY down.

:thup:

Bootable USB here I come!
Actually, if I did that I wouldn't have to fish out my DVD drive from my closet :p

ASAP I'll make another system image incase things go wrong.

Now, my serial key.... I know how to uninstall it with slmgr, but is that really needed?

Can I just install Win 7 and use my current key (the same key installed on my rig now) and have Windows activate and be genuine?
Last time I checked XP did like that and activation would fail. :-/

No need to deactivate unless someone else will be using your image.

Okay so I can just use the same key on the fresh install as long as the hardware is the same?

Yeah, and if it says its invalid just call Microsoft and they'll activate it over the phone.
That happens sometimes after multiple activations.

Yeah, and if it says its invalid just call Microsoft and they'll activate it over the phone.
That happens sometimes after multiple activations.

:thup:
Awesome.

Oh, 1 more thing:
A fresh install meant I can destroy my RAID array and make a new one.
Currently using 128Kb stripe on RAID 0.

Should I go lower? say 64 Kb stripe?
I read that you should pick a stripe size based on # of files on disk / size of files.
Then pick a stripe close to that value? :shrug:

Unless you're running some stupidly small file sizes, just leave 128KB.

Unless you're running some stupidly small file sizes, just leave 128KB.

Yup. I run windows on 10Kb text files :p

Alright thanks ATM, another hour or so and Macrium will be finished imaging my drive and I can begin the fresh install.

Last edited:
Okay... All backed up. Exported chrome bookmarks....

Kinda nervous. :screwy:
With any luck, I'll be back up and running in a few hours.

EDIT: OH GOD THIS IS AWFUL.
I have to use IE?? and I only get 1024x768 resolution??
:p

*sigh* It'll do till chrome gets installed :p

So yeah, thanks ATM, installing from a USB is waaaaayyyyyyy faster than a DVD. Only took ~ 10 minutes to get it all setup!!

Last edited:
You can fresh install and immediately make an image.
Future reimaging back to that state would be as quick as a minute or two.

You can fresh install and immediately make an image.
Future reimaging back to that state would be as quick as a minute or two.

Yeah, I just finished making an image after I got some anti-virus, drivers and all the security update from Windows update.

That will be my "fresh install" image for the future.
Next step: buy an SSD for the OS one day :D

Back