• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faulty power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spawn-Inc

my hard drives keep dying on me, i've gone through 3 of them so far and it's been the same problem each time.

i also started a thread in the storage section, not sure what the problem is.

my hard drives keep dying on me, even the ones that get sent back to me after rma.

i've had to RMA my main Os drive twice now, one of my other drives once and it seems my programs drive is going to need an rma soon.

all of the drives i sent back, all had the same symptom. they would spin down and click, then spin back up. sometimes it would freeze the computer to the point of resetting or just for 10 seconds or so.

i got made at seagate and changed my os drive to wd in hopes that it would fix the issue. so far it's been fine.

my programs drive is failing by just disappearing from windows. i replaced it's sata cable but it is still doing it.

could this be a power supply issue? i've got plenty from a known brand.
850watt Enermax.

according to the psu calulator, i am only using 574watts with the system in my sig.

to me it seems it could only be the power supply messing things up.

here is a SS of everast and my voltages. is it fine to use that or should i get the mm out?

voltages.jpg

hope it makes sense, any ideas?

Considering that Everest uses mobo sensors for voltage, I would get out a DMM and check the voltages. You could also have a short in the PSU which may be causing the HDD's to die so often. Have you been losing any other components as well? It could also just be bad luck, and you may have gotten faulty drives to replace faulty drives. If you haven't lost any other components, I would be looking at the HDD's first, and maybe try something different.

Definitely don't trust software. Break out your DMM and see what you get idle and under load (load up your CPU and the GPU as well). Take measurements at the main harness as well as at your HDD connectors just to make sure there isn't a drop between your PSU & the SATA connectors at the HDDs. Since HDDs operate @ 12v you should only need to worry about the +12v reading (yellow wire positive, black wire ground).

Back