• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fighting dust

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demien88

Hi there guys. I noticed recently that my case insides attract way too much dust too quickly, plus I have unwanted visitor inside apparently Mr. Spider. I do have three fans one intake front and two exhausts one top one rear excluding PSU fan ofc. My room is kinda dusty and I placed my case down on floor because far as I know cold air goes in floor level and hot rises up.
Now what bothers me could I change rotation of fans to reduce dust in case and which fans to flip if thats the case.

From what I can tell from the crappy reviews online is that there are no intake filters for this case. As long are there is airflow dust will be an issue while you have this case. There are aftermarket filters you can buy but may not work well with this one. You may just need to clean it more frequently is all.

As far as spiders go, my rigs are all located in my basement and I do the best I can to keep the area spider free but its an impossible fight. They will get in and make homes in secure areas for them. (i.e. PC cases). Again, regular cleaning is the only real solution here. Sorry.

Right now it sounds like you have much more "exhaust" than "intake" with two of the former and only one of the latter. Plus, your PSU fan is acting as an exhaust fan to some extent. So you now have a strong "negative" pressure component. which maximizes air flow through the case but also brings in more dust. One thing that would help is to remove one of the exhaust fans in the top or back and go with a stronger intake fan in the front. Or if there is a second spot for a fan in front, even move one of the other fans there. But the best approach (as Blaylock has said) is to use compressed air to regularly blow out the case. Make sure you stop each fan from turning with your finger to avoid damaging the bearings when you shoot it with compressed air. For the PSU, insert a plastic coffee straw or something non metallic through the grill to stop the fan.

PSU do have dust filter on the case so no problems there. Idk how to explain this... There are no filters but rather some sort of grill stuck from inside of the case that prevents most of the dust to get in small holes but still wide enough for dust to get in. Done some cleaning with soft brush but have to remove some parts to clean it better.
Would flipping rear fan to intake do any good?

Not really. The grill doesn't function as a dust filter as you have mentioned. Ideally you would want your intake pressure to be higher than your exhaust assuming you have dust filters on intakes. Without dust filters it makes no difference. If air is entering the case (as it must) then dust too is entering. The only way around this without filters is to locate the case in a room that has less dust.

Flipping your rear exhaust fan will likely result in higher case temps as it will be fighting with the CM 212x air flow.

Tnx on all responses guys. Will probably just clean everything completely every few months. But will buy filters.
That grill takes just little % of dust so its no use at all

PSU do have dust filter on the case so no problems there. Idk how to explain this... There are no filters but rather some sort of grill stuck from inside of the case that prevents most of the dust to get in small holes but still wide enough for dust to get in. Done some cleaning with soft brush but have to remove some parts to clean it better.
Would flipping rear fan to intake do any good?

Molecular attraction will cause some dust paticles to cling to the mesh at the edges of the holes and other dust will cling to those that cling the mesh over time. Some clings, some passes through but the build up increases over time because of molecular attraction and the diminishing size of the mesh holes as dust build up in them.

Fought this issue all the time and there's not much you can do. You load up a case with a bunch of Deltas like I did blowing out the case was just a monthly ritual. The only way to get around it is to reduce flow or clear the environment which in my case was impossible with all the pollen and dust outside sadly.

I tried going the filter route and that worked to an extent but it just make my case temps awful and i'd still have to clean the PC out as much or more than I did without the filters

Molecular attraction will cause some dust paticles to cling to the mesh at the edges of the holes and other dust will cling to those that cling the mesh over time. Some clings, some passes through but the build up increases over time because of molecular attraction and the diminishing size of the mesh holes as dust build up in them.

xD ok I will check PSU for visible dust or anything similar.

I'm with you on fighting dust. It's one of my biggest pet peeves for computer stuff, and I don't like cleaning it out! My solution (that I'm still working out) was to build a box with a separate compartment that I can slide a house sized air filter into (16x16x1 from Home Depot). That way I can easily change out that filter every six months or so when it gets filthy. All air gets drawn through that filter and pushed into the computer box (that has a couple of servers in it) that makes positive pressure in there, and exits through some holes on the far side from the input.

The project so far: https://goo.gl/photos/eMYntioGmeJAY7gb8

Back